1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
The yellow grease is called " Lubriplate " I first used it in high school auto shop. I have not used it since then and am not sure if it is available.

Lubriplate is not a type of grease. It is a brand -- a very old one -- of greases, oils, hydraulic fluids, and other lubrication products. The corporate website is http://lubriplate.com/ . Lubriplate may or may not have supplied grease to Chrysler Corporation; it is almost certainly not possible to know.

The yellow grease is called " Lubriplate " I first used it in high school auto shop. I have not used it since then and am not sure if it is available.

I have an NOS tube of that from the late 50's early 60's, it is in a Mopar box and the tube has the Mopar forwardlook logo on it too! I will see if it has been opened or not to see the color of the grease, I will also get the Chrysler part number off the box :D

Thanks for all input guys. I really appriciate it. I know Mopar back in the days has some grease called Lithium. What was that for and how does it look?

Lithium is one particular kind of soap base used to thicken oil and make it into grease. Lithium happens to be one of the more common thickeners for grease. What is sold to consumers as "lithium grease" is usually white to pale yellow, and is a general-purpose thin-body lubricating grease available from many manufacturers in many forms (tub, tube, spray, etc). There's a pretty decent article about grease on Wikipedia.

Thanks Dan! I just got back from the shop after glass beading a start relay!! I have bought several from Ebay and asked 50-60 sellers of date code but never close. After searching a friends inventory today I found the closest relay I've ever seen. This one is produced week 35 of 1964. So this will do it for my project.

As most of the electrical stuff it was manufactured by RBM.

Dan! I will do the reading tomorrow. I just wonder where to get the right stuff?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

From factory the universal joint mounted on the prop.shaft had a special clips on the caps that was to be mounted on the yoke on the rear end. I think they must have been there only so the assembly line workers didn't drop any caps during the assemble and got delayed on the line. Any input for this or comments?

I glass beaded mine so the will be black phosphated again.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Thanks Dan! I just got back from the shop after glass beading a start relay!! I have bought several from Ebay and asked 50-60 sellers of date code but never close. After searching a friends inventory today I found the closest relay I've ever seen. This one is produced week 35 of 1964. So this will do it for my project.

I thought your DartCharger was an automatic - isn't that relay for a 4 speed?

I know it's for manual transmission but I will just use the cover! I have bought several relays and all of them are for newer cars. The only way to get a relay with the right date code is to glass bead the old cover, get a new finish on it and use the internal stuff from the newer ones.

But to able to get the right connections the star washer needs to be silver zinc and the nut yelleow dichromate. Re the connection for the fusable link the screw and the "wasker" is wrong on newer relays. From the 64 relay this is how it looked. That why there is a "cut out" on the connection for both old and new ones but only the old ones had the right washer. The screw was silver zinc and the washer too.

Dan! Was most of the electrical stuff made by RPM?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

OK, after I took the last pictures I found out that the rivet holding the contact for the fusable link was splitted on the orginal one. On the newer from 1969 it was not! I also found out that the text on the older ones a little diffenerent between the early and later ones.

I was pretty sure that somewhere over the years I used a NOS one for a 15 miles trip. I found it in the electrical stuff. Dated 094 so I will just use the inside stuff. Now I should be able to get in all settled. Even the little screw and the washer was in mint condition too.

I also found some wiring for the rear tail lamps. But in order to restore them and have the bulb holder glass beaded and new finish silver zink I need to find the small brass ends that goes toward the lamp. Does anyone know if those can be purchase somewhere?

Any help is gladly appriciated.

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

Last night my brother in law Mikael stopped by with an absolutely mint neutral start cable from the starter relay to neutral start switch. A good cleaning today was nedded and it turned out mint. However I needed to find the wiring connectors. After a quick search on Ebay I found them!!

The rubber mounting nut that holds the fake exhaust ports on the doors and front fender has been laying on the shelf for quite some time. After a closer examination I found out it reads Wellnut on them. After a search on Ebay I found those as well!!!! I thought those would be hard to find.

