1966 Dodge Dart

-
Finally got out this weekend and got something done on the car. Wasn't much but moving forward again. I hung both fenders onto the car. I wish the gap were better then what they are but I can except them where they are at. As for the sealer between the fender and engine compartment I went with the black dumb-dumb i got from NAPA. I cut the strips down to be about 3/8" wide and it made a nice seal. Heres some pics of this weekends progress.
View attachment 1715152000 View attachment 1715152001 View attachment 1715152002 View attachment 1715152003 View attachment 1715152004
Next I thought I would wire the tach up and when I went to get my schematic I made I found I forget where I put it. That might be a problem! This getting old and not remembering is starting to catch up with me. Well I know I didnt throw it out so I will find it somewhere, and hopefully soon!
Well thats it for tonight but I plan on doing at least 2 nights of work this week.
I'll keep you posted.
Rod
Nothin wrong with those gaps. And don't worry, you'll find the schematic when you are looking for something else. :lol:
FYI, your Vette is some bad *** grape jelly. :poke::rofl:

Very nice work. What kinda wheels do you have. They look like mine.
The are Weld wheels. I didnt put the center caps on the front yet because I will need to get them off to align the front end if I ever get to that point of the build!

The are Weld wheels. I didnt put the center caps on the front yet because I will need to get them off to align the front end if I ever get to that point of the build!

Ok, thanx
Mine are Cragers... Bob Glidden editions.

Well today is April 9th. Its been all but a month since my last post. I dont have much to report. I did weld the holes shut on the drivers rear quarter. Then I welded the rocker panel seam shut on the drivers side as well.
Threw some filler in to start the body work and started sanding. I hate sanding but I think I mentioned that a few other times in this thread. I was laying on the creeper with dust dropping on my face and I came to a decision! Im going to try to find someone to finish the rear quarters. Im no body man and I dont enjoy it. I dont really want to spend the money for someone else to do it, but I hate it that much.
I would rather spend time straightening and polishing the trim. I also need to finish the interior and cant move forward on that part until the body is painted. If its me doing the body that could be years from now.
Now what Im going to try is to find someone that will come to the house here because I dont want to take it to someones shop where I cant watch what goes on. Im also going to try to settle on a price and pay the first half as we go then not pay the final total until its completed. That way I dont end up with half the job done. Of course I may not find someone that will agree to that. Guess we will see how it comes out.
I'll keep you updated on my progress.
As always thanks for following
Rod

Well its been over a month since my last post. Ive spent a few weekend days out in the shed trying to get the rear quarters to an acceptable level of repair. You know the drill, add filler, sand it off, add more filler and sand again. Well I was making progress this past weekend on saturday and then sunday came around and I finally got a day of sunshine so I needed to mow the yard, work in the flower beds. At the end of the day I sat down in my chair and realized at the rate I was going the car would take a few more years to complete. So i guess you would say at that point I made a major decision. It was time to get a real body man to finish the body work. Now if you have followed this thread you know I had a body guy lined up that owned me money but he would never show up to throw labor at his debt. It been all but 3 years so I finally realized he was never going to come and do the body work. So around 6:30 sunday night I called another person I knew that does some side work. We talked on the phone and he came straight over and by 7:30 that night I had hired someone to finish the body. He showed up Monday morning and yesterday he told me we would probably be painting the car in 3 weeks. SO with that coming faster then I thought it would I need to decide on the paint scheme. I was thinking white body and black old school racing stripes with my scoop black as well. So last night I did some layouts and heres what Im thinking about.
20180522_234948.jpg
20180522_234514.jpg
20180522_234503.jpg

Amazing what you can do with body paper!
I thought about the stripe being red like the interior but Im leaning to black. And maybe finish it off with black painted bumpers.
What are your thoughts?
Im hoping things will move fast this summer and by October I will be able to go to the Ridgley Md car show that Richard Petty is always at.
Thanks for following and hopefully now I will be posting the cars finish coming this summer into fall!
Rod

