1966 Dart 273 question

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinB

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about picking up a parts car to help fix up my own 66 Dart GT. I found one near me that the guy is willing to sell for $300. He claims it has "the original 273 with auto".

I tried to find info on the 273 but the things I've read makes it sound like the 273 was only offered with the D/Dart. This car has had so much body work done every panel is a different color. My question is, if it is the original motor, and the VIN number says decodes to a 273, does that mean it is a D/Dart? Or was that v8 offered in the regular GT model as well? And if so, was there a difference between the D/Dart v8 and the GT v8?

Also, did all 273 GT's come with power steering? Also what auto tranny will it likely be?

The 2 barrel 273 was available accross the board in all 64-66 early A body Darts, Valiants and Barracudas, and would be backed by a 904 trans! D/Darts only came with the 4 barrel version of the 273, and with a special cam and header package that gave it much more power! 2 barrel motors were sporting 180 horses, the 4 barrel versions were 235 horse, and the D/Dart motor was 275 horse! Chances of finding a D/Dart are almost nil, it is probably a 2 barrel 273!

As a matter of reference, the trans will have a rear slip joint for a U joint driveshaft front and back, which is a plus! However, you will need to use that trans with a 273 as the converter snout is smaller than the 318 and are not interchangeable! The 66 front spline count will not accept a later converter with the bigger snout, and vise versa!!

I also believe that manual steering was standard on all early A bodies, with power steering being an option!

The 2 barrel 273 was available accross the board in all 64-66 early A body Darts, Valiants and Barracudas, and would be backed by a 904 trans! D/Darts only came with the 4 barrel version of the 273, and with a special cam and header package that gave it much more power! 2 barrel motors were sporting 180 horses, the 4 barrel versions were 235 horse, and the D/Dart motor was 275 horse! Chances of finding a D/Dart are almost nil, it is probably a 2 barrel 273!

As a matter of reference, the trans will have a rear slip joint for a U joint driveshaft front and back, which is a plus! However, you will need to use that trans with a 273 as the converter snout is smaller than the 318 and are not interchangeable! The 66 front spline count will not accept a later trans with the bigger snout, and vise versa!!

I also believe that manual steering was standard on all early A bodies, with power steering being an option!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said!

As a matter of reference, the trans will have a rear slip joint for a U joint driveshaft front and back, which is a plus! However, you will need to use that trans with a 273 as the converter snout is smaller than the 318 and are not interchangeable! The 66 front spline count will not accept a later converter with the bigger snout, and vise versa!!

Thanks! That clears it up for me. Even if it's not a d-dart, I'll try to get it anyway. Should save me around $2k in parts I need to buy!

Thanks! That clears it up for me. Even if it's not a d-dart, I'll try to get it anyway. Should save me around $2k in parts I need to buy!

For $300, it should already be in your driveway!! Bring it home, please!!!

Pics please! For 3 bills you can sell off a few pieces of chrome and the rest is free.

$300 is a good price for an early A with a V8 - get it ASAP!
It'll save you a lot if time hunting for parts!
There's also a lot of folks looking for decent trim such as; head light bezels and tail light housings, so you might be able to sell some excess parts from it to recoup the cost.

The guy has agreed to sell it to me...It's about 1.5 hours away, going to look at it/pay him this weekend.

I'll need a rear end to put under it, he's using the 8-3/4" from it. There's another guy locally that has a 7-1/4" that I'm gonna try to get on the cheap, since I've already got my 8.8 rear.

No pics yet, sorry! The only pic I saw was the one in the ad and he's taken it down.

Expect a fire sale of 66 dart parts soon! I don't want this car to linger in my driveway very long!

That dart had a 8 3/4? Rare. Might be a D/Dart. Get Fender tag pic and post please.

That dart had a 8 3/4? Rare. Might be a D/Dart. Get Fender tag pic and post please.

I'm guessing maybe a custom rear end because he says it has an 8-3/4 rear with 4.88 gears. Interesting that the D/Dart had 4.86 gears, maybe a typo on his part

I was able to find the deleted posting and pic below, I'll check out the fender tag on Saturday

EDIT Also able to find out it has a white interior...I believe all d-darts had red

EDIT the car also has A/C, which the D-darts didn't have, so sorry guys, no legendary backyard find here. Just a regular old good deal

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 254
When you get it home, post a bunch of pics of stuff you want to sell.....I'm sure they'll sell here. I'd be interested inthe horn button if its the right one.

When you get it home, post a bunch of pics of stuff you want to sell.....I'm sure they'll sell here. I'd be interested inthe horn button if its the right one.

that's the plan...The things I need are:

taillights
mirrors
rear pass 1/4 panel
front floorboards
hood trim
misc trim strips here and there
v8 centerlink maybe
gas pedal and linkage
possibly the dash
armrests
underdash ac unit
power steering parts if available
oil pan

Dont take apart till you make sure its not a D/dart. It could be...... If it is, Ill drive to you and pay you 5 grand as is.

Probably not a D/Dart because it doesn't look to be the right color.
Might be a 273 "Charger" ( aka " Commando" for the Plymouth brand) with the four barrel carb, cool valve covers & chrome air cleaner.

Looks great!

Dont take apart till you make sure its not a D/dart. It could be...... If it is, Ill drive to you and pay you 5 grand as is.

For sure, that will be the first thing I do when I get there!

Might be a 273 "Charger" ( aka " Commando" for the Plymouth brand) with the four barrel carb, cool valve covers & chrome air cleaner.

Looks great!
BUT it has a 8 3/4 behind a 904! Could be, might be special ordered or put in later.

Looks great!

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but Tim certainly isn't helping! LOL

Regarding the color, looks like the paint is turquoise...I understand the D/Darts came in white, it could have been a repaint I suppose, but I'm just gonna keep telling myself it's not a D/Dart. I'll torture myself otherwise!

Darts, Valiant and Barracudas came with either a /6, 273 2bbl or a 273 4bbl. I have a 65 Valiant Convertible that is a 273 Commando car, a 66 Valiant that is a 273 Commando car, a 65 Dart Convertible that is a 273 2bbl, and a 65 Valiant 4 door that is a 273 2bbl, 4 speed car. All of these came from the factory that way. As far as the 8 3/4, that was optional in late 65, even on 273, 2bbl cars. Take a picture of the fender tag as it will tell you what motor and transmission the car originally was built with.

Put me in line for the inner fenderwells if you want to drill them out. 66 is a one year only trans (maybe 2) as the later trans had the bigger snouts.

Im in need of the chrome strip under the right rear window. Will send you a pic of the part I need once you decide what you are doing with them. Also if the chrome going down the trunk is decent I would be interested in those as well.
Thanks Rod
PS- hope its a Ddart so you have a treasure! lol

... you will need to use that trans with a 273 as the converter snout is smaller than the 318 ...
You can buy an adapter ring to slip over the torque converter to fit the larger hole of a 1968+ small block. I don't know what year the LA 318 began. Charllie_S or Torque-Flight Patty here sell them (names might be corrupted and Charlie's might be only for slants). You can also install a later torque converter if you also change the input shaft in the tranny, but why bother since I think your tranny is otherwise the same as later ones (lever shift, slip yoke output).

Too bad it is missing most side chrome. That is stainless, so good forever if it doesn't get dented. The front aluminum trim is the hardest to find. If it has the 4 bbl finned valve covers, those alone are $$ for those wanting to clone the HiPo look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back