1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
I'm looking for a nice set of door panels. My plan this winter is to do the interior and the rear end. I just got the paint for the interior. I have most chrome suff but I wonder about where to get fabrics for the seats? The rubber mat for the cargo floor will be made out of small ribbed rubber mats. I hope it will do it.

I inquired at Legendary if they were going to do upholstery for 4 door/wagon variety of early Darts/Valiants. Was told no. I suspect NOS material is probably available from SMS Fabrics and probably pricey. Since both the front and rear seats in my wagon were trash, I decided to go another route - swap in a complete early Barracuda interior. I was going to use 65 seats but found they are just too wide for the fold down buddy seat i have. 66 seat frames are much narrower - the buddy seat will have no problem fitting in between the 66 bucket seats. 66 Barracuda upholstery is no problem buying so it all ought to work out OK.

Forgot to mention that the Barracuda rear fold down seat fit's like it was made for it, even where the hinges mount to the wheel well.

Forgot to mention that the Barracuda rear fold down seat fit's like it was made for it, even where the hinges mount to the wheel well.

That is really cool, never heard of anyone doing that before, plus, the Barracuda's had a nice pattern, better than the Darts and Valiants IMO. Got any pics of the install?

That is really cool, never heard of anyone doing that before, plus, the Barracuda's had a nice pattern, better than the Darts and Valiants IMO. Got any pics of the install?

I've removed the wagon seat back latch catches from both wheel wells as there was no way they'd work with the latch bar on the Barracuda seat back. I've still got to weld the Barracuda catches in. The seat bottom fits perfectly, as it should since it's the same floorpan. Was gonna try to find time to weld the brackets in tomorrow since it's gonna be cooler out. I'll snap a couple of pics tomorrow at the least.

Started up the wagon today. She ran like a dream. Fired up on the third try after 4 month!!

Need to start with the head liner. Not sure but I think I need to headliner to make one for the wagon. It is way much longer!

I finally found a company that will make the complete new hgeadliner for me. Is it someone else that needs one? Let me know and I can ask what the price tag will be.

I finally found a company that will make the complete new hgeadliner for me. Is it someone else that needs one? Let me know and I can ask what the price tag will be.

I need a headliner for my wagon as well. Let me know what the outcome is.

Looks great Ulf,
I live in a high desert. 2500 foot elevation so it gets pretty cold we just don't get the snow like that

No, they could not do it. Now I found the manufacturer to one of the biggest suppliers in US. We are working to get the right material. But they can do it and have the right measurements.

So how is everything else on this car ...other than the headliner is it a "finished" car?

So how is everything else on this car ...other than the headliner is it a "finished" car?

No, it will take some time. Plan is to paint it autumn next year. Right know I'm collecting vital parts for it. I just got a company that takes orders on headliners for early A-bodies wagons.

No, it will take some time. Plan is to paint it autumn next year. Right know I'm collecting vital parts for it. I just got a company that takes orders on headliners for early A-bodies wagons.

I see .....I will be watching this one ......I have wagon fever really bad and I am working on a 68 dodge coronet wagon now.

I am watching other wagon builders to see how they get around the hard stuff like headliners and window seals for wagons which seem almost impossible to find in some cases. Who would have ever thought the day would come that so many wagons were thrown away and crushed, they are actually "rare" cars these days.

From a restoration perspective wagon seems to be hard to restore due to lack of parts. NOS parts are hard to come by. I have collected 65 Dart wagon stuff for 5 years and needs one tail light before I can start. But this winter the 2 dr sedan is next in line. But next winter the wagon will get paint and headliners. Will do the mouldings and the tail lights. Then I will continue to look for decent red interior parts. Of cause the front end/engine and tranny will be overhauled so I just drop the body over it.

BTW. I might have some NOS mouldings for you!

So the winter is around the corner. The nice one owner 1966 Valiant factory built to handicap specs here in Sweden I bougt last Sunday included almost mint 7.00x13 Trelleborg stud tires from 1986!!! I will use them this winter. They reminds of offroad tires. 7/16" deep pattern in the tires!!! Hoo hoo hoo, I can drag Santa this year!! Lol

:glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC_0507.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC_0508.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC_0509.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0516.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_0518.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 373
Today I found the latch for the trunk. NOS only! Really looking forward to do this car. Has anyone bought new material for the two seats for a Dart 270?

You might check with SMS out in Oregon (I think). They specialize in NOS material.

My wagon came with a roll of NOS basket weave insert material. The invoice says that the model # VR-62.

Attachments

• 20151212_192911.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 363
  • 20151212_192938.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 346
After thinking about the restoration that will start in August I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of doing a full blown one but at the same time I want to have a car that I can use. I just love my wagon.

When me and my sons are going to Vegas I'm thinking to stop by Lance to meet him. He was the one who sold me this car. I would be great to meet the old lady who had it since new too.

Well, I guess that the plans have to be detailed so I know what to do!

:burnout:

-
Back