Dan, I get the patriotic red, white, blue however I dont have anything that really matches a blue. I wish I did as I think a white body and blue stripes would be damn nice!
Rod

Last edited:
You got me thinking and I may have a solution that would work. First let me say that I suck at matching colors. So I had to ask the wife to sit down with me and see what would work. Heres an option that she said would work. First the exterior of the car would still stay all white with the exception of the stripes. With the interior being almost exclusively red I would need to go with blue seats (if I want the blue stripes) so I found these on ebay. Will look for the same thing on summit but for now heres a pic of the blue. (i really like this blue)
seats.jpg

I would need to buy a red certifiable drivers side harness but was going to have to do that anyways.
The wife said the blue would be ok with my all red interior.
DSCN0565.JPG
DSCN4572.JPG

With the blue seats I could go with a set of blue racing stripes and then I would still have a choice of either black or chrome bumpers.
So as of now thats kinda the direction I am looking to go. The bad part of it is it cost more money to buy another set of seats when the red and black seats are new as well. But I like the blue stripes so much better.
I dont have a lot of time to make this decision as I think it will be in a painting booth in 10-14 days from now. So i will need to finalize my choice soon.
Stay tuned!!
Let me know your thoughts.
Rod

You got me thinking and I may have a solution that would work. First let me say that I suck at matching colors. So I had to ask the wife to sit down with me and see what would work. Heres an option that she said would work. First the exterior of the car would still stay all white with the exception of the stripes. With the interior being almost exclusively red I would need to go with blue seats (if I want the blue stripes) so I found these on ebay. Will look for the same thing on summit but for now heres a pic of the blue. (i really like this blue)
View attachment 1715180276
I would need to buy a red certifiable drivers side harness but was going to have to do that anyways.
The wife said the blue would be ok with my all red interior.View attachment 1715180277 View attachment 1715180278
With the blue seats I could go with a set of blue racing stripes and then I would still have a choice of either black or chrome bumpers.
So as of now thats kinda the direction I am looking to go. The bad part of it is it cost more money to buy another set of seats when the red and black seats are new as well. But I like the blue stripes so much better.
I dont have a lot of time to make this decision as I think it will be in a painting booth in 10-14 days from now. So i will need to finalize my choice soon.
Stay tuned!!
Let me know your thoughts.
Rod

Hey Rod, Your choices give a new meaning to CUSTOM. I like the seats and the color. What did you use for sound deadening, and who did your dash bezels? Looks Great!! Old Dart 66

Old Dart 66,
The sound deadening is lizard skin. I like their products and have used them many times before, especially their product for reducing heat. when you say who did the dash bezels Im not sure exactly what you meant. I did all the dash myself. I replaced the radio with all the gauges by welding in a solid plate then cutting the holes to fit everything.
Thanks Rod

The body guy called me today while im away to tell me he primed the back end of the car and he ask me if he could go get another gallon of primer so he could spray primer on the whole car this week and have it ready to go to the body shop for painting for the weekend. This is happening very fast! I never expected things to happen this quick!
Now I need to finalize my thoughts on paint scheme. I ordered the Blue seats that I posted above and I have decided to go with the blue stripes. Still not sure if I will be putting a small outline around the stripes or maybe a small/thin outline around it. I will be sure to keep my eyes open this week to see what I like. I havent had a car with racing stripes since 1977 when I had a Mustang!
This is gonna force me to get out to the shed regularly now so I can finish the car once it gets paint and comes home.
Things left to do would be repair and polish all chrome and front grill assembly. Im sure that will be a few weeks. Then I have the carpet, headliner and interior to put back together. The inside trunk is going to need painted and the the finishing of the underside of car. All the wheel wells need calked and seam sealed, and then painted!!
The worst job I have to finish will be the wiring and the emergency brake cable alteration. Ill keep you posted as I have until October to have it finished!
Rod

