1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
FREEZE PLUGS
sorry took a few days more then i thought to get to this,,,,,

the local mom and pop auto parts store is now getting there freeze plugs from china,,,GEEZ,,, i have pics of them,,but you know what they look like,,,they say dorman and china in the center,,,paint would cover it im sure,,,

one other way to get unmarked freeze plugs would be,,to get a complete set from mopar performance,,they are unmarked,,at least the set i have is they are about 14 years old,,,bought thru mopar performance, i had to get a complete kit,,there is one special internal plug in the oil fitler area that is not available seperatly,,,,

do you want me to search for a complete plug kit thru mopar performance???????

Attachments

• plugs 001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 754
  • plugs 002.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 752
  • plugs 003.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 749
FREEZE PLUGS
sorry took a few days more then i thought to get to this,,,,,

the local mom and pop auto parts store is now getting there freeze plugs from china,,,GEEZ,,, i have pics of them,,but you know what they look like,,,they say dorman and china in the center,,,paint would cover it im sure,,,

one other way to get unmarked freeze plugs would be,,to get a complete set from mopar performance,,they are unmarked,,at least the set i have is they are about 14 years old,,,bought thru mopar performance, i had to get a complete kit,,there is one special internal plug in the oil fitler area that is not available seperatly,,,,

do you want me to search for a complete plug kit thru mopar performance???????

If you could do that I would appriciate it. I have tried to paint engine color on my PSB plugs but it will not cover! SO I need a set of unmarked ones. So if you could help me out it would be great.

ok no problem,, ill look around see if these freeze plug kits are still available thru mopar,,

now you asked for 6 of those plugs,,,there are only 2 per head,,,ide assume the complete kit only comes with the correct for the complete engine,,do you want 2 kits??? or maybe just 2 extra with the china stamping???

ok no problem,, ill look around see if these freeze plug kits are still available thru mopar,,

now you asked for 6 of those plugs,,,there are only 2 per head,,,ide assume the complete kit only comes with the correct for the complete engine,,do you want 2 kits??? or maybe just 2 extra with the china stamping???

I need all the plugs for the heads and one behind the oil tube. That is 5 plugs with diameter 1,26 inch. No markings please!

ok i called one vendor,,, the complete kit is still available,, but he didnt have it in stock,, and didnt know how complete this kit is,, its not the same kit i have,,, this kit also has the dowl pins for the heads,,the oil gally screw in plugs,,,its 46 american dollars,, ill call one other see if they can tell me what all is in it

ok just talked to one of the biggest mopare performance dealers around,, the mopar performance kit is no t available,,, they now use a company called pioneer,,steel and are stamped pio there head kit only has 4 plugs,,around 9 bucks,,, you could smooth them out with all metal,,or heavy paint,,,im going to call one more place,,and see what they may have,,,

ok maDE ANOTHER CALL,,, found 5 but they are stamped with the size not stamped by the maker,,,,thats all i can find,,,let me know i can go thursday,tomorrow and pick those 5 up if u can use them,,,

ok maDE ANOTHER CALL,,, found 5 but they are stamped with the size not stamped by the maker,,,,thats all i can find,,,let me know i can go thursday,tomorrow and pick those 5 up if u can use them,,,

fstfish! I'm so greatful but I need them without text and script! I tried last night to sand out the printings but I will not work or the plugs will be too thin. I need to find those without text. Maybe old Mopar performance kits can be avialible on Ebay! I know that sometimes on swapmeets vendors have them from old kits just laying around.

fstfish! I'm so greatful but I need them without text and script! I tried last night to sand out the printings but I will not work or the plugs will be too thin. I need to find those without text. Maybe old Mopar performance kits can be avialible on Ebay! I know that sometimes on swapmeets vendors have them from old kits just laying around.

i have a older mopar kit,,no script,,i only bought it for a special plug in the oil fitler area,,,my block is an over the counter race block,,340 x now being sold as the 340 resteration block,,4 bolt main,,,

the bare blocks do not come with any plugs,,,i got lucky reading a magazine put out by mopar,,,(mopar performance,,not sure if its still in production ) stating that they had been seeing many over the counter blocks being destroyed because this plug was not in the oil filter by pass,,it is a dry sump if the plug is not there,, the kit was the only way to get this special plug at that time,,i reas the artice,,removed the rear main,,a walla no plug,,,whew that was a close one,,,

ill count and measure the plugs and see if it contains the 5 you need,,,and if so ide send them to you,, you just replace the kit with the new one with the scripts,,,dont matter to me,,,just like to have them around if i ever need then in a jiffy,,,,

you could always fill in any plugs covering the scripts with a product called ALL METAL,, its a liguid sorta like bondo,,,just like metal when it cures,,,,let me know,,,

i have a older mopar kit,,no script,,i only bought it for a special plug in the oil fitler area,,,my block is an over the counter race block,,340 x now being sold as the 340 resteration block,,4 bolt main,,,

the bare blocks do not come with any plugs,,,i got lucky reading a magazine put out by mopar,,,(mopar performance,,not sure if its still in production ) stating that they had been seeing many over the counter blocks being destroyed because this plug was not in the oil filter by pass,,it is a dry sump if the plug is not there,, the kit was the only way to get this special plug at that time,,i reas the artice,,removed the rear main,,a walla no plug,,,whew that was a close one,,,

ill count and measure the plugs and see if it contains the 5 you need,,,and if so ide send them to you,, you just replace the kit with the new one with the scripts,,,dont matter to me,,,just like to have them around if i ever need then in a jiffy,,,,

you could always fill in any plugs covering the scripts with a product called ALL METAL,, its a liguid sorta like bondo,,,just like metal when it cures,,,,let me know,,,

I just want the plugs as they were from the begining! Let me know what you came up with.

