1966 Dodge Dart

Discussion in 'Members Restorations' started by rod7515, Dec 22, 2013.

1. rod7515

rod7515 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:42 AM
    Well I got some time this week that I spent working on the car. I painted the console, heater vents for dash, arm rests and door panels. I dont know if any of you have followed the thread I started earlier this week in the Interior section about my door panels but these panels got very expensive because of the vinyl paint and cleaner. I was shocked to find that red Vinyl Dupont Paint was $107 for a pint. Then the recommended cleaner was $102 a gallon and they didnt have a smaller container. So i actually ended up using 2 pints total of the paint. I did the panels in a low gloss for the textured areas of panels and a medium gloss for the Solid smooth areas. Taping was fairly easy as I used the 1/4" vinyl tape that I had left over from striping the car. Im happy with the end results. Problem is I still have the front windshield pillar covers and the trim that goes on under the inside of the windshield to paint and Im out of the Dupont. Im going to use a plastic rattle can for those parts as there is a color fairly close. Since they dont get touched and moved Im not worried about flaking or cracking later. Here are some pics of the process and finished parts. The first pic is the panels wash and scrubbed but still has the dark stains from 50+ years of use.
    DSCN0738.JPG
    below is the pic of the panels taped, wiped and ready for paint DSCN0877.JPG
    Next is the textured areas painted with the low gloss
    20181016_193632.jpg
    then the higher gloss area was painted and here is the final results of the completed panels
    20181017_071239.jpg
    also I painted the console
    20181017_071408.jpg 20181017_071418.jpg
    And lastly the arm rests and dash vents. 20181017_071451.jpg 20181017_071635.jpg
    So now I can move forward to getting the interior in place. Will be working on that in the next week.
    Rod

• Like Like x 3
    • PSegarra

PSegarra FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Damn!!!!! That looks great...

• rod7515

Local Time:
      Here's something that I hope will help other members when restoring your cars. I was watching some videos the other day and I saw a guy talking about replacing the chrome trim on door panels. So I went down to the local Ace Hardware and I bought a roll of the chrome tape. I cut a piece about 1/4" longer on both ends of the trim that the chrome had peeled and very carefully I put the tape on the trim area. Once I had it on I used my finger nail to push and cut the excess off. Here are pics of the one panel i did tonight.
      20181023_230152.jpg 20181023_230236.jpg You have to be careful when peeling the back off as it will curl up and stick together and your going to the next piece! Ask me how I know!
      Rod

• Like Like x 2
      • zkx14

zkx14 Duster De-ruster FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I dropped in for an inspection today.. LOL
        Looks even better than the pics... Keep up the awesome job! This thing will be on the road soon. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • rod7515

Local Time:
          Not much happening lately that I can report on. I found out I put the rear window in to soon and its going to have to come out. The reason for this is because i only put the clips on not thinking about the trim around the rear window that goes on before the clips. Whatever you do, dont make this mistake!! So I decided to start some polishing of the trim since I have to polish the rear window trim and Im finding out this is a time consuming part. Here are the pics of the headlight bezels I did.
          The first pic is one completed and one that needs done. The second one is with both completed and one of my spare bezels that needs done.
          20181117_203331.jpg 20181125_210645.jpg
          Then I moved onto some trim. The 2 trim strips that go down the rear quarters had some damage that needed fixed and i started on them but will finish them later this week. Heres the one piece that i repaired tonight and the tools that I made to repair it.
          20181204_222824.jpg
          20181204_222851.jpg 20181204_222910.jpg 20181204_224210.jpg 20181204_225137.jpg 20181204_225143.jpg
          So thats where I am at right now. Ill post pics later this week of this trim finished and polished. Im hoping to get the car back into the garage in a few days and get the interior and trim put on.
          I did order 2 bumpers that are to be ready in Mid January and I will need to get to Allentown Pa for a car show where they will be delivered. So if anyone else is going to be there let me know so we can say hello! Oh, almost forgot I actually found 2 decent reverse lights in really good shape and they were only 20 miles from me! Im still going to need to do the front grill and I think thats going to be the most time consuming part and also the most difficult!
          One last thing to fellow Dart owners, I still looking for the Dodge emblem that goes on the rear trunk with the Dodge emblem attached. Should you find one that in good shape please let me know. I know theres one on Ebay but Im not paying $175 for it!
          Thanks Rod

• Like Like x 2
          • SSVDP

SSVDP FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            Fantastic work!
            You should put some clear paint on those aluminum trim pieces or they will oxidize again.

• rod7515

Local Time:
            I've thought about doing the clear on the grill and bezels. Heres what's keeping me from that, first many have said they leave them as is and just polish them with a hand cleaning once a year, I was going to have them anodized again but dont want to take them until grill and trunk parts are ready and lastly doing the clear coat, it would be a bitch to repair and strip if they got any chips while driving. At this point I'm leaning to the once a year polish and using a detail spray during the year. Just my thoughts at this time.
            Rod

• Like Like x 1
            • toolmanmike

toolmanmike FABO Staff Staff Member FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
              Local Time:
              12:42 AM
              Damn, nice work. I have an extra pair that I need to practice getting out dents. I don't seem to be too handy with that kind of stuff.

• rod7515

Local Time:
              Toolman, I have 6 sets of bezels and 3 spare grills that I hope once this car is done I can rework and buff out as well. It takes a lot of time but they surprised me how they turned out. And I didn't get them as good as I would have liked! Will redo them once I have the car together. Thanks for the compliment!
              Rod

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
              • Like Like x 1
              • dogbreath

dogbreath Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                12:42 AM
                gloss clear cerakote on the trim

• rod7515

Local Time:
                Dogbreath, gloss what is that and how does it go on? Where do you buy it and do you have any sample pics? Thanks Rod

• daves66valiant

daves66valiant Hibernation over. 1968 Dart V8 swap in full swing FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
                10:42 PM