1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
attachment.php

What is that? Can't make heads or tails of the picture, except the emblem is what was used on '60-'61 Darts and promotional items for same.

Just did some digging through the '65, '66, and '67 FPCs.

Air cleaner lid, '64-'65-'66, chrome with 273-4bbl, without Clean Air Package: 2532 609
Air cleaner lid, '64-'65-'66, chrome with 273-4bbl, with Clean Air Package: 2432 616
Air cleaner base, '64-'65-'66, with 273-4bbl: 2658 437

The Clean Air Package version of the air cleaner lid has the fitting on the side for the hose from the crankcase breather. The non-CAP version of the air cleaner lid does not have the fitting, because there was no such hose (a bottom-vented crankcase breather was used on non-CAP vehicles).

CAP was mandatory for all vehicles sold in California, regardless of build plant, and optional on all vehicles sold elsewhere. I don't recall whether your '65 is a California(-sold) car or not.

So, no P/N differences (Dart vs. Valiant, year vs. year) to explain the indentation and slightly different crankcase breather hose nipple placement on one of your two lids. I'll run it by a guy I know who was an engineer for the company that supplied Chrysler with most of their air cleaner housings in that year range and see what he has to say; will report when I hear from him.

Also keep in mind these same air cleaner lids (with and without crankcase breather fitting but without chrome) were used on many '61-'69 slant-6s, so it's a solid bet that over the years a good number of lids have been chromed to "convert" them into 273-4bbl air cleaner lids. Given the extremely large volume of slant-6 installations using these lids, it's an equally solid bet that they were coming from more than one stamping source and minor variations that didn't affect fit or function (such as these what you're showing) would have been tolerated with no backtalk from Chrysler.

Sorry Dan, the slant 6 lids were different than the chrome 273 ones, even though they look the same (except for the chrome plating) the slant six ones had the very bottom lip folded over and the unsilenced ones (painted and chrome ones) had a flared bottom lip. The height was also different between these 2, very little but different.

Just did some digging through the '65, '66, and '67 FPCs.

Air cleaner lid, '64-'65-'66, chrome with 273-4bbl, without Clean Air Package: 2532 609
Air cleaner lid, '64-'65-'66, chrome with 273-4bbl, with Clean Air Package: 2432 616
Air cleaner base, '64-'65-'66, with 273-4bbl: 2658 437

The Clean Air Package version of the air cleaner lid has the fitting on the side for the hose from the crankcase breather. The non-CAP version of the air cleaner lid does not have the fitting, because there was no such hose (a bottom-vented crankcase breather was used on non-CAP vehicles).

CAP was mandatory for all vehicles sold in California, regardless of build plant, and optional on all vehicles sold elsewhere. I don't recall whether your '65 is a California(-sold) car or not.

So, no P/N differences (Dart vs. Valiant, year vs. year) to explain the indentation and slightly different crankcase breather hose nipple placement on one of your two lids. I'll run it by a guy I know who was an engineer for the company that supplied Chrysler with most of their air cleaner housings in that year range and see what he has to say; will report when I hear from him.

Also keep in mind these same air cleaner lids (with and without crankcase breather fitting but without chrome) were used on many '61-'69 slant-6s, so it's a solid bet that over the years a good number of lids have been chromed to "convert" them into 273-4bbl air cleaner lids. Given the extremely large volume of slant-6 installations using these lids, it's an equally solid bet that they were coming from more than one stamping source and minor variations that didn't affect fit or function (such as these what you're showing) would have been tolerated with no backtalk from Chrysler.

What is that? Can't make heads or tails of the picture, except the emblem is what was used on '60-'61 Darts and promotional items for same.

It is a case to hold your car keys! I have a Barracuda one like that, very neat, never seen a Dart one before!

I'm standing on the dozens and dozens of air cleaner lids passing through my possession and scrutiny over the years when I say I disagree with you. But not all the slant-6 lids are exactly identical to each other and (as we can see in the photos in this thread) the same is true with the 273-4bbl lids. I think we're running up against the same thing 65DartCharger is running up against: minor differences in a high-volume part sourced from different stamping plants and production dates.