This is how a 13" Cragar S/S wheel looks when it's apart! Will box the rim and send it off to the chrome shop. Tomorrow I will start to glass bead the center hub.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 899
  • 005.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 876
  • 004.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 896
  • 003.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 887
  • 002.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 906
  • 001.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 888
First. I've followed this thread a while back.
Second. I admire your down by the number, and I mean every (part)number, correct rebirth of a Dart Charger.
Third. I'd love to see in in person when finished.

I just want the plugs as they were from the begining! Let me know what you came up with.

ill count the plugs in my kit,,if the correct ones are in my old kit,, they are yours,,, ill let you know hopefully monday night

intresting set of rims,,are they small bolt pattern ??

Ok great. Let me know the result.

They are small bolt pattern Cragar S/S. This is the early style with cast center welded to the rim. This set is produced in 1964. I'm not sure when the production changed to "all" steel wheels.

It seems that the DartCharger all had yellow painted drums up front! Three of the cars that I have info on had this paint. But it can be done by some prevuois owner too. But someday some facts will show up...! I know that later A-bodies had red/brown painted drums.

Any info on this subject?

View attachment ICCA 004.jpg

View attachment ICCA 025.jpg

I had an old suitecase in the car so the center piece just happened to follow me on the trip!!!! This is how it looks after 2 hours. This will take some time. That's for sure! I hope I don't get caught with some serious garage work in a hotel room!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 848
and you have 4 of these rare wheels??? but there not N,O,S. lol

ok heres what i have,, there is only 1 shallow 1.248 plug in my kit, non scripted,,,,,,then i had a brain fart,,,,,,

i use to work at a stamping house that made freeze plugs,,when i lived out side chicago ill,,, i did a search and they have a web site,,, i E MAILED them,,,,explained i use to work there as a set up mechanic in the stamping dept,,,and that im in need of this size plug non scripted,,,its a holiday here today in the US,, so im hoping they get back to me this week,,thats the best i can do,,,

and you have 4 of these rare wheels??? but there not N,O,S. lol

ok heres what i have,, there is only 1 shallow 1.248 plug in my kit, non scripted,,,,,,then i had a brain fart,,,,,,

i use to work at a stamping house that made freeze plugs,,when i lived out side chicago ill,,, i did a search and they have a web site,,, i E MAILED them,,,,explained i use to work there as a set up mechanic in the stamping dept,,,and that im in need of this size plug non scripted,,,its a holiday here today in the US,, so im hoping they get back to me this week,,thats the best i can do,,,

As a matter of fact I have 9 of them. One set for the hardtop and one set for the convertible. The extra was actually a spare for the hardtop which is really rare. That first owner reallt did some great things;

One extra Cragar S/S wheel
One set of NOS ultra rare DartCharger emblem. I have the full set of 3 pieces!!

So I was lucky when I found this in the car.

Thank you for the help you give me. I really appriciate it and I owe you one, that's for sure!

Let me know what the answer is when the holliday is over. Once again thank you.

I got the NOS thermstat housing today. Yihaa! BUT, the NOS ones are different from the assembly line parts! There is some stampings on the side. CAst# on one side and DPCD mark on the other side incl date code!

But the bolts are there and the thermostat. I just need to glass bead the housing into mint condition. Puh!

Someone interesting in one NOS thermstat housing? Fits 1957 to 1966 V8s.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

Tonight was some serious glass beading night! I guess that I gain about 4 pounds of glass tonight. At least that's how I feel.

I glass beaded the lower door hinge on one side. I got the new pin that I bought from Norway.

The brackets for the exhaust manifold is now done. I just need tofind out the factory bolts that should be there. I have them but they must be in better shape.

Does anyone have a new pair of white pads for 65 Dart for sale? I need a front and rear set. Mine is not good.

I got the last guide for the front brakes so I just added the guide and the spring so now is the front brakes finally done!

View attachment 125.jpg

View attachment 126.jpg

View attachment 127.jpg

Last night I continued with the door hinges. Need to make some new bushings. They are shot!

Tonight I started to disassemble the instrument panel. I wish the dash pad was new. That's the only thing that I'm worried about. Where to find a new one? The paint is worn as well as the plastic on the dash.

Found a inspector stamp on the instrument cluster. Hm, the DartCharger emblem has some strange clips on the backside. Hope I can save the pegs on the backside. The orginal speaker seems to be shot!!! Any new one out there or can they be restored, reconed? Not here in Sweden for sure!!

After I took off the dash pad the paint on the underside was in great shape. It seems to be the gold paint with some strange brown color. Never seen it. The air outlet was shot too but I have NOS ones.

I still have the steering colum to disassemble too. They should be painted the same time as the body should.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 013.jpg

-
Back