1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Maybe it is like the gas caps. Originally they were painted body color, but the dealer replacements were chrome so they did not have to keep all the different colors in stock or have to paint one each time one was sold. Or when the factory ran out of a color, they just switched to chrome to keep the lines moving.

Maybe it is like the gas caps. Originally they were painted body color, but the dealer replacements were chrome so they did not have to keep all the different colors in stock or have to paint one each time one was sold. Or when the factory ran out of a color, they just switched to chrome to keep the lines moving.

That's good ideas! I wonder if they were delivered with them at all? Would it be easier to add the door knobs at the dealership? I know for sure that the mounting kits for the front and rear license plates were in small bags in the glove box! That was easier for the assembly line to keep the speed!

Today was the glass mounting Saturday! My friend Robert "Mr Glassman" Almroth did an excellent job with the front and rear glass. It'so satiesfing to see guys with experience doing it so easy!

We started with the rear glass. The rear weatherstrip is a repop one and the quality was great. Robert added the string and then within minutes the glass was in place .

The front glass was way much more tighter. The weatherstrip is a NOS one and a little more stiffer. We started out by mounting the weatherstrip on the glass and tried to get it done right. After a couple of minutes we gave up and did it the other way. We mounted the weatherstrip on the body and then added the windshield. He did "pick-up" the weatherstrip all around the glass and then it just fell down in Place! Yes, this moment I have waited for since last year!

Next was to mount the rear chrome moulding around the rear glass. Even if I did get most of the clips in NOS condition four of them were repopped ones. The moulding fits great in place except the lower part of the glass. Even if I bended the center of the clips so the gap should be less that standard the lower moulding could have a better fit!

After the moulding was in place I could see the the fit around the glass had some issues. But I guess that they left it this way!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 508
  • 014.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 475
  • 013.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 482
  • 012.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 011.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 472
  • 009.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 005.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 500
  • 004.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 498
  • 003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 512
  • 002.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 485
I wonder if they were delivered with them at all? Would it be easier to add the door knobs at the dealership?

Cars got their door lock knobs at the factory, not at the dealership.

I know for sure that the mounting kits for the front and rear license plates were in small bags in the glove box! That was easier for the assembly line to keep the speed!

Also, some US states do not require a front plate.

The inner mouldings around the rear glass was a Little tricky. Finding the holes for the screws after gluing the headliner made it almost impossible to locate the holes. However after a while that was done and now the mouldings are in place.

Re the isolation under the package tray there seems to be two different kinds. The one that I have ordered and is in place is exactly as the one who was there from the start. My friend Johans 270 4 dr sedan has just a thin paper board isolation under the package tray. That car is assembled in Detroit.

Last thing for today was to mount the correct bulb and adding the lens for the inner light.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 002.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 001.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 476
Use a ice pick to find the hole with on your next project.

I will for sure. Thanks for the tips B-onefan.

Also, some US states do not require a front plate.

Dan! Was the front license plate bracket mounted to the front bumper or was it put in a small plastic bag in the trunk?

Last thing for today was to mount the correct bulb and adding the lens for the inner light.

The Inner Light?
redbeard.gif

Was the front license plate bracket mounted to the front bumper or was it put in a small plastic bag in the trunk?

Most likely bag-in-trunk if shipped to a 2-plate state. There would have been no reason to send front-plate mounts with/on/for cars shipped to 1-plate states.

Most likely bag-in-trunk if shipped to a 2-plate state. There would have been no reason to send front-plate mounts with/on/for cars shipped to 1-plate states.

Was California a two plate state?

Sorry for my bad English but the inner light would be the dome light assy! Lol Every once in a while I translate the Swedish word over to a English word. Some of those times it get's wrong!!!!

I'll do better. Promise!

Was California a two plate state?

Yes.

Sorry for my bad English

Your English is excellent! I wasn't making fun of it (or of you) -- I just couldn't resist the opportunity since you accidentally said the name of a Beatles song.

Your English is even better than excellent if we compare it to my Swedish: "Strålkastarglas sprucket? Byt snarast med kottbullar eller lingon!"

Yes.