Today I checked out my inventory of air cleaners. I had two painted lids. Both came from 1965 273 Darts. One with and one without the outlet. There are some differences between the two of them but the one with the outlet is the same height as the chromed one.

But to get back to the one that I borrowed. I found an old book that I bought in the mid eighties. In that book is a picture of a 273 HP with air cleaner. When I check it out it seems like the air cleaner is not the same as the one I borrowed. It has the same center dome as my convertible. Can it possibly be a pre production unit?

Keith and Dan! Thanks guys for all the input in this matter. Things is driving me nuts and when I'm so far away from the market I really appriciate your help. Thanks.

I would like more input from Commando/Charger owners with the chromed air cleaner. I need to know for my own project as well as the reference manual I'm writing.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

I have asked two former Chrysler Corp air cleaner supplier engineers to weigh in. I sent them my comments from post #1128 in this thread, and here's the response from one of them (still waiting on the other):

====
All of what you've said is true in terms of multiple suppliers and part variations.
In this particular case, the lid with the lower spout appears to have been mislocated in the fixture that held it to punch the hole for the tube, resulting in the second partial rib above the spout. Had the lid been oriented in the tooling correctly, it would have looked like the lid with the higher spout.

So, which one is correct? I'd say either. The lower spouted lid can be a great conversation piece, but I doubt it's "right" or "wrong".

I have asked two former Chrysler Corp air cleaner supplier engineers to weigh in. I sent them my comments from post #1128 in this thread, and here's the response from one of them (still waiting on the other):

====
All of what you've said is true in terms of multiple suppliers and part variations.
In this particular case, the lid with the lower spout appears to have been mislocated in the fixture that held it to punch the hole for the tube, resulting in the second partial rib above the spout. Had the lid been oriented in the tooling correctly, it would have looked like the lid with the higher spout.

So, which one is correct? I'd say either. The lower spouted lid can be a great conversation piece, but I doubt it's "right" or "wrong".

Thanks Dan for taking time and asking around. I will search for a factory correct unit with nipple. The other one will be a conversation piece on my convertible.

Today I got a assembly line correct choke pull-off for my carburator today from my friend Joakim. It fits like a glove. Has factory stampings on it too. Sweet!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 491
Dan! I know and what I know of this is as close as they can come according to Larry. Larry Shepard did the restoration and according to him they can't be any better. If you know of anyone that can get the right finish I would be more then grateful.

I would like more input from Commando/Charger owners with the chromed air cleaner. I need to know for my own project as well as the reference manual I'm writing.

I took a look at my 3 chrome Commando air cleaner lids and another non-Commando that originally came black and all of them look exactly like your chrome one on the right.

Dan! I know and what I know of this is as close as they can come according to Larry. Larry Shepard did the restoration and according to him they can't be any better. If you know of anyone that can get the right finish I would be more then grateful.

I'll have to dig, but I think eventually I'll be successful. Stand by!

I finally got a correct jack stand thanks to Don (65 dartman). Thanks Don! I owe you one. It is gray with grey jack stand plate.

On a closer examination it seems like the mecanism was diped into a jar with paint. There is full cover paint on the inside.

What I can find out there is no date code on either the jack stand or the mecanism.

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 445
  • 058.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 469
On a closer examination it seems like the mecanism was diped into a jar with paint. There is full cover paint on the inside.

What I can find out there is no date code on either the jack stand or the mecanism.

What you describe is the same as on my jack assembly for my 65 Dart convertible - grey paint on the inside and no marking other than on the lever for going up or down. I will check the jack assembly in my 65 Dart wagon when I get back from the Nationals. It's a LA-built wagon.

What you describe is the same as on my jack assembly for my 65 Dart convertible - grey paint on the inside and no marking other than on the lever for going up or down. I will check the jack assembly in my 65 Dart wagon when I get back from the Nationals. It's a LA-built wagon.

