-
Alan,

I'll update the D/dart list and post it, to see how it looks, even with a
D/Dart 'Question Marks'.

Don't forget 'Peavey Concrete'

T-M-R

D/Darts shipped to Dodge Dealers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Ted Spehar and Ralph Costa {Birmingham, Michigan} picked their 1966 D/Dart up at the Factory in Detroit, Michigan.

* Bob Banning Dodge ~ Hyattsville, Maryland {Received '3' D/Dart cars}

* Albany Dodge ~ Albany, New York

* Funk & Hawley Dodge ~ Batavia, New York

* Knoblock Dodge ~ South River, New Jersey

* Parsons Dodge ~ Washington D.C.

* Sam Brown Dodge ~ Salem, Ohio

* Porach Dodge ~ Cleveland, Ohio

* Frederick Dodge ~ Canfield, Ohio

* Northridge Dodge ~ Northridge, Ohio

* Chuck Hutton Dodge ~ Memphis, Tennessee

* Crouch & Richardson - Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge ~ Irvine, Kentucky

* Lenox Dodge ~ Atlanta, Georgia

* Chuck Hutton Dodge ~ Columbus, Georgia

* Liberty Motors ~ Birmingham, Alabama

* Suburban Dodge ~ Berwyn, Illinois

* Grand-Spaulding Dodge {Mr. Norm's} ~ Chicago, Illinois

* Palmer Dodge ~ Indianapolis, Indiana

* Button Motors ~ Kokomo, Indiana

* Biscayne Dodge ~ Biscayne, Florida

* Southside Dodge ~ Jacksonville, Florida

* Bob Drake Dodge ~ Tallahassee, Florida

* King Dodge ~ St. Louis, Missouri

* Coronet Dodge ~ Kirkwood, Missouri

* Jim Clark Dodge ~ Kansas City, Missouri

* Pasadena Dodge ~ Pasadena, Texas

* Jack O. Diamonds 'Lucky Dodge' ~ Longview, Texas

* Mile-High Dodge ~ Denver, Colorado

* Ed Eisenhauer Dodge ~ Gran Junction, Colorado

* Mount Vernon Dodge ~ Mount Vernon, Washington

* Atlantic Dodge ~ Los Angeles, California

* Walker Dodge ~ Canoga Park, California

* Hollywood Dodge ~ Los Angeles, California

* Delano Dodge ~ Delano, California

* Westlake Dodge ~ Daly City, California

* Glendale Dodge ~ Glendale, California

* Familo Dodge ~ Pomona, California

* Worthington Dodge ~ Carlsbad, California

* Arden Dodge ~ Sacramento, California

* Steve Newton Dodge ~ Tujuna, California

---------------------------------------------------

'42' and still counting.........

Note; The San Leandro, California 'Dart GT' is 'not' a D/Dart.

Still Checking

Welcome to the site. Hope that you enjoy this thread. If you want to read more on these cars, go to the search function and type in ddartdude. You'll find a bunch more Thread. My email is [email protected]. I also provide info to the D/Dart website. You can do a google search to find it. Just type in ddart2.

Do you have any pictures of the car? Any documentation. Do you know the VIN? I know it was a long time ago, and probably many moves ago, but you never know what people save.

Alan,

There was mention of a D/Dart out of Yakima, Washington.

The only listing I found that was on the 'Special Performance Group' Dodge list in Washington was;

* Mount Vernon Dodge

Paul,
I'm thinking that Banning Dodge might have received more then 3 cars.

The Bounty Hunter
The New Comer
I'm pretty sure my old white one - 933 was from there
And X-TECH Man on Classracer said his friend David Wallace bought a new one and they both raced it against the Banning car at Aqusco.

Checked the list and New SYMRNA Dodge, in New Smyrna, Fl isn't there. That's the one that Jim Wahl said the owner's son raced. He also mentioned that the dealership was Dynamic Dodge. Not sure if that was before ar after 1966. Looks like a PM is in order.
Alan

Alan,

'll check on Bob Banning Dodge.

They were the biggest Dodge Performance Dealer along the Atlantic Coast Area,
so it's possible they may have gotten more than '3' D/Darts.

Lots of Tracks in that area,
* Cecil County
* Capitol
* Aquasco
* Maryland International Raceway {Budd's Creek}

Unless you're referring to the cars Banning and Sons Motors received? Dave Reitz who drove for Bob Banning is still racing can be contacted. I would imagine he could tell you how many D-Darts they had.
http://reitzracing.com/

I believe there is ones claimed to be here in the Battle Ground/Vancouver Washington area. I have not seen said car only heard of it being under restoration locally through the grapevine.