Your English is excellent! I wasn't making fun of it (or of you) -- I just couldn't resist the opportunity since you accidentally said the name of a Beatles song.

Your English is even better than excellent if we compare it to my Swedish: "Strålkastarglas sprucket? Byt snarast med kottbullar eller lingon!"

It's ok Dan! No worries as they say in Australia! Your Swedish is excellent. Not sure how to change with kottbullar and lingon!Lol

The other day I was emailing to a guy about the paralellshaft! After I sent the email I recall it's called center link! The guy asked me what I was talking about. But when I mentioned centerlink he just had a good time about it.

This confusion is free of charge of cause!:eek:ops: I hope not the Swedish IRS read this post.

I'm looking for pictures showing the area around the upper control arm area on 1965 Dart, Valiant or Barracuda. I need to get the idea how close the undercoating was applayed towards the upper control arm brackets.

Thanks for any help FABO!

DS, I think I'm voting with Ulf on this one. In the FPC excerpt you included it shows black knobs for P,D,C-L (low line) cars. The listing also doesn't show much in the way of other specific car lines (V, L, Y), so I'm likely to go with "chrome" when there isn't a specific interior colour to co-ordinate with. Given that V/L models all had painted upper door shells, and there's no yellow knob listed, I think the chrome knob would be the part of choice. Gold knobs would look dark & discoloured against the yellow paint. Also, what colour do you think 2486 660 would be?

The way I read that chart, all A & B body cars used either Red, Gold, Black or Chrome lock buttons. There may have been a callout in the Trim Graphics book for 1965, but I don't have one to check against. I suspect it came down to personal choice by the operator who installed the knobs on the threaded shafts.

All of the colours of lock knobs shown under the "C" body cars used the colours where part numbers are listed. And Imperials all used one knob regardless of interior trim colour. I suspect they were chrome but the chart isn't exactly clear about that.

The "star" symbol in the "Per Car" column indicates "Use as Required". I'm also thinking that Yellow non-GTs may have gotten gold knobs, but that GTs were called out for chrome knobs.

Until someone finds unmolested GT cars with Gold knobs, I'm going to stick with voting for chrome.

a simple trick for you all fitting your own headliner.....fit all the screws before you fit the liner, screw them all the way in...it's easier to find a lump where the screw is than to find an invisable hole!!

The way I read that chart, all A & B body cars used either Red, Gold, Black or Chrome lock buttons. There may have been a callout in the Trim Graphics book for 1965, but I don't have one to check against. I suspect it came down to personal choice by the operator who installed the knobs on the threaded shafts.

All of the colours of lock knobs shown under the "C" body cars used the colours where part numbers are listed. And Imperials all used one knob regardless of interior trim colour. I suspect they were chrome but the chart isn't exactly clear about that.

The "star" symbol in the "Per Car" column indicates "Use as Required". I'm also thinking that Yellow non-GTs may have gotten gold knobs, but that GTs were called out for chrome knobs.

Until someone finds unmolested GT cars with Gold knobs, I'm going to stick with voting for chrome.

I checked out the FPC and it seems hard to figure out what was used for what? Could it have been mentioned in a Technical Service Bullentin, TSB?

Someway the workers at the assembly line must have had a order to get the right door knobs for each car.

I have checked through the sales material I have collected but it doesn't say what door knob that were used or if chrome door knob was an option. Neither did I find that chromed door knobs was part of a Group 326 or 327!

Well, some one might chim in with more input.

a simple trick for you all fitting your own headliner.....fit all the screws before you fit the liner, screw them all the way in...it's easier to find a lump where the screw is than to find an invisable hole!!
Thanks Martythetrimmer! That was a good one.

I checked out the FPC and it seems hard to figure out what was used for what? Could it have been mentioned in a Technical Service Bullentin, TSB?

Someway the workers at the assembly line must have had a order to get the right door knobs for each car.

I have checked through the sales material I have collected but it doesn't say what door knob that were used or if chrome door knob was an option. Neither did I find that chromed door knobs was part of a Group 326 or 327!

Well, some one might chim in with more input.

Thanks Martythetrimmer! That was a good one.