That's great Don!

Re the pole it was yellow dichromated. The bar with the lugwrench was black. But, was there any tools that was included when the delivery took place? I don't think I ever seen that. How about you guys, any input?

Help is appriciated.

That's great Don!

Re the pole it was yellow dichromated. The bar with the lugwrench was black. But, was there any tools that was included when the delivery took place? I don't think I ever seen that. How about you guys, any input?

Help is appriciated.

No other tools but there should be a spring that hooks to the jack and holds it tight to the trunk floor. Is there a little loop/hook on the floor where the jack goes?

No other tools but there should be a spring that hooks to the jack and holds it tight to the trunk floor. Is there a little loop/hook on the floor where the jack goes?

I totally forgot about the spring! Do they reproduce them or can they be found used?

You can buy the '66-'76 style spring new. It looks like this.

The '65-down spring is slightly different; it does not have a full 360° loop for the jack handle/lug wrench to go through. As far as I know (but I don't know for sure) it's not being reproduced.

You can buy the '66-'76 style spring new. It looks like this.

The '65-down spring is slightly different; it does not have a full 360° loop for the jack handle/lug wrench to go through. As far as I know (but I don't know for sure) it's not being reproduced.

Does anyone have a spring that is the way that Dan mentioned? It must be close to the one in the picture but instead of a 360 loop it's more of a hook on that side too. Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• !B85ZrQgBmk~$(KGrHqR,!gwEy2IyrNtzBM4SiwBmy!~~0_12.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 408
Today it was little Christmas eve in northern Sweden. At least where I live!! Several month ago I bought a NOS heater kit for 1965 A-body! Today it showed up. Thanks Keith for all the help. I owe you one.

The first thing that got my attention is that the heater hose does not have any stamped part#. After going through a bunch (+40) magazines from 1964/1965 I haven't seen any stampings or so on the hoses. Today I got the answer. There are just a three ribbed hose with stampings on just one of the hoses. The number looks like a manufacturers number.

The next thing was the front cover on the dash board. Now I know that there is small differences between the ones that are being restored and NOS ones. But who cares??? I will have a Valiant spare.......

The foam gasket between the heater box and the body was there. I even found a mint NOS Minnesota license plate. That one will go on the wall in my shop. Now I have 24 states. Isn't fantastic that they packed a license plate into the box too? Thanks Keith.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 010.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 394
  • 009.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 380
  • 008.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 405
Awesome, I am relieved it showed up! That was a big box too, almost too big to ship overseas through USPS. I think you need to post more pictures :D

I figured you would like the 65 MN plate for your collection, I have the same year plate on my 66, they look great! Did you get the other smaller parts I included like the NOS bumper bolts and some hardware? Can't remember if I threw anything else in there. Glad you are happy, hope all the parts look great and survived the voyage.

And always, glad I could help :glasses7:

Awesome, I am relieved it showed up! That was a big box too, almost too big to ship overseas through USPS. I think you need to post more pictures :D

I figured you would like the 65 MN plate for your collection, I have the same year plate on my 66, they look great! Did you get the other smaller parts I included like the NOS bumper bolts and some hardware? Can't remember if I threw anything else in there. Glad you are happy, hope all the parts look great and survived the voyage.

And always, glad I could help :glasses7:

Keith! I will shoot more pictures when I get home. I saw the "white hat" thing. So cool! I'm about to help a friend of mine who just bought a 1971 sun roof Challenger. I will post more pictures on Sunday when I'm home from Stockholm. We took off two hours ago and will be back tomorrow night.
Those bumper bolts were great.

These have the right nut, the right curve on the head and right four corners underneath. The small cotter pins is right too. Nowadays all of the are silver zink or chromed. But back in the days they were not. Keith, thanks you so much.

I continued to go through all the stuff in the box and I cannot be more overwelmimng about this catch. Im so grateful that I found it. Everything is correct.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 001.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 363
-
Back