SO, all of you who are restoring a 1965 or a 1966 Dart GT need a set of these. They were $10.99 on Ebay + shipping for 15 of them. That will give 3 for spare.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment $(KGrHqQOKosE3FO8WJR!BN10pLPYEQ~~_12.jpg

View attachment A17586-2T.jpg

On all rear ends during 60s and the 70s Chrysler made markings on the rear end. That should match to the broadcast sheet.

This is how Jim Bodanis 1969 Dart 340 Swinger looked like when he found it. Now I wonder if someone have seen this on a 1965 Dart, Valiant or a Barracuda? And help is very appriciated.

More pictures of his incredible untouched 1969 Dart 340 Swinger can be seen at;

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/JUNE/JUNE.html

View attachment untitled.jpg

I was lucky to find an NOS rear brake hose with the right numbers on Classic Car Weeks swapmeet in central Sweden. My old one was in bad shape but I was wondering; was there any marks on the ends of the brake hose? Paint splots, paint marks or tejp.

I'm looking for NOS clamps that holds the front and rear brake hoses to the body. They are phosphated, not black more like greenish! I would also consider sending my glass beaded ones to a company that can give them the right finish.

Any help is appriciated.

At Classic Car Week I was able to borrow an air cleaner from a friend who has a 1966 Barracuda Formula S. When I got homelast night I found out that there are two styles of air cleaner lid!!!

The one on my convertible has a stamped line above the inlet. The one I borrowed doesnot.

So the question to the FABO community is;

1. Was it differences between the Barracuda and the Dart?

2. Was the difference between the plants?

3. Was the difference between the years (1965, 1966 and 1967)?

From my friend Don(65 dartman) I got the bumper jack for free. Thanks for the help Don! After some examination I found out that it's the right one. So I need to glass bead the pole again and also the mecanism and the plate.

View attachment 057.jpg

View attachment 062.jpg

Ulf, that is a first for me, never seen a lid stamped like that...ever! Any other markings on the inside? That sure is odd, The lids were the same on Dodge and Plymouth models, only the tin decal on the top was different. Maybe you have a very early lid or prototype? There are no clearance issues that would require a dent like that and never seen this on the painted black ones either used on other models. Definitely interesting!!

One thing I noticed with the air cleaner photo, a Dodge has a Charger 273 sticker and Plymouth had a Commando 273 sticker. tmm

Ulf, that is a first for me, never seen a lid stamped like that...ever! Any other markings on the inside? That sure is odd, The lids were the same on Dodge and Plymouth models, only the tin decal on the top was different. Maybe you have a very early lid or prototype? There are no clearance issues that would require a dent like that and never seen this on the painted black ones either used on other models. Definitely interesting!!

Keith!

You might be right! I checked over 200+ pictures and no car with the chromed air cleaner had that stamping. Strange, I wonder why? Anyone more that has some info? Check out your chromed air cleaner and let me know.

All the help I can get is appriciated.

I'm with Keith, I've never seen one like that either. Could it have been damaged before plating? I'm sure those were spun on a pattern. tmm

I'm with Keith, I've never seen one like that either. Could it have been damaged before plating? I'm sure those were spun on a pattern. tmm

Honestly, I'm not sure tmm! I took some more pictures of the air cleaner lids and this is how it turned out.

The left cleaner is the one that came with the convertible. It has the center dome lower then the other one and it also has thenipple a little lower then the right one.

The right one has the center dome on the same level as the outer dome and the nipple is higher mounted.

Another difference between th two is the outer profile. They are not the same. There are some small differences that I never seen before. If anyone is interested I'll shoot some pictures.

Can the lid with the stamping be an early one (pre- production) or a late 67 model?

Any more input in this matter is appriciated

View attachment 063.jpg

View attachment 064.jpg

View attachment 065.jpg

View attachment 066.jpg

-
Back