1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
The decals from the printing shop was done by today. They turned out great. I did 10 decals so I have 8 of them for sale if someone is interested.

I checked and compared how the decal was mounted on the jack base. Finally it is back in the correct (not) position as is was from the factory!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 552
  • 002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 540
What is that? Can't make heads or tails of the picture, except the emblem is what was used on '60-'61 Darts and promotional items for same.

I bought one like this of E-bay recently mine has a spot for a flashlight thought it was cool..

Today I got a large box from Leanna, mistress of metal work! Honestly I must say that after looking at the valve covers that it an understatement!

Those cover looks exactly as they did back in the days. I called two hemi guy in town and two other Mopar friends stopped by. They were blown away of the quality of the work.

I must admit that from the beginning I had my doubts. But after seeing these covers I know that this is a work of art. Looks just like factory pieces.

The covers looks brand new, the fins are mint and the masking of the pipes just as the factory did it. I will give anyone the best recommendations to use Leannas service. She's the master.

I bolted the covers to the engine and now it's starting to get fun! I have never in my life has the experience that the spark plug wires need to be mounted just one way!! The reason is simply the length of the wires. See attached picture. But the repop plastic wire holders are a little too small. I need to dig into that.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 635
  • 002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 003.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 599
  • 004.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 595
  • 009.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 622
  • 007.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 626
  • 006.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 010.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 612
  • 011.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 604
I forgot to mention that the NOS valve cover gaskets have the sharp corners on the small tabs that are sticking out from the covers. Newer ones don't!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 512
Nice work Leanna :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Those look awesome, and those pics you took Ulf, especially the close up ones, look correct!! I never seen really close up pics of ones that she did, they look spot on :glasses7:

They look so much better than "wrinkle paint" and will be so much easier to keep in new condition. Glad we had the discussion on sending them to Leanna.

Today I got a large box from Leanna, mistress of metal work! Honestly I must say that after looking at the valve covers that it an understatement!

Those cover looks exactly as they did back in the days. I called two hemi guy in town and two other Mopar friends stopped by. They were blown away of the quality of the work.

I must admit that from the beginning I had my doubts. But after seeing these covers I know that this is a work of art. Looks just like factory pieces.

The covers looks brand new, the fins are mint and the masking of the pipes just as the factory did it. I will give anyone the best recommendations to use Leannas service. She's the master.

I bolted the covers to the engine and now it's starting to get fun! I have never in my life has the experience that the spark plug wires need to be mounted just one way!! The reason is simply the length of the wires. See attached picture. But the repop plastic wire holders are a little too small. I need to dig into that.

Ulf, I'm pretty blown away by your write up! Thank you so much for everything. I'm beyond happy that you're thrilled with the work (I had my own doubts too as to whether my talents were up to your build :-D).

There's another company that sells the dual style plug wire retainers rather than the single ones you have there. I'll see if I can dig up the link for you.

Thanks again for your business! I truly enjoyed working with you and look forward to the next time. :-D

They look so much better than "wrinkle paint" and will be so much easier to keep in new condition. Glad we had the discussion on sending them to Leanna.

Don I owe you one! I'm so glad that we talked about it and that you told me of Leannas super work! You were so right!

I checked the car keys today. I seems that the early cars had different compare the later 60ies cars.

The difference between the trunk keys is that the 1964/1965 cars had the Pentastar more centered into the middle of the key. The later ones had it more on the top.

Small details I never have seen.

From Rich Ehrenberg I got the story of Essex, one of the companies who made ignition coils for Chrysler. Enjoy!

Magnet Wire History (Essex)

Essex Group began in 1930, when businessman Addison Holton formed the Essex Wire Corporation in Detroit. Essex leased 125,000 square feet of a Ford Motor Company plant and 700 Essex employees began making Model A wiring harnesses, battery cables and other insulated wire products. Essex soon expanded by purchasing the RBM Manufacturing Company in Logansport, IN, which made electrical switches and other automotive components.

In 1932, Essex acquired an Indiana rubber insulation plant in Jonesboro that was famous for its Paranite® brand of building wire.

In 1936, Essex entered the magnet wire manufacturing business by acquiring a vacant industrial complex that had formerly been the Dudlo Manufacturing Company in Fort Wayne, IN. Dudlo was the originator of the modern magnet wire enameling process.

By the 1940s, Essex was producing enough magnet wire to build the millions of transformers used by America and its allies during World War II. Essex plants also produced thousands of miles of field telephone wire for the Army Signal Corps, as well as wiring harnesses for B-24 bombers. Later, Essex was awarded the highly prestigious "E" Award by the Secretary of War.

In 1954, the corporate headquarters was moved to Fort Wayne and by 1965 Essex Wire had grown sales to $355 million with 44 plants in North America. That year, Essex Wire Corporation offered its stock on the New York Stock Exchange for the first time.

In 1974, with nearly 100 plants and sales of three-quarters of a billion dollars, Essex merged with a subsidiary of United Aircraft, later to become United Technologies Corporation.

