1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Your car is like a time machine. I love how you did every detail and stuck to things being just perfect. The research you did and the quality is amazing. I expect someday this will be in a museum, but I hope it sees the road first :burnout:

Your car is like a time machine. I love how you did every detail and stuck to things being just perfect. The research you did and the quality is amazing. I expect someday this will be in a museum, but I hope it sees the road first :burnout:

Thanks 4.7Light! Not sure what to do but I would love to go out and make a burnout!! But 50 years old tires.........

Now when the wheel wells are done it's time to mount the exhaust system. The pipe over the rear end had some tejp on it. One tejp has the partnumber and manufacturers number on. Kinda cool but I don't think it was on the pipe when it arrived to the plant. This pipe has the partnumber stamped on one end. Reason is that Valiant/Barracuda and Dart had different pipes over the rearend.

The steel wool made it like new again.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 679
  • 007.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 623
  • 006.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 653
  • 004.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 633
  • 003.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 631
  • 002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 653
I wonder how you are treating bare-steel parts like this. Will you apply a high-temperature clear coat (such as VHT clear) so they continue looking new forever, or will you allow them to rust over?

I wonder how you are treating bare-steel parts like this. Will you apply a high-temperature clear coat (such as VHT clear) so they continue looking new forever, or will you allow them to rust over?

Dan! I have treated the hole system with WD40 to prevent rust. Since the hole system is NOS it was indeed some old grease on it which has kept the systemin great shape. But I talked to some restoration shops and they all agreed upon using WD40 for protection.

Today I was able to get the hole system in Place and that felt good. On the tall pipe between the Y-pipe and the muffler I found some blue markings as well as the tejp. Remember that Dart and Valiant/Barracuda had 2" difference in lenght so I guess that was the way to make Life easier for the staff at the assembly line.

I have one question on the exhaust system. Which way was the ends on the U-bolts pointing? My idea is that they were pointing down wards. The reason would be that it was easier to use the power tools to tighten the bolts and nuts!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 616
  • 010.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 587
  • 009.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 606
  • 008.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 614
  • 007.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 615
  • 006.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 605
  • 005.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 613
  • 003.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 609
  • 002.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 611
  • 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 631
That exhaust tip and the cut out valance is such a cool styling cue on the 65's. Great job Ulf!

Dan! I have treated the hole system with WD40 to prevent rust.

Interesting. I have my doubts about this being effective in the long term—not least because I have found WD-40 to be just about useless for just about everything—but I would be quite happy to be proven wrong. I guess we'll have to wait some years and see!

Interesting. I have my doubts about this being effective in the long term—not least because I have found WD-40 to be just about useless for just about everything—but I would be quite happy to be proven wrong. I guess we'll have to wait some years and see!

I have used the WD40 for quite a while but I yesterday also added some other grease on spray. I Think it might last a Little bit longer! Thanks for the warning Dan!

I tightened all the bolts on the exhaust system except to the exhaust flange on the manifolds. Needs to be two!

However I got the package from Brad's NOS with NOS gasket and plug for the rear end cover. I need to get signal red for the plug since it was painted red in the bottom. Not sure what it stands for though!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 592
I found out that the NOS steering wheel I found didn't had the copper signal switch on the underside of the steering wheel. That contactt, is that the same as the standard steering wheel?

Any have this switch ring in NOS condition for sale?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!oIFD8m3td8PBR!gKU2Dvw~~60_57.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 520
  • 1966DodgeWoodgrainSteeringWheel2-part4016VTT-backsideview.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 522
I've found this to be a good bare metal protector http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/

Thanks for the input. Looks good, at least for 5 years! :eek:ops:

I will see if it sells here in Sweden, otherwise I will order it from US. That would be great for everyone who restors a car and still can have the natural steel look without rust!

Today my friend "Robert the Glassman" showed up. He brought a tool for mounting the locking strips from and old glass shop in town. We were sure that mounting 50 years old windshield gasket and locking strip was going to be a challenge and so right we were!:banghead:

The mounting vent well on the long sides but the corners was a mess. The right side vent well but the left side was a real mess. We found a small crack in the rubber gasket! When the locking strip was in place a small crack happened so I need to do some glue process there!!!!

Next step will be the windshield wiper arms.

Today the cat whiskers showed up in the mailbox. I ordered them from Steele and I must admit that they were exactly as the orginals. Both in lenght and clips. The mounting process took less then 10 minutes. I must admit that I have never ever worked with such great repopped stuff. Hats off Steele!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 002.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 506
  • 001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 007.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 489
  • 006.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 005.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 004.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 513
It sure looks good to see this car with the correct w/s lock strip. You continue to amaze me with this restoration.

Thanks for the comments. It keeps me going for the last rounds!

This morning I was able to polish my two founded wiper arms that is the best I have ever found. 4 hours of polishing and they are like new again.

On top of that I had a call a couple of years gao from a guy who said he had a set of NOS wiper blades. Well, I wasn't so sure from start but after he sent me pictures I was sure.

New blades with like new wiper arms makes it look good.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 003.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 494
WOW Ulf!
FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!
You have done an amazing job..

Thanks!

While sanding and polishing the sill moulding I started to thinking about if someone out there are repopping these mouldings? When you have painted a car it looks great to open the door and the sill mouldings look fresh. I know that the carpet hold down mouldings are being repopped.

Tomorrow will just be some polishing and drilling the holes for the screws.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 459
After adjusting the parking brakea couple of times and never was satiesfied I continued with the gearshift cable. I found out after a while that the adjustment of the gearshift cable was the thing to do, not the parking brake. So now that has been taking care of.

The screws that holds the console to the bracket was solved by my brother-in-law. After searching his basement for a while we found the right screws. So now I have the correct screws for the console.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 450
  • 002.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 437
Great job Ulf! Looks fantastic!
regards
- Fredrik
Thanks Fredrik!

I have been collecting information of what kind of tags that was placed inside the car. I know that there was a tag in the windshield wiper switch. Was it a tag for the night/day mirror as well?

Last question is if the tags was placed inside the car by the assembly line staff or at the
dealership?

Thanks FABO!

Lady plugs in Place. Been searching for a while but now they are in place. When I was mounting the plugs I saw the splot of undercoating in the wheel wells. Looks factory!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 346
The front rubber gasket that goes between the hood and the core support is impossible to find. I was able to rescue one that was in excellent condition. The repopped one wasn't even close.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 005.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 002.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 339
Thanks!

While sanding and polishing the sill moulding I started to thinking about if someone out there are repopping these mouldings? When you have painted a car it looks great to open the door and the sill mouldings look fresh. I know that the carpet hold down mouldings are being repopped.

Tomorrow will just be some polishing and drilling the holes for the screws.

I bought a pair of sill moldings from Laysons last year for my 66. I don't have any photos but they were nice and fit well. Who repops the carpet hold downs? Thanks, tmm

The front rubber gasket that goes between the hood and the core support is impossible to find.

Oh? Where did you get the incorrect repro item? The '65 and '66 Dart ones I've bought from Gary Goers in the past have been perfect. If your top two photos are of the one you were looking for, that's the kind Gary Goers sells as the '65 Dart item. If the bottom two photos are of the repro you got, that's the kind Gary Goers sells as the '66 Dart item.

I bought a pair of sill moldings from Laysons last year for my 66. I don't have any photos but they were nice and fit well. Who repops the carpet hold downs? Thanks, tmm

Mike! The carpet hold downs are sold by Layson and is excellent. It took 4 weeks to Sweden which isn't to bad!!:banghead:

Oh? Where did you get the incorrect repro item? The '65 and '66 Dart ones I've bought from Gary Goers in the past have been perfect. If your top two photos are of the one you were looking for, that's the kind Gary Goers sells as the '65 Dart item. If the bottom two photos are of the repro you got, that's the kind Gary Goers sells as the '66 Dart item.

Dan! The repopped one was sold by Classic Industries. I will check out Gary Goers website to see if I can get that rubber seal asap. Thanks Dan!

Gary Goers number for the "L"-shaped '65 hood-to-radiator-support seal is W81. (How's your cowl-to-hood seal? His W66A)

-
Back