1966 Barracuda radiator shroud / cooling questions

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I got the '66 Cuda out of storage and wanted to take care of some things before cruising this season. Last year I had some issues with overheating and ended up puking about 2 gal of coolant while caught in traffic. I'm looking at a couple options and would like any advice you guys may have.

Right now my set up is basically a bone stock '66 Cuda, but with a 360 block and heads. I have the factory 22" radiator, 4 blade fan but no radiator shroud.

What I'm thinking about doing is either adding a shroud and overflow / recovery bottle or just sticking a 14" or 16" electric fan infront of the radiator as a pusher for backup cooling while in traffic. I have no problems when driving around, just when stuck sitting for a while. How much will a shroud really help in this situation? Would it be better to just go with an aux electric fan?

I know the '66 273 metal shrouds are pretty hard to find, ive seen a few for sale but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet. Searching on here Ive also seen a couple guys using the 70-72 plastic shrouds from 318/340 A bodies. They're for sale on mancini's for about $150. I also saw a B-body metal shroud on mancini's as well. Will this fit the 66 Cuda? It says its for a 22" SB radiator.

Heres mancini's link: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rafansh.html

What would you guys recommend? Shroud with overflow or just go with an electric back up fan for when stuck in traffic?
Thanks!

Have you had the radiator professionally cleaned and rodded out? That would be a great first step. Then launch that 4 blade fan, and fit a later clutch fan. This will make the biggest difference. Also check the other obvious stuff like the radiator cap, pump and thermostat.

If you decide to go electric, skip the pusher, and just have one fan pulling.

The radiator was recored by the previous owner, its in good shape. I'm going to flush out the whole system this weekend and put a new T-stat in, I think it has a 180* now.

I want to keep it as stock appearing as possible so don't want to go totally electric. I was mainly wondering if going with a shroud and overflow tank will take care of my problems in traffic or if a backup fan is really needed. I'll check out the clutch fan too. Thanks!

Another member had the same overheating issues,change out his lower rad hose for one with the spring in it.Problem solved.

I had mine recored to a 3 row. 273 Commando's came with a 7 blade fan. Your problem sounds like not enough airflow at idle since you are fine on the highway. The best fan at idle i have found is a factory flex fan. I'd look for one off a later slant six since it should be closer it the right outside diameter. The clutch fan takes less power and cools much better than that 4 blade fan, like C130 Chief advised above, but the flex fan pulls more air at idle. Which ever you can find, make sure you check clearances to the radiator and all around before you fire it up.

The '64-6 273 engine actually came with a rigid 6 blade fan unless it had factory A/C. I like those the best as they pull plenty of air and they won't grenade like some flex fans will. I don't like the clutch fans for the same reason....the clutch can go bad and come apart. If you don't care about the appearence of a non-stock item in the engine bay, I'd add the overflow bottle. It gives you max coolant without puking excess on the ground. Adding a shroud might improve your overheating problem but it also may just mask an underlying problem that should be fixed first. A car w/o A/C shouldn't need one.

I ve had flex fans and it seems to me that when thay flex with engine rpm they flatten out. When I first drove my dart 340 solid .528 cam, adjustable rockers, 4 speed , 391sure-grip rear, I had NO over heating problems running no fan. If I were you I d wiggle the fan blades to see if it wiggles, if it does the water pump needs to be looked atand the lower radiator hose with the spring inside does the trick but the spring does rot after a while. My friend had a bad exhaust valve spring creating a overheating like you describe. Just trying to cover some bases, maybe it just would like a cooling system overhaul !!!

I am running and would suggest the following...22" radiator, 7 blade fan from an early A body V8 car with a metal shroud and a clutch. Works for me!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2427.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 542
Thanks for the input guys . . .