There is no TSB relating to door lock knobs. In fact, most of the "Body" TSBs for 1965 are on full size cars.

Do you have the folder on the Dart GT? If you have it and a magnifying glass, you might be able to see the door lock knobs. IIRC, there is a picture of a convertible with the top down?

I also don't think that the lock knobs would be part of any accessory group. The operator who installed them on the threaded rods would have had boxes of each colour at his station and would have just grabbed the most appropriate (in his mind at least).

Are the door lock knobs even mentioned on the build sheet? I don't recall ever seeing them listed.

The way I read that chart, all A & B body cars used either Red, Gold, Black or Chrome lock buttons.

That's how I read it, too. Wider selection in '64, where it appears A-body cars could have Red, Blue, Turquoise, Yellow Tan, two different varieties of Yellow Gold, or black; B-bodies could have all those plus Copper or Chrome.

There may have been a callout in the Trim Graphics book for 1965, but I don't have one to check against.

Random grasp here, but might there be anything in the build manual?

I suspect it came down to personal choice by the operator who installed the knobs on the threaded shafts.

That seems likely -- and it also strikes me as highly likely that if a red car came down the line and there were no red knobs in the house, that car got built with black or chrome ones even if there was a spec that said they should be red.

The "star" symbol in the "Per Car" column indicates "Use as Required".

Yes...and I note that in '65 and '64 alike, all the lock knobs have a * (UAR) except for the one entry that has a 2!

I'm also thinking that Yellow non-GTs may have gotten gold knobs, but that GTs were called out for chrome knobs.

Sounds reasonable. I'd sure like to see the spec for sure, though, just because picayune little details like this make my socks roll up and down.

[That's how I read it, too. Wider selection in '64, where it appears A-body cars could have Red, Blue, Turquoise, Yellow Tan, two different varieties of Yellow Gold, or black; B-bodies could have all those plus Copper or Chrome. ]

It would all boil down to the interior colours offered for a particular carline and how many other carlines were built in the plant that built that particular car.

Physically, any knob will fit any car. In the case of Windsor Assembly, there would have been a multitude of colour choices given how many carlines the plant built.

[Random grasp here, but might there be anything in the build manual?]
What build manual? The graphics manuals? I may just go downstairs and look to see if I can find the '67 trim graphics book to see if it even mentions door lock knobs.

[That seems likely -- and it also strikes me as highly likely that if a red car came down the line and there were no red knobs in the house, that car got built with black or chrome ones even if there was a spec that said they should be red.]
Agreed.

[Yes...and I note that in '65 and '64 alike, all the lock knobs have a * (UAR) except for the one entry that has a 2!]
I need to go back and look at what you posted previously.

[Sounds reasonable. I'd sure like to see the spec for sure, though, just because picayune little details like this make my socks roll up and down.]
Sadly, I've noticed. Add $2 and you can get coffee at Tim's to go with them.

After being apart for almost 10 years it was time to bring her down on her own. I got an invitation from a Sled & Wheels show in Vannas. It was the school that painted her. Even though the car isnot completed they want to show off how a restoration can look like.

To get her in shape I used the tires from my convertible. I will not use the other tires until the show in US.

My oldest son Kevin helped me to bring her down from the wagon I built for her. It took almost 2 hours to gether down without any scratches.

Now she is loaded on a covered trailer and tomorrow I will take her to the show.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 002.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 004.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 005.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 317
This thing is just dog nuts. You're gonna have magazines beatin each other's brains out wantin to do articles on this car. You're doin a beautiful job.

Looking real good!

One question though: On my ´67 Valiant the lenses for the parking light are white . Did the ´65 Dart Charger came with orange ones from the factory? As I recall it was a change in color 1968 from white to orange lenses.

Looking real good!

One question though: On my ´67 Valiant the lenses for the parking light are white . Did the ´65 Dart Charger came with orange ones from the factory? As I recall it was a change in color 1968 from white to orange lenses.

I can't speak for the DartCharger, but my 65 Dart convertible and wagon both come with orange turn signals. I'm sure the DartCharger did as well.

-
Back