1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Today I got a sweet package from Keith! What a treasure!

The rear tail pipe that goesover the rear endinmint condition. It even has the tejp with partnumber but I do not know if the tejp tag was there at the factory?

On the rear end of the pipe is a stamped partnumber on the pipe! Never seen it before.

Thanks again Keith. Couldn't have done it without your excellent help.

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

Thanks to Keith I got a new magazine, well new to me anyway. HOP-UP from January of 1965. There is the first pictures of the radiator hose and how it should look.

A small white trace and the upside down word RAD END followed bý the part number. Does anyone know if there is someone who makes the radiator hose with the orginal pattern? I know that Goodyear does not.

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

The check valve is manufactured by Bendix. The easiest way to buy it is checking out the GM section on Ebay!!!!! It was the same check valve as the midsize GM cars had the first five years of the sixties!

Score!

Now I just need the 5/8" wire clamp.

Very easy from numerous vendors who sell individual Corbin clamps or whole-car kits.

Was there a gasket between the carburator and the air cleaner?

Yes. Clearly visible in '65 FPC illustration of contents of AFB carb gasket and rebuild kits.

gut.gif
gut.gif
gut.gif

Thismorning I started to assemble the rear end with the leaf springs, shock plates and the U-bolts. It turned out real good.FYI the nut on the U-bolt is pressed together at the bottom for locking purpose.

The paint code under the center section is for 3.23 gear ratio. More paint codes to come.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

I just found this one on Ebay. Is this the way the air cleaner gasket looked like?

Attachments

• 3a_1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 528
I did some reading tonight and in an old Dodge Reporter I found an ad for University Dodge in Palo Alto, CA. That was in fact the dealership that sold my DartCharger!! How cool is that.

Does anyone know if they still are in business?

Cool find but they are no longer in business here.

That gasket will almost certainly work (4bbl air cleaner gaskets are pretty universal; there are only a few sizes) but given your attention to minute detail I must say it looks as if the original gasket might have been slightly different:

65_AFB_Kits.png

Probably gonna have to buy a NOS carb kit for that gasket.

BTW, I like your new avatar pic Ulf!

Probably gonna have to buy a NOS carb kit for that gasket.

BTW, I like your new avatar pic Ulf!

Thanks Keith! I appriciate your comments. Actuslly I hadn't thought about it.

Anyway I did some searching. I have two original Carter carburator kit. They don't have that air cleaner gasket. Wonder if it has a Chrysler part number?

I grew up here and they were already gone by the time I started driving.....

OK, thanks for the info.

Last night I started working on my only upper control arm.It has a welded L shaped profile on the underside. When did they start with that? My original ones does not have it!

Part# is 2071453 so if someone out there has the other side 2071452 in NOS condition and willing to sell it I would be motre then interested.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 009.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 008.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 007.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 006.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 503
Today I recieved the first matched set of lock and keys. Now I just need to find a date coded switch. I did some examination on my old ignition switch amd it was date coded 504 meaning week 50 of 1964. I checked the ones I have and they are 085, 356 and 138.
¨
Is there someone out there who has a date coded ignition switch from 354 to 035 to sell or for trade to one of mines? Any help is gladly appriciated.

The exhaust hanger on the station wagon at the rear for another discovery! It it the same as the other FABO member mentioned with a nice factory drawing. Now I know for sure how it should look.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 008.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 470
  • 009.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 454
  • 006.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 005.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 476
Today I recieved the first matched set of lock and keys

…with incorrect keys for your 1965. This what you have is the '68-up key with the Pentastar-shaped head rotated 180° from its '64-'67 position. The shanks are the same, so the correct keys will fit these locks you have bought. I think I have a couple of NOS '64-'67 key blanks; send me a PM.

The '64-'67 keys look like this:

64_67_Keyblanks.png

Thanks Dan! I didn't even think about that.

Late last night I did some closer examination on the rear end on the wagon. This is what I found.

Under the center section there is red and white paint = 2,93 gear ratio. On the left side (drivers side) of the carrier is a rectangular white marking. The reason is unknown at this point.

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

…with incorrect keys for your 1965. This what you have is the '68-up key with the Pentastar-shaped head rotated 180° from its '64-'67 position. The shanks are the same, so the correct keys will fit these locks you have bought. I think I have a couple of NOS '64-'67 key blanks; send me a PM.

The '64-'67 keys look like this:

64_67_Keyblanks.png

Dan, your knowledge is amazing! I just checked my keys and they are the correct ones. Thanks for the info. tmm

On my way from work today I started thinking about the carburator gaskets and all of a sudden I remember the 30+ kits I have for late 50ies/early 60ies. When I came home I vent to my parts room and in one kit there was a carburator gasket. Carter original!!!!

This is the way it should look! At least what I know of now! Thanks Dan for your help.

View attachment 001.jpg

On my way from work today I started thinking about the carburator gaskets and all of a sudden I remember the 30+ kits I have for late 50ies/early 60ies. When I came home I vent to my parts room and in one kit there was a carburator gasket. Carter original!!!!

This is the way it should look! At least what I know of now! Thanks Dan for your help.

:cheers:

Dan!

You are so right. But now it is there in place.

Did the last paint mark tonight. I fabricated a stamp and added some white paint on it. I found the same one on my convertible so it seems they were on there. I checked some old pictures and it shows some small small white spots. So it was there.

A friend of mine help me to move the hole darn thing to the assembly room. Now I need to figure out what to do next?? Strange feeling. If I just had the painted body here.........:happy1:

View attachment 002.jpg

After I got the tail pipe from Keith I have been wondering about the exhaust system. Since there are two pipes for the early A-bodies I have been wondering about the exhaust pipe between the Y-pipe and the front muffler. The two I got is NOS, one is in mint condition and have part#2534471. The other one is very good, has some small small small rust on it but is very good. Have the part#2660539. The first pipe is accordning the Chrysler Parts Hi-Performance & Dress-up parts right for the 1965 Dodge Dart w/power pack. The other pipe is according to the partsbook right for 1965 and 1966 Dodge Dart w/power pack. The date of my 1965 partsbook is May of 1965.

If you see on the pictures the first pipe is shorter than the other one. The other pipe is longer but it is bent a little different too.

Does anyone have any idea about this matter? Any help is as always appriciated from you FABO members.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

-
Back