In 1988, an investor group, including Essex management, took Essex into private ownership where the company continued to flourish. In 1992, Bessemer Holdings purchased a majority ownership in Essex and kept it under private ownership for the next five years.

During the 1990s, Essex greatly strengthened its manufacturing operations in terms of productivity and quality. The company also began an aggressive campaign of acquisitions. Its distribution business expanded significantly in 1995 when Essex acquired Brownell, a large distributor of magnet wire and electrical motors. The Brownell acquisition was absorbed into the Company's existing distribution business, which is now called Essex Brownell.

In 1998, Essex acquired Active Industries, a converter/fabricator of electrical insulation products used mainly by OEMs and motor repair shops. And, in 1997, Essex management once again took the company public on the New York Stock Exchange.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 462
  • 013.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 469
  • 012.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 448
The vacuum hose from the carburator to the PCV valve was mounted. It has a special hardly visible pattern on the hose. It was shortened and mounted. It should not have any sort of clamps.

On the vacuum hose between the intake manifold and the brake booster I added the same hose. In between is the check valve made my Bendix. On this hose there should be corbin clamps but I have not found them in the right diameter.

However I am not sure if the routing on the vacuum hose between the PCV valve and the carburator. Any help is very much appriciated.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 006.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 444
  • 004.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 005.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 007.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 447
I started with the wiring for the car. One of the wiring harnesses was twisted but I hanged it between two poles. So now it starts to look better.

But the lamps is another thing. The lamps here in Sweden have a chromes foot instead a brass foot. And I have found brass foot on all US lamps that comes from US.

Are these lamps still possible to buy in US? I want them to be exactly as they were back in the days.

The wiring harness that is located on the trunk lid for the inner lamps is in nice condition. The sockets can possibly be restored too. But the cover "the sock" is tossed. Can it be bought somewhere?

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 426
  • 004.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 452
  • 002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 454
  • 001.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 430
But the lamps is another thing. The lamps here in Sweden have a chromes foot instead a brass foot.

Not chrome -- nickel plated for corrosion-resistance. For correct function, use European P21/5W for the dual-filament bulbs and P21W for the reversing lamps. If you are really serious about having the original brass-base bulbs, made in America and with the correct type numbers (1034 dual-filament, 1095 single-filament for the inboard tail lamp, 1076 single-filament for the reversing lamp), send me a message. They are no longer current types -- you can get them, but they are poor quality junk from China, and they often have a nickel-plated base -- but I have NOS.

The asphalt-covered wire loom you seek is still available. See enormous number of Google hits and vendors such as this one.

Not chrome -- nickel plated for corrosion-resistance. For correct function, use European P21W for the single-filament bulbs, and P21/5W for the dual-filament bulbs. If you are really serious about having the original brass-base bulbs, made in America and with the correct type numbers (1034 dual-filament, 1076 single-filament), send me a message. They are no longer current types -- you can get them, but they are poor quality junk from China, and they often have a nickel-plated base -- but I have NOS.

The asphalt-covered wire loom you seek is still available. See enormous number of Google hits and vendors such as this one.

Thanks Dan! I have sent you a PM.

I'm in need of the base for the air cleaner. I only have the top!!!!!!

Any help is appriciated

Attachments

• Picture%201769.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 401
Today the front vent window seals arrived from Van's Auto. Excellent reproduction even with the partnumber inside!

The mounting procedure was a little trickier then I thought. But after a while it was there. The other side was worse. The stainles steel bracket where the vent window lock meets was full of scratches. Did some polishing and will continue tomorrow. Hopefully I can assembly the frames tomorrow too.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 002.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 445
I'll look for the air cleaner, I may have that base. Meanwhile I remembered that you have a '65 so there are three different bulbs you need, not just two; see my revised post. Will answer your PM.

You know what's funny about the trunk key ulf, don't know if you had this issue but mine always bent because you always have a tendency to lift up on the key when you pop the trunk. When I got my car in 95 the trunk key was super bent and I couldn't figure out why? Have you had this problem or am I just retarded? Ha! Lookin good man, let me know if you ever need any stock parts because I have a bunch that are just sitting around. Of course i probably don't the real hard to find stuff and I constantly review your posts to see if I have what you need. I still need to get you a picture of the spare to see if it's the original one. Do you know what type of tire is sopposed to be on it?

Dan! Thanks for looking for the base. That would help alot.

gtmopar, I have bent keys over the year too. So were in the same boat! The tire I'm looking for is Goodyear Power Cushion 7.00x13 Black wall or white wall. Thanks for your help.

No air cleaner base in my stash of parts, sorry :-(

Thanks Dan for looking!.

I was working through some parts for the body when I remember that I haven't got the last door striker. Checked the ones on my wagon and thay have the same W stamped into the body.

So for all you guys and gals in US, does someone of you have one of these for sale in good condition? I need the passenger side. Dirty is ok buth no hits with a hammer! It seems that these strikers with the stamped "W" was mounted on LA built cars only.

Any help is appriciated

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 362
-
Back