I'm running a lower rad hose with the spring already, its solid.
I'm really trying to find the best balance between looking stock and keeping the engine cool. I think putting a clutch fan in will be a little too non-stock, but I guess the same goes for an electric fan. I figured I could hide a small 14" elec fan up front and it wouldnt be too obvious.
I'm not overheating all the time or anything, it's only when stuck sitting in traffic, which these cars weren't really designed to do anyways. Thats why I thought an electric fan would be the best option. I wasn't sure how much more air you really get by adding a shroud or a better engine mounted radiator fan.

I'll rephrase my question then, What combo would be the best for cooling at low speeds:
-Shroud with fixed 4 or 6 blade fan and a recovery/overflow bottle tucked somewhere out of sight.
-Electric fan upfront as a pusher, also with an overflow bottle hidden somewhere.

cosgig has exactly what you need !!

You have an air flow problem at no/low speed.
Shroud makes sure all the air the fan pulls comes thru the radiator.
Fan clutch lets the fan slow down when max air flow is not needed.

Electric fans draw a lot of current and without a shroud will not blow/suck much air thru the rad.

Shroud
Plus: Directed air flow for better cooling
Minus: Weight, Cost, Something else to work around, May mask an underlying cooling problem.

Rigid Fan
Plus: Pulls air all the time, simple and reliable
Minus: Noisier than other fans, Takes more horsepower to run

Clutch fan
Plus: Fan only works when needed, Quieter than a rigid fan, Uses less horsepower to run
Minus: Cost, Clutch needs replacing periodically, Clutch failure can cause lots of damage.

Flex fan
Plus: Pulls lots of air at low RPM, Light weight and takes less HP than a rigid fan
Minus: Metal fatigue can cause it to shed blades into radiator or through hood, Some designs are noisy

Add-on Electric Fan
Plus: Added cooling whenever you need it
Minus: Cost, Installation clearence, Noisy, Size and design important for proper operation, Some setups block too much air at higher speeds, Draws lots of electricity so, at idle, many cars' charging systems are actually discharging which causes the lights to be dim at night and can effect some electronic ignition systems.

My own choice? I use rigid blades (the more blades the better) on all my non-A/C vehicles and clutch fans on the A/C cars......just like the factory did. I also use shrouds on everything.

haha! Decided to putz around on e-bay for a couple minutes . . . scored a really nice original 1966 Barracuda 22" metal shroud, with repop mounting brackets for $50 buy it now! Guy had a few days left on the auction with zero bids, at $35 but I didn't want to chance loosing it over $15.

Also picked up a small plastic overflow bottle today from auto-zone. Going to hit up Mancini's tomorrow, one of the perks of living in Detroit, you can shop at Mancini's Racing in person ;) Going to get a 180* high flow T-stat and the correct rad hose / heater core hose clamps. Will spend a couple hours tomorrow going through all that and see if the new T-stat and overflow / recovery bottle help my situation. Then whenever that shroud comes in the mail I'll toss that in for good measure too. There's enough space between the radiator and the grill upfront on the pass side that I can squeeze my overflow bottle there without any problems, I'll just have to remove that Right side grill to get it in. Then I'll rout the overflow tube through the hole the headlight harness runs, its the best idea I can see for being stealthy.

FYI, from all the original factory photos I've seen, the 273 Commando came stock with a fixed FOUR blade fan, just like what's in my car. At least from what I can tell, that's what's original for a non a/c 273 4bbl.

I'm just excited about finding that shroud everyone keeps saying is so hard to find, good deal!

haha! Decided to putz around on e-bay for a couple minutes . . . Scored a really nice original 1966 barracuda 22" metal shroud, with repop mounting brackets for $50 buy it now! Guy had a few days left on the auction with zero bids, at $35 but i didn't want to chance loosing it over $15.

