1966 valiant rear brake shoe removal?

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hey guys unsure if this goes here or somewhere else. Anyone know how to get the rear shoes off a 66 valiant with 9 inch drums? There is a part the spring that goes through the shoe and catches on a part in the backing plate. Don’t want to mess anything up so figured I’d ask others that have been here before. It’s definitely a different set up than my 75 dart.

DC02CDBF-CA1A-41E9-9B1B-C380D7385983.jpeg

3B0ABEF5-881D-46F4-8976-99884E8E78DA.jpeg

2E9FDF2D-484D-4501-8CE3-F9145760E585.jpeg

Hey guys unsure if this goes here or somewhere else. Anyone know how to get the rear shoes off a 66 valiant with 9 inch drums? There is a part the spring that goes through the shoe and catches on a part in the backing plate. Don’t want to mess anything up so figured I’d ask others that have been here before. It’s definitely a different set up than my 75 dart.

View attachment 1715818334

View attachment 1715818335

View attachment 1715818336
Not the top spring, the blurry one about mid way down the shoe in the back. The part itself is kinda Shiny

I added a pic link above.
Not hard once you figure it out .
An old screwdriver and a grinder will make a tool real quick .
Good luck .

Its been forever....dont you just push in the spring cup and turn the tang 90 so it slides out the slot? Should release the brakes from the backing plate.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.standardaxle.ca%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F12%2FK71-682-00.png

QUOTE="pishta, post: 1973667007, member: 383"]Its been forever....dont you just push in the spring cup and turn the tang 90 so it slides out the slot? Should release the brakes from the backing plate.
View attachment 1715818359[/QUOTE]
That's a later version .

Its been forever....dont you just push in the spring cup and turn the tang 90 so it slides out the slot? Should release the brakes from the backing plate.
View attachment 1715818359
Man how is wish it were this set up haha. The ones I have has a spring that’s pushed through the shoe and grabs ahold to a nub that gets pushed in through the backing plate. Definitely was surprised when I saw it haha.

65 parts manual shows these...? see 5-26-2?
View attachment 1715818369
Thanks for attaching that. I’ll be glad to get the shoes on (hopefully tomorrow).[/QUOTE]
You know what I watched a video earlier today and it was a 66 Belvedere I believe and it has the push ins like you are showing. Mine has springs that go through the shoes for some reason. Attached a better pic below.

AD15C373-B291-40B3-AAB0-5C47D068232C.jpeg

I've always just used a good big pair of pliers--slip joint--Grab the outer cup with the pliers so you can apply inward pressure, and reach around behind and hold the stud "out" against the backing plate. Plus in, give it a 1/4 turn in either direction and it should come right off

As old as "these girls are" you should replace those if you can get them...likely rusty and weakened.

I've always just used a good big pair of pliers--slip joint--Grab the outer cup with the pliers so you can apply inward pressure, and reach around behind and hold the stud "out" against the backing plate. Plus in, give it a 1/4 turn in either direction and it should come right off

As old as "these girls are" you should replace those if you can get them...likely rusty and weakened.
That’s the way I do it on my dart but these are designed different. It’s con-ish style spring the skinny side goes through the shoe and hooks to a stud that’s pushed through the backing plate. The kind you are talking about is a uniform spring with a cap on it and it’s pushed down onto a long skinny stud I believe.

Reading up on the breaks and there is a difference between 9 inch brakes and 10 inch brakes. 10 inch and up use the nail and retainer style and 9 inches uses a the spring and clip style. Weird they wouldn’t just use the same set up. Attached write up for anyone else that needs it.

Last edited:
According to this article written by @slantsixdan, you can upgrade the springs to the newer style,,,,,,
9 inch drums, A body only
If you insist on running 9 inch drums here the ticket for optimizing them as told by Slant Six Dan

Ah, yes, the joys of the A-body single-master-cylinder 9" drum brake system. NOT! First off--asbestos does NOT CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS!!! It can cause Asbestosis, a form of lung cancer, but it's turning out that you need heavy and/or long-term exposure to it to have a major risk increase. Also, although you really don't want to breathe the dust if avoidable, the dust is NOT THE SAME as asbestos fibres. The fibres have been ground up into dust. Since the nasty aspect of asbestos fibres is that they are hook-shaped (like the burrs your dog brings in from the fields) and thus they catch on your lung tissue. The dust doesn't do this. So quit worrying so much. Now then, your brakes. I have enough experience with the early 9" system to know that halfway measures are rarely satisfactory--do the whole job, and do a first-class job, and you will be rewarded by NOT having to shop for a front clip whilst your face is still bandaged up!!! First off: replace the master cylinder or send it to a place like White Post restorations to be sleeved. Or, here's a better option. Replace it with the '67 and later dual master cylinder. This isn't that hard, and I have a photo article from the Slant-6 news telling how. I'd be glad to mail you a photocopy. (Coincidentally, this is the same issue that features the Canadian Valiants.) Moving on down the line, your wheel cylinders are probably rotted. Replace them. (If they aren't that bad, you can rebuild them, but the replacements aren't all that much--I think I paid $28 for a set of two front ones at NAPA. Lifetime guarantee :)) Next, replace the shoes. Use Raybestos shoes, they're the best. Now, here's the tricky part. Replace all the hardware. You will be changing from the godawful '62-'68 self adjustor to the reliable (if more complex) '69 and later style. Go to a MoPar dealer and get the brake hardware kits for an '86-'87 Dodge Dakota pickup with 9" rear drums. All the springs, cable, etc. will fit the "A" brakes. And the springs are all heavy duty, with a great 3rd generation shoe hold-down which WON'T stretch and distort like the others. You'll need to separately order four of the thin coiled springs that go directly above the adjustor star-wheel in that Dakota pickup, too. (Sorry, I don't have Part Numbers.) Next, go to a parts store, (NAPA, CarQuest, etc. etc.) and buy self-adjustor kits for a '69-'73 Dart with 9" drums. You'll need two left and two right kits. Check the drums carefully. If they're scored, etc. have them turned on a lathe, but make certain the lathe operator runs the cutter feed SLOWLY so as not to leave spiral marks. (Check to ensure the drums are still within acceptable size range before you turn them. 9.060 is the max on all rear drums and front drums up to '69. '70 and later got much better, heavy, FINNED front drums which can go up to 9.090 and will swap right on to the early brakes for added heat resistance.) The only thing to watch for on the finned drums is that if you get them off a '70, you'll keep your left-side=left-hand-thread, while '71 and later will have RