1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
That hood rubber seal is a tough one to find, my dad has a nice one on his 66 Barracuda but it has a crack. I think he found a crack free one but the rubber has turned hard. I think that rubber seal was used on several early a-body cars. I will keep my eye open for you!

Thanks Keith! I'll appriciate it.

The hood rubber on my dads 1966 Barracuda is smooth and doesn't have all those ribbed lines like yours, his is original...wonder why they would be different?

The hood rubber on my dads 1966 Barracuda is smooth and doesn't have all those ribbed lines like yours, his is original...wonder why they would be different?

Can they be different between the 1965 and 1966 A-bodies or is the difference between the plants?

The original on my 66 is smooth as well. Must be a difference between years.

I think so too. I checked a newly imported Dart 270 wagon in Stockholm on Monday night and it was assembled in St Louis in July 1st. It had the same profile as mine at home. Might be differences between the suppliers they had on the plants.

For the first time I started to assemble the body. Yes, yes, yes. This is what I have been looking for for the last years. I started to get the door hinges in place with the bolts with right finished. After some adjusting I think the gap between the door and the quarter panel is ok. The fender is not bolted yet. I need to primer the body first in the right greenish color. Then after adding some body seal I can add the fenders. But, the bolts are ready as well as the front shield between the front fenders.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

really, really nice! the gaps and alignment of the panels is first rate. she really ought to look good!

Finally everything's ready for assembleing the trunk hinges. Painted the springs earlier today and they look just like factory process. Will put them in place tomorrow. The clips are done as well as having some orginal Mopar grease from the 60ies. This is getting out of control........

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 763
Thanks Dan. I will get in contact with the Goers to see what they can offer. Nice that they started to do some early A-body stuff.

Before I started with the trunk hinge spring I found out some strange things.

Cars assembled in Detroit seems to have a little different setup for the springcompare to at least LA built cars.They have a welded clip into the package tray that holds the spring. My guess is that it was for noice reduction. How about you guys with St Louis built cars. I can't find any trace for a welded clip in my car.

On top of the paint in my untouched Dart 270 there is evidence of some kind of grease spray. Any info out there?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Finally the springs are in place. Need to find out where to get the right grease. But I need the looking nut for the hinges. Any help would be gladly appriciated.

Does anyone know where to get the overhaul kit for the power steering box?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 736
  • 002.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 720
  • 001.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 715
I recently purchased one, but will have to look at my receipt at home to get the company I bought it from. I think they were in Ohio, and learned about them on here. I am sure someone will be along sooner with the name though.
Keep up the good work!

Steer and gear in Columbus rebuilds both manual and power boxes, try them for a rebuild kit. Better yet, send them yours and they can rebuild it, but of course for a fee. Power boxes are kinda complicated - Ive looked at tearing one down before but decided to send it to steer and gear instead, they will warantee the work as well.

On the grease - that was probably just sloppiness by the factory or a PO getting messy. My guess would be white lithium should be fine.

Steer and gear in Columbus rebuilds both manual and power boxes, try them for a rebuild kit. Better yet, send them yours and they can rebuild it, but of course for a fee. Power boxes are kinda complicated - Ive looked at tearing one down before but decided to send it to steer and gear instead, they will warantee the work as well.

On the grease - that was probably just sloppiness by the factory or a PO getting messy. My guess would be white lithium should be fine.

I found out that if you fpollow the service manual it can be done but it is a little bit tricky! But I will continue to work with it. The cost for shipping the steering box back and forth to Sweden will cost some too.

I guess that you are right. I heard that years agoand I will check it up too. Thanks for the input.

After some garden work and such I started to work on my car again. I need to get these ones in NOS condition.

Anyone knowing where to get them? I have one NOS but it's for 1967 to
1969. To morrow I will go and get the acid cleaned dash, trunk lid, hood and some small items. Can hardly wait. Assembly time is just around the corner....

View attachment 001.jpg

The trunk lid is in place. It looks good and now I just need to get the metal man to do some ajustments before I can finish it. I really looking forward to get it in primer. I need to find out if the car was primered before the body sealer was applayed.

View attachment 001.jpg

Last night I started ti glass bead the hood latch, hood stop and the hood opening mecanism. After a couple of hours they looks like new. Tomy surprice I found out that the hood latch is date coded. 49 1 stands for 1964 September week one or week 49 day one. ANy input on this subject?

Started to primer the hood hinges. One is left to glass bead and then the hood will be bolted to the chassi. It starts to look like a car!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

After doing the hood hinges and the trunk hinges I found out that two of the locking clips is broken. Does anyone have two of these for sale?

Enclosed is a picture of the right one to the left and a repop one to the right. I will not use that one!

View attachment 003.jpg

-
Back