I only have one picture of the Dart. All the paper work went with the car when I traded it in. I bought it as it came from the strip. The tail shaft bearing froze up when they were towing it back from SIR and spun the trany tearing shifter and the linkage[and mount] off the tail shaft. They put a T~flight in it and sold it to me 4500 miles, spring of 1970.

I was at the dealership when it came in $7200.00 on the sticker if I remember right. They sent the engine to Precision [Engineering?] in Seattle before they ran it. It had a Racer Brown cam and springs and a spaced up Holley when I got it. They took the gas cooler out other than that all the drag stuff was there, snubber above the back u~joint, 90-10s and the 50-50s. The slicks were on it when I drove it away.

Mt Vernon Dodge ran it three years the only time card I had for it was 13.00 at 111.9. My wife took my 66 Dodge Hemi[family car] to the strip once and it ran 13.5 at 105. slicks[at 45lbs:color: I was gone at work]. and through the mufflers. It was a bracket race she went to. I ran it one time in SS/BA.

I will shut up now.:wave:

I only have one picture of the Dart. All the paper work went with the car when I traded it in. I bought it as it came from the strip. The tail shaft bearing froze up when they were towing it back from SIR and spun the trany tearing shifter and the linkage[and mount] off the tail shaft. They put a T~flight in it and sold it to me 4500 miles, spring of 1970.

I was at the dealership when it came in $7200.00 on the sticker if I remember right. They sent the engine to Precision [Engineering?] in Seattle before they ran it. It had a Racer Brown cam and springs and a spaced up Holley when I got it. They took the gas cooler out other than that all the drag stuff was there, snubber above the back u~joint, 90-10s and the 50-50s. The slicks were on it when I drove it away.

Mt Vernon Dodge ran it three years the only time card I had for it was 13.00 at 111.9. My wife took my 66 Dodge Hemi[family car] to the strip once and it ran 13.5 at 105. slicks[at 45lbs:color: I was gone at work]. and through the mufflers. It was a bracket race she went to. I ran it one time in SS/BA.

I will shut up now.:wave:

Very Nice.............:cheers:

If it was the Spring of 1970 when you got the Dart, and it was
equipped with a Torque-Flite and was still claimed as a 273/275 HP
Engine.

You would have to be classed in H/SA in 1970 {10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp}, or a Modified Production Class.

Does that sound correct....... ?

Alan,

Back in the Day >

There was a Dodge Dealership off of West New York Avenue {State Road 44} near
New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

It was near the New Smyrna Speedway 'Daytona Raceway' {NASCAR 1/2 Mile Oval Track}

Very Nice.............:cheers:

If it was the Spring of 1970 when you got the Dart, and it was
equipped with a Torque-Flite and was still claimed as a 273/275 HP
Engine.

You would have to be classed in H/SA in 1970 {10.50 to 10.99 Wt/Hp}, or a Modified Production Class.

Does that sound correct....... ?

It was a four speed before the tail shaft froze up. 4.88 rear end.

It was the same as before just had the Torque-Flite in it. I wound up putting a 4 sp back in it as the TF didn't like the hi-rpm shifts. This was not the 275 hp Dart. They said it was one of fifty that Dodge built and the only one in Washington. I never had it on the strip, might have had it in a stop-light run or two. They told me the hp was around 325. I know it was run three seasons against the 271 hp Stangs[never got beat] and took Comp elimanator [I think it was index racing?] the last three outings. Louie Parker drove it. Ned VanDine[sp] owned Mt Vernon Dodge. The name on the door was Mini Mopar.

I drove it on the street, never took it to the strip. I bought it because it was a fun ride.

I mentioned seeing a post about one being in Pa. Just found it and I don't think it was one --

This is the post by Bob George .... I recall a 66 D/Dart at George Steward Dodge in Washington Pa.in 1966. It was yellow,with Crager wheels,offenhouser intake,Holly carb,Doug hedders. Go figure?

I do know there is a yellow on in that area right now.

Mini Mopar,
I have a copy of a one owner Oklahoma title that was issued in 1975 for a D/Dart. It has a Total Delivered (EXCISE) Price of $2850.00 and a Factory Delivered (LICENSE) Price of $2525.00. I have no idea what this stuff means. I do know that this car was bought in Md, went to Ca and then to Ok in 1975. The guy was in the service.

I also have a Retail Buyers Order for a D/Dart --- 919. The Buyers Order shows a price of $2875. It was a sponsored car.

