1965 Dodge Dart Charger convertible

-
Ulf. Don just told me about your thread. I went from your first photo to the last. What great attention to detail and wonderful workmanship! Your A.C. pics helped me out A lot. Very Nice. sgrip65
Good Jerry!
I must admit that last week I found out how great the Internet has been to our hobby.
I located and was able to buy a NOS Dartcharger fender emblem in mint condition!! I remember back in the early 80ies, writing a letter, include SASE and wait two to three month.
Talk about improvement.

Screenshot_20190217-161530_eBay.jpg

Good Jerry!
I must admit that last week I found out how great the Internet has been to our hobby.
I located and was able to buy a NOS Dartcharger fender emblem in mint condition!! I remember back in the early 80ies, writing a letter, include SASE and wait two to three month.
Talk about improvement.

View attachment 1715290576

Very very nice. sgrip65

Ulf - I remember those days when one scoured Hemmings! So a DartChsrger Emblem was gold colored with black paint - I thought they were chrome plated with black paint. I like the gold/bkack scheme

Ulf - I remember those days when one scoured Hemmings! So a DartChsrger Emblem was gold colored with black paint - I thought they were chrome plated with black paint. I like the gold/bkack scheme
Don! It is chrome plated with yellow/black insert.

Finally I was able to glass bead the fan and re-spray it. I even added the stamping ENGINE SIDE in white.

20190302_085209.jpg

I recently pulled an original, complete factory AC system for a slant 6. The fan for it was a 6 blade and had the same ENGINE SIDE marking on it. I guess the factory didn’t think the 6 required the V8’s 7 blade fan with factory AC.

EDIT: here’s a couple of pictures:

C5FC5265-1565-41A5-8DED-FDD3A897A457.jpeg

185CE145-7D88-4FAB-B69B-64ECBCD4151C.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently pulled an original, complete factory AC system for a slant 6. The fan for it was a 6 blade and had the same ENGINE SIDE marking on it. I guess the factory didn’t think the 6 required the V8’s 7 blade fan with factory AC.

EDIT: here’s a couple of pictures:

View attachment 1715297145

View attachment 1715297146
Don! First time I see ENGINE SIDE in two levels! Was it a LA built car?

I was able to get power steering pump restored and new buchings , bearings and seals.
I even mounted it on the enginge. Next is to get a potatoe and make a stamping for the pump which should be yellow.

20190303_162324.jpg

20190303_162305.jpg

Don! First time I see ENGINE SIDE in two levels! Was it a LA built car?

Ulf, I doubt it! The car - a 66 Valiant 2 door sedan - is in a junkyard maybe 50km from me. Chances are it was a Detroit area build. All the AC stuff was identical to the same parts for my 65 other than the fan and shroud since it was a slant 6.

So a day like this with heavy rain pouring down it can't be any more boring then this! I know why I love glass or sand blasted cars! This is the worst thing I know of besides rust!!

20190323_090828.jpg

So a day like this with heavy rain pouring down it can't be any more boring then this! I know why I love glass or sand blasted cars! This is the worst thing I know of besides rust!!

View attachment 1715307733

So Ulf, You are stripping paint. My 65 was restored earlier by someone else, and they coated the bottom, engine well, under the hood, and inside the truck with that black undercoating. I used Air Craft Stripper to remove it, so I know what you are going through. Hang in there as it will get done......and done well I am certain. Any color picked for the car as of yet? Best to you. sgrip65

So Ulf, You are stripping paint. My 65 was restored earlier by someone else, and they coated the bottom, engine well, under the hood, and inside the truck with that black undercoating. I used Air Craft Stripper to remove it, so I know what you are going through. Hang in there as it will get done......and done well I am certain. Any color picked for the car as of yet? Best to you. sgrip65
Jerry! I will stick with the exact factory color. I have check thw paint and this car is a little darker then my hardtop. I will try to find out the right color and get the paint.
Yesterday I got a package with a factory fuel pump that I painted red. Now it's in place incl fuel line and a assembly line fuel filter with 30000 miles on it.
Wonder when the transmission shows up...!

20190331_105318.jpg

That assembly line fuel filter - it looks like a plastic filter. I thought they were metal.

That assembly line fuel filter - it looks like a plastic filter. I thought they were metal.
It is a plastic filter. All cars came with plastic fuel filters from factory. At the dealership they changed to a metal fuel filter. The reason was to get rid of dirt from the fuel system before the customer took delivery of the new car.

It is a plastic filter. All cars came with plastic fuel filters from factory. At the dealership they changed to a metal fuel filter. The reason was to get rid of dirt from the fuel system before the customer took delivery of the new car.

OK. I have the metal filters which I shall use on my Dart PW (Panel Wagon)or SD (Sedan Delivery)

EDIT: I updated the abbreviations for the PW and SD

Last edited:
OK. I have the metal filters which I shall use on my Dart PW

Ulf, Switching out the fuel filters at the dealership prior to customer delivery....interesting. Thanks for the unique information. sgrip65

Don, what is PW?

It is my conversion from a 4 door wagon to what is commonly called a 2 door sedan delivery or sometimes called a panel wagon based on the 2 door wagon. Chrysler built what they called a Town Panel wagon which was based on a truck chassis between 1954 and 1966. They never built one based on a passenger car wagon. I Guess mine will be a 1 of none!

Last edited:
It is my conversion from a 4 door wagon to what is commonly called a 2 door sedan delivery or sometimes called a panel wagon based on the 2 door wagon. Chrysler built the what they called a Town Panel wagon which was based on a truck chassis between 1954 and 1966. They never built one based on a passenger car wagon. I Guess mine will be a 1 of none!

Don....One of One maybe. Unique, anyway. JJ

It is my conversion from a 4 door wagon to what is commonly called a 2 door sedan delivery or sometimes called a panel wagon based on the 2 door wagon. Chrysler built what they called a Town Panel wagon which was based on a truck chassis between 1954 and 1966. They never built one based on a passenger car wagon. I Guess mine will be a 1 of none!
Aha! With your skills, Im pretty sure it will turn out great.

Finally the transmission showed up from NBV, Norrorts Bil & Vanservice AB. As always top notch restoration of the tranny. Testdriven and adjusted!
Today it was time to bolt the engine and tranny together. I really like how easy it is to bolt it together and bolt and adjust the kick-down. However when I teared this combo apart I found out that the transmission cover was gone. I started to search my inventory today but could not find one.
So if someone out there has a transmission cover plate for a 904 tranny I'm interested.

20190516_192954.jpg

20190529_180739.jpg

20190529_204716.jpg

-
Back