1965 Valiant

-
Here is drum on front and my current original rims. etc....
and recommendations on a way to get my wheels to spin freely??

Attachments

• photos james 145.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 365
  • photos james 150.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 372
  • photos james 149.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 388
  • photos james 144.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 371
Start by soaking all 4 wheels,with PB Blaster a few times. Let it soak,24/48 hours. Hit with a 2 pound short handle sledgehammer. It's been a while,since it's been apart. If you're thinking disc brakes,drop the whole front K member.SSOOOO much easier ,to work on.

looks like imma be at parts store shortly to get a couple cans of PB Blaster to get that going. i have one tire that the lugs are locked up cause the hub cap was still on there from 76.

I got a few cans of seafoam "Creeper" sprayed all my lugs that won't spin and the drum. Ill check again timorrow if still locked up ill do it again.

That's the way! Gotta give that stuff time to penetrate.
Unfortunately, it's taken me years and piles of broken parts to learn that.

BC

Well drums are still locked up
And further investigation there are holes in floor of the car.
May start looking for a different project.

I understand the emotional attachment. But it's not going to be an easy project, you should put a pen to it and see how much you are willing to spend. Engine, trans, frontend, interior, metal work, paint....etc... When you are done you might be able to get 5K for it....and that will be on the top end. But it is your grandpa's car and would be great to get it back on the road and when you are done you probably would never want to get rid of it. But a running driving 4 door Valiant would probably cost you 2K.

Yeah, I know.
But come to think I'm a United States Marine. I'm not giving up that easy.
Anyone know a good wreckage yard or parts yard or something like that.
TexasDart any recommendations for shops or parts?

None?? Ouch this is gonna suck a little
Any good recommendations for laces to buy well jusy bout everything from motor and suspesion to wiring and hoses

Called Kaufman Chamber of Commerce. business closed
Called listed phone #. disconnected

Another one bites the dust!

Floor pans are available from several places. Suspension and drivetrain components can be found in Parts For Sale on this forum, sometimes whole cars. Parts cars on ebay. Other forums... Folks here will have sources & I have some, too.
If Grampas car has sentimental value, restoration can be done. If it needs to make economic sense - I doubt it.

BC

Google search can find almost anything for you. Unfortunately scrap metal is worth more in money
and the cost of doing business. I'm afraid it's not gonna get better. Thank you for your service! (I was a squid!)
Persistance can pay off. Look up DFW area car clubs. I'm just throwin' ideas out. All for now.

BC

Alot of the brake and suspension parts are available new at your local parts store or even online. If the brake drums wont spin try backing off the adjuster through the inspection hole on the bottom of the baking plate. You will have to lie on your back under the car and peek in the lil hole. Use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the adjuster wheel.

Here is drum on front and my current original rims. etc....
and recommendations on a way to get my wheels to spin freely??

umm You do know (unless they have been changed) that one side is right hand thread (normal) and the other side is left hand thread on the lugs right?
I watched(I yelled out about the lug nuts to him AND the manager but they just ignored me untill both lugs on the car on one side were ruined) a tire shop take all of my friends 69 charger lug nuts and pop them right off. I asked my friend what they were going to do about it and they wanted to charge HIM to fix their goof. DUH didn't happen.
anyway look for a L in the center of the lug nut stud to make sure. PB blaster is your friend to help free up brake drums. that and a big hammer to help loosen the crud.

Guess my last post was kinda gloomy, sorry 'bout that. crvtec90 is right, it can be surprising what parts are still available through normal retail channels. It's unfortunate that lots of folks working the counter at the generic parts stores only know "if it isn't in the computer, we don't have it." Sometimes you'll find a car person at one of those stores. NAPA and Advance Auto Parts seem about the best around Austin.

I would love to have the chance to work on my grampa's cars. If this is a labor of love, just keep a good attitude and reach out to more groups. Here's one to get ya started: http://www.cowtownmopars.com/

Don't be a stranger here either.

BC

I've got a source locally, in Austin, that is selling off all of his stuff....complete cars only. I'm working a deal on a '65 4 door just like yours (same color, but a slant 6), but he has a couple more of them. Shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to give you his contact info. I'm still looking for stuff to build my daily driver slant 6 2 door '65 Valiant into a turbo charged little beast, but that's a slow go due to the money situation.

Wayne

I promised my great grandmother I wouldnt trash it like the rest of my family would as they arent very car orriented like my grest grandfather was. I came to her asking if I could have it cause it was a coll little.car with alot of history in the family. they got it new and my grandpa rode in it as well as my dad and aunt. Everyone has seen it roll sept me.
BUT I found the keys today. Trunk is full of stuff and got ignition key.
I have the weekend off so looks like im getting into it again. Ill check adjuster wheel crutec90 and no 66Dvert I didnt good thing I havent messed with anymore lol.
64ragtop Its worth it. At least to me. Some think I should stick with building the VW's but im all in for mopar!! :)
Wayneswirld2 does he got alot of cars??

What about CTC auto ranch in denton?
Still in business. CTC's Auto Ranch Inc. 3077 Memory Lane / I-35 North Denton Tx 76207-4919 (800) 482-6199 or (940) 482-3007 Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30-5:30 ***Closed Saturdays & Sundays ...

I'm not sure what the financial details are. You agree on what you want & price, they pull. Nice enough folks in person. They're in the parts business, not the Mopar business.

Try Little Valley Auto Ranch
1151 S Wheat Rd
Belton, TX, 76513

(254) 939-8548 - Phone

I've gotten stuff from these guys before, too. Sorry, that's the best I can do. Two of my "go-to" places closed this past year.

66dvert thank you man! Progress: all four tires off been helping someone move today so haven't had much time for valiant but 5 minutes had all tires off

-
Back