Alan,

On Bob Banning Dodge {Hyattsville, Maryland}

Served the following Drag Strips;

Maryland
* Capitol Raceway ~ {Odenton}
* Cecil County Drag-O-Way ~ {Rising Sun}
* 75-80 Raceway ~ {Monrovia}
* Aquasco Speedway ~ {Aquasco}
* Maryland International Raceway ~ {Mechanicsville}
* Mason-Dixon Dragway ~ {Boonesboro} ~

Delaware
* US-13 Dragway ~ {Delmar}

1966 Dodge D/Dart

Myth

Dodge and the 'Special Performance Group' wanted to build a potent car for the 1966 NHRA
D/Stock Class {10.60 to 11.29 Wt/HP} - to specifically go after the 'D/S' National Record Holder,
Barry and Ernie Musser out of Reading, Pennsylvania with their 1961 Corvette 283/270 HP.

The 1961 Corvette had set the 'early-1966' NHRA D/S National Record @ 12.98.

Fact

After building '50' Dart Drag Packages on April 17, 1966 - and ready for shipment
by the end of the April 1966.

Not one D/Dart was shipped to any Dodge Dealership within the vicinity of Reading,
Pennsylvania {Also the home of Maple Grove Raceway}.

Since Banning was the largest performance dealer on the Atlantic coast, maybe they got all the cars that were destined for the Reading, Pa. area. That might be the reason behind the 3, 4, 5 or 6 cars that were in his area.

Still looking into other cars that Alan Lewis had received emails about. Also a couple from the Classracer site.

Alan

Paul,
After going through all the stuff that Alan Lewis has sent me, I believe that the son of the original owner of the Albany Dodge D/Dart found it and is having it restored. His story about the car is in the Story section of the D/Dart site. His name is Paul - no last name given. That's why I asked you about your dad owning one.

He also sent me an email from a guy named Al Miller that bought one new from Shortman Dodge in Overland Park, Ks. I tried to email the guy but had no luck. The email domain is no longer good. I'll keep looking for him.
Alan

Alan,

Pennsylvania Dodge Dealerships

I couldn't find one on the 'Special Performance Group' list for 1966.

Shively Motors {Dodge Dealership in Chambersburg, PA} were only focused on
Super/Stock and AWB cars, and were not interested in a D/Dart, though they
were offered one in May 1966.

I'm checking on D/Stock Class Winners at the Pennsylvania Drag Strips for 1966.

* Maple Grove Raceway ~ {Mohnton}
* Vargo Drag Strip ~ {Perkasie}
* Pocono Drag Lodge ~ {Bear Creek}
* Erie Dragway ~ {Lowville}
* Pittsburg International Dragway ~ {Bridgeville}
* York US 30 Dragoway ~ {York}

Alan,

A 'D/Dart' was shipped to Marion, Pennsylvania {South Central, PA}.

This Dart ended up in the shop of Bill Stiles {York, Pennsylvania} in May 1966 for
preparation.

It was supposed to be sponsored by the 'South Central Pennsylvania Dodge Dealers',
but was only raced briefly in the Summer and Fall of 1966, before being sold off.

SCentral-PennaMap-Website.jpg

Newcomer: I seem to have more photos of that car than any other. tmm

Attachments

• bwback.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 506
  • bwfront.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 605
  • LgNewComer1-1 D-Dart.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 827
  • newcome1 (1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 518
  • trailer2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 557
Another 1966 D/Dart,

Was prepared by Bill Stiles Performance {York, Pennsylvania}

ddartclr.jpg

Paul,
This is what I got from Kenny Stewart yesterday on the Newcomer....

Both the Newcomer and the Bounty Hunter Darts were delivered to Bob Banning Dodge in Hyattsville, New Carrolton, MD (?). I don’t think it’s still under the name of Banning Dodge…can’t find it on Goggle anyway. The story goes that John Armstrong, the guy who actually owned the Newcomer, was friends with the tri-state Chrysler rep back in the day and somehow got an ‘in’ when the D/Darts were distributed. They had two of them delivered to Banning Dodge and my dad and a friend went up and drove the Newcomer back…the only time it was street driven. I don’t know how they decided which went to banning and which one Armstrong got. That’s how I remember the story anyway.

I have a friend that's going to try to get some info from Banning Jr. I tried the Reitz site and it didn't work for me.

Did you say Bounty Hunter?

Attachments

• Banning-D-Dart-----for-web (1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 603
  • d-dart2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 729
-
Back