1966 rear factory swaybar?

-

dartyardbird

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Nick and this is my first time on here. I have a 1965 Dodge Dart Gt. Yesterday, I bought a 1st generation factory sway bar.
The guy I bought it form also had what he claims is a rear factory
sway bar. He says that there were both on his 1966 Barracuda S
which is how he ordered it. I bought both complete for $200. I cannot
find any info on a 1963 to 1966 rear factory swaybar. I talked to Rick
at Layson's today and he has known of several. usually included in a tow package. Does anyone know anything about this. I would really appreciate
any information on this. Thank You and God Bless.
Nick

A rear sway bar or anything else could be had for a price. When special parts are ordered on police fleet contracts, the parts are sometimes outsourced, and sometimes dealer installed. I've been there, done that. Afterwards a customer orders with towing package or whatever, and also wants the special part he can get it, for a price. Bottom line... never say never.

They weren't available from the factory until the 70s. There were no police package A-bodies until then. The bottom line is that no 66 Barracuda or ANY 66 A-body left the factory with a rear sway bar.

A rear sway bar or anything else could be had for a price. When special parts are ordered on police fleet contracts, the parts are sometimes outsourced, and sometimes dealer installed. I've been there, done that. Afterwards a customer orders with towing package or whatever, and also wants the special part he can get it, for a price. Bottom line... never say never.

This......

They were DEALER INSTALLED for customers who pulled small camper trailer, boats, or whatever. People in the rural Midwest used their cars for more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

RedFish is right. Back in those days, you could have whatever you wanted for a price or knowing the right people. If it couldn't be done at the factory level, a dealer would take care of it for you. Dennis

This......

They were DEALER INSTALLED for customers who pulled small camper trailer, boats, or whatever. People in the rural Midwest used their cars for more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

I don't show any in the parts manuals I have. Maybe it was like the aftermarket trailer hitches or aftermarket wheels. I know our dealers would install aftermarket goodies for the customer and add it to the sale price so it could be financed along with the car.

Sure, dealer-installed makes sense. But where did the dealer get it? I would guess, probably from Addco (assuming they were in business in 1966). Or J.C. Whitney.

-
Back