Also picked up a small plastic overflow bottle today from auto-zone. Going to hit up mancini's tomorrow, one of the perks of living in detroit, you can shop at mancini's racing in person ;) going to get a 180* high flow t-stat and the correct rad hose / heater core hose clamps. Will spend a couple hours tomorrow going through all that and see if the new t-stat and overflow / recovery bottle help my situation. Then whenever that shroud comes in the mail i'll toss that in for good measure too. There's enough space between the radiator and the grill upfront on the pass side that i can squeeze my overflow bottle there without any problems, i'll just have to remove that right side grill to get it in. Then i'll rout the overflow tube through the hole the headlight harness runs, its the best idea i can see for being stealthy.

Fyi, from all the original factory photos i've seen, the 273 commando came stock with a fixed four blade fan, just like what's in my car. At least from what i can tell, that's what's original for a non a/c 273 4bbl.

I'm just excited about finding that shroud everyone keeps saying is so hard to find, good deal!

8-)

...scored a really nice original 1966 Barracuda 22" metal shroud, with repop mounting brackets ...

Does anyone know who is repoping those brackets? I have a factory 22" shroud I picked up but I need to find the brackets.

...FYI, from all the original factory photos I've seen, the 273 Commando came stock with a fixed FOUR blade fan, just like what's in my car. At least from what I can tell, that's what's original for a non a/c 273 4bbl...

I've had 3 untouched Commando 273's in Formula S cars. Two 4 speed trans, No AC. and 1 automatic trans from 66 and 67. They were 7 blade fixed fans. I could see yours coming with a 4 blade fixed fan. Nothing is for sure with Ma Mopar. I had the same problem, overheating in stop and go traffic, with a 70's Dodge PU truck. A Factory flex fan fixed it for good, no other changes. Good luck, seems you are on the right track.

Valiant310, this clutch was on a 69 Satellite that I bought a couple years ago. I coupled it with an original fan that is correct for the early A"s. It was brand new so I thought I would use it in place of the fan spacer I was running. I believe it has a part number on it, and I could look for you if you are in need of it. I think this is a typical clutch and I believe that any would work. Geof

That would be great. It must be my later 318 water pump which has a longer snout, as I could not fit a clutch fan in there.

Well 310, I just looked for the part number and couldn't find it. It is not on the face or in the finned area, so it must be on the flange where it mounts. I believe your problem is the later style water pump though. I remember when putting my setup together years ago that I needed a spacer to bring the fan close to the radiator, and when I changed to the clutch, I was able to remove the spacer completely and the clutch puts the fan a perfect distance from the rad. I'm running the early style water pump because my rad is original to the car and the early pump dumps on the same side as the lower rad nipple. The later style aluminum water pump dumps on the opposite side, so your rad must coincide with this??, and unless you want to change your WP and the lower nipple, you may be out of luck. Maybe another member has had to get around this and come up with an easier way. Maybe put it out there in a thread and see who salutes!!! Geof

I am pretty sure I am running a spacer on the wp...yep my rad is a 3 core slant six rad that keeps the car cool all the time.
I may just try getting one of those jaguar clutch fans and seeing if it works with my current setup minus the spacer.
thx

I got the shroud in the mail and its really nice, going to clean it up a bit and throw some satin black epoxy paint on it.
Yesterday I flushed the whole cooling system, did new heater core hoses and a high flow 180 T-stat. She's running much cooler now, I think the T-stat did the trick. The new mixture I did with a bit more water, maybe 30% coolant instead of 50:50.

I got the restoration hose clamps to make everything pretty under the hood, dam those things are a pain. I didnt have the right pliers so used vice grips. Couldn't get the clamps on the short stumpy water pump hose so put the old clamps back on. Today I noticed the heater core hoses going into the firewall are leaking just a little little bit. Everything else seems good to go. I'll throw the shroud on after its painted. So far I'm happy and the engine is running much cooler.

I think those spring steel hose clamps were designed by a sadist. That said, I don't think an atomic blast would remove one. Best to just move on and pick an easier fight

Today I noticed the heater core hoses going into the firewall are leaking just a little little bit.

You aren't going to like those clamps when you discover you carpet is soaking wet with coolant.

-
Back