1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I took off the front lower licence plate bracket from the front bumper. Then I found out that all off those parts were silver zinc from factory. This is the fiurst time I've seen silver zinc bolts and nuts during this restoration.

I am in need of one door plate. Mine has an W in the upper left corner but it has been hit with a hammer in earlier life. Anyone out there?

I also need the door weatherstripping with gold color that goes around the doors. I now of the replacement stuff but is there any manufacturer that does these one as orginal?

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

On the windlace (door weatherseal), there are several kinds of "replacement stuff". Until recently all you could get was cotton weave that didn't look at all correct. Now you can get much better material faithful to the original. But if you gotta-just-gotta have NOS, you can get it here.

On the windlace (door weatherseal), there are several kinds of "replacement stuff". Until recently all you could get was cotton weave that didn't look at all correct. Now you can get much better material faithful to the original. But if you gotta-just-gotta have NOS, you can get it here.

Thanks Dan! I will send them an inquiry about the items.

I checked out the dash pad too today and they are date coded. They have a stamped part# as well as a date code. Check it out! Any suggestions on NOS ones laying around......!

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

GF&L! What is that and where?

The lower radiator hose arrived today. RAD END followed by the numbers. Now I just need to get a upper hose. It can't be too hard.......!

But it fitted like a glove with new corbin clamps.

View attachment 005.jpg

It is short for "Good (Freakin') Luck". :-(

OK, I get the picture! Then it is up tomy luck then?Just a matter of time.

ANyway I glass beaded the front licence plats bracket today. Should the plastic nuts be on the bracket from factory? This car did have any but my wagon has them!!

View attachment 002.jpg

How many plastic nuts was on the body for the rear licence plate? I think mine had two + the rubber bumper. Is that the way they came?

When Chrysler delivered the car to the dealership I know that the car was not registred. But who did the registration, was it the dealer who did it for the dealership, did the dealership do the registration for the customer or did the customer do it himself?

Reason for asking is that beside the licence plats on my wagon was a dealer commercial plate for Valley Dodge in Van Nuys!!

I know that Chrysler shipped the cars to the dealership with not all parts mounted. For sure I know these parts was not mounted;

1. Antenna mast
2. Hub caps
3. Rubber mats for the floor

What else was not mounted on the car? What I know if is that these items were shipped in the trunk on the car.

Checked the transmission lines on my car. There seems to be differences between the early style and the later 67 to 69. Anyone bought new ones some where?

I found the small cover that goes on the front cover on the transmission. Is this one right? Never ever have one before.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 521
  • 002.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 528
After trying to match the cover and the smallcover I found out that they don't match!! It must be a different model. Does anyone have one for sale?

I cleaned and polished the black plastic covers that goes on the backing plats. I found out there are different models!
1963 has one model with part# 16 xx xxxx and 64/65 has part# 20 72 ***. But on the covers there are differences too.

The orginal ones on the car didn't has a molded part# in it. Hoever I found one on a Dart produced in Detroit and the plugs on that car has #309938 molded into it. The reproduction is not correct. However it does the work!

Now I just need to find two more plastic covers. The rest of the ones I have looks like junk!

Does anyone have the mecanism for the bumper jack for sale? The post is glass beaded but it was a 1963 Valiant mecanism on it.

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

When Chrysler delivered the car to the dealership I know that the car was not registred. But who did the registration, was it the dealer who did it for the dealership, did the dealership do the registration for the customer or did the customer do it himself?

How this is handled varies somewhat by state. In general, though, it is the buyer's responsibility to register the car after purchase. There are "dealer plates" that can be applied (usually by a magnetic temporary mount) to any car the dealer owns, to permit test drives and such.

Here in Iowa, the dealer does the registration and files the paperwork with the county court house. Most cars are financed and the leinholder keeps the title until the car is paid for. tmm

Did some checking on the wiper arms. They are super clean but they have some extreme small pittings. So I need to find another pair. Does anyone know if there were different styles of arm in 1965? From what I found out from the parts book there are just one part# 2580422. I have heard and I also have both stainless steel ones and kind of grayish style ones. Was the stainless for the GT lineup and the grayish for the standard and 270 Dart?

I also started to work on all the parts that goes inside the door. The chromes frame needs to be rechromed. I even bought a NOS one but after some examination it have too much pitting.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

The matte-finish anti-glare wiper arms were still a couple of years in the future when your '65 was built; chrome is correct.

Dan! It seems that the first part was chromed and the rest was stainless steel. Is that right?

Continued with the interior of the door. The vent frame looks tired and needs a new finish as well as the weaterstripping. Paint on it as wellas some glue! Drilled out three rivets and pulled out the rubber weaterstripping. Imight have found both sides.

The vent frame is silver zinc and the rear frame with the U channel should be just zinc.

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Today I glass beaded most of the stuff inside the doors. I took a good 5 hours to complete. I found my two NOS door locks but found out that the lower corner where the "wheel" is has another shape! What car does this lock fit? The one to the left is the correct one.

One thing that I'm wondering about. What kind of U-channel did they have? In the last picture there are glued weatherstrip inside and around the corner. Where can you get that material?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 452
  • 008.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 009.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 010.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 443
Restoration Specialties or Gary Goers, see here.

Thanks Dan! I will get in contact with Gary! Actually I was thinking of him a year or so ago. But I ciould not remember his name. I was in contact with him before he moved to Kalispel, MT!

I continued the glass beading today. Some of the parts have somekind of yellow grease that I know they don't sell over here in Sweden. Anyone knowing what it is? Help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 428
Thanks Dan! I will get in contact with Gary! Actually I was thinking of him a year or so ago. But I ciould not remember his name. I was in contact with him before he moved to Kalispel, MT!

That would've been a long time ago; he's been there since at least 1989, and I think longer ago than that.

yellow grease that I know they don't sell over here in Sweden. Anyone knowing what it is?

Ordinary standard plain regular general-purpose grease.

-
Back