Came home last night from a few days away and heres how i found the car. Looks like the rear quarters, trunk deck and sail panels are ready for paint.
DSCN0520.JPG
DSCN0518.JPG
DSCN0525.JPG
DSCN0524.JPG

I was thrilled to see that. Now he is starting the finishing of both doors and front fenders. Shouldnt take to long on those as I have them pretty close and all he has to do clean them up from where I thought was ok!
Still thinking of painting the car either this weekend or beginning of next week. Wow, how things can move quickly!
I guess tonight I will try to layout where the hood scoop will go and prepare to cut the hole for the 2x4 set up.
Promise some pics of that operation as I go.
Thanks Rod

WOW! Those quarters look awesome. :thumbsup:
If you took the background out of the pic I'd have thought it was a plastic model. LOL

Great job... Looks great Rod... Keep it up... Getting ideas for mine..

Well Keith just so you know that as much filler as I put on and then sanded off you could have built many model! I'm very happy and wish i would have done this a year ago. I did get 90% of it done on my own but that damn body line was just a little above my talents and I was to picky with it. Hes also going to clean up the fronT fender lines that were driving me crazy back in the winter. You remember those dont you? Can't wait to see it with blue stripes! Looks like it's going on a trailer ride this weekend!
Rod

Well its time for an update. Last Friday night I came home from work and Ray says "how long would it take to get this to the body shop". I told him I could get it there over the weekend and he says no I mean tonight. So I move everything in the shed to get the car out, hook the trailer to the truck and load the car up and head to the body shop. He blocks the car down on Saturday and Sunday and tells me he can get it into the booth on Tuesday. His plan is to have the Base white done by the time I get off work, but when I get there at 5:30 that night its still not in the booth yet. The shop owner is spraying something for a customer but finishes around 6. Until we get it in the booth, tape it up and wipe it down and spray the first coat of white its 11 PM. 3 coats of white, layout stripes, tape off all the white and spray the blue stripes, then untape and clear the car, I dont get home until 6 AM wednesday morning. What a long night! But its now in color and Im off to work. He calls me at 10 AM that morning to tell me the car is sitting outside and I should bring the trailer up and take it home. So by Wednesday the car is back in my shed. Heres what it looks like after the paint
20180606_125726.jpg
20180606_125755.jpg
20180606_125735.jpg
20180606_125803.jpg
20180607_065712.jpg
20180607_065658.jpg

It really feels good to have that part of this done. Now im in the process of wet sanding so I can polish and buff it out. Then I will take the car and put it in the house garage so I can start to rework and polish all the trim. Once I get the car wet sanded and polished I will get some better pics and post them. Its been a long week but im very happy with the results.
Rod

Forgot to say I found some other seats that where blue and that allowed me to go with a blue stripe. I will be removing the red and black seats sometime shortly. Im not sure what Im going to do with them since they are new as well. I might make seats for in the garage. But thats why I went with the Blue stripes instead of black stripes that I originally was going to go with.
Rod

Been wet sanding on the car since I got it back from paint. An hour here another hour there. I should finsih the first sanding tomorrow night as all i have left from the 1000 grit is the drivers rear quarter. Then I start all over again with 1500 wet sand. Once thats completed it will be time for bufffing. I will be getting some buffing lessons from the old guy down the road! Pics will come out once I have it buffed and shining!

Heres some in the process pics of the car as I wet sand. You can see the drivers rear quarter still hasnt been sanded. I didnt have time tonight to do anything to it so it still isnt sanded yet either!
DSCN0599.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG

Heres a closeup of the stripe and you can see what Im trying to sand out.
DSCN0592.JPG

I need to be careful as the Nason clear I used said to only do 2 coats.
SO, next is the 1500 grit and then the compound and buff to finish.
Rod

I just read your whole build thread , wow what a journey . It looks great !
Looking forward to the completion .

-
Back