1965 Valiant front wheels

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
Ok I'm wondering who has 1974 A-body disc brakes on a 1965 Valiant with steel wheels. I'm wondering what size steel wheel clears the front fender after putting on disc brakes from a 1974 A-body. Thanks Jayson

when you put on 73+ disk brakes on an early A body (your 65), the old rim will not fit for 2 reasons.

1) the bolt pattern of the new brake rotor is 5x4.5", your old rim is 5x4".
2) the 13" stock rim will not clear the calipers either.

You will need a large bolt pattern rim for up front on your Dart. 14" stock steelies will work, but tires are harder to find. 15" are a better choice, but may look weird if paired with your 13" stock Dart rear wheels.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know all of that. That's why I want to know what size steel wheel people are using with there 73+ disc brakes on a 65 Valiant. I want to make sure the large bolt steelies I get will clear the fenders when turning. I have a 8.25 I'm putting in the rear when I do the front disc brake conversion. Thanks Jayson

when you put on 73+ disk brakes on an early A body (your 65), the old rim will not fit for 2 reasons.

1) the bolt pattern of the new brake rotor is 5x4.5", your old rim is 5x4".
2) the 13" stock rim will not clear the calipers either.

You will need a large bolt pattern rim for up front on your Dart. 14" stock steelies will work, but tires are harder to find. 15" are a better choice, but may look weird if paired with your 13" stock Dart rear wheels.

Back a few years ago when I had my '65 Valiant, I did the '73-up disc conversion. I used 15" x 5" wheels with 215/60/15s. I can't recall what the backspace was but I don't remember there being any problem with that set up. I did go with the smaller rotors (10.87) though.

Set your ride height before you do your alignment and you should be OK.

Those cars came from the factory with 13s.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've had the disc brake setup for sometime now and plan on putting them on over winter. I had a 8 3/4 out of a C-body that I was going to cut down until I picked up this 1974 A-body 8.25 for $80.00 bucks. It even has 11" brakes. Should work pretty good with a 318 2-barrel. Jayson

A 14" x 4.5" wide (Part#3580345) was used on some of the base Aspen / Volare's. I've found some on late (75 & 76) A-bodys. They work great for that 'bigs-and-littles' look.

Is this for the wagon? If so do you have a build thread? I would love to watch this all come together.

Tim

with the 5X4-1/2" big bolt pattern you have a lot of options for wheels
14" 15" even 16", 17" & 18" with the proper offset and tires

Yes this is for my 1965 Valiant wagon. I've debated about starting a restoration thread being I'm not doing it all at once. It will have to be in phases. Jayson

Is this for the wagon? If so do you have a build thread? I would love to watch this all come together.

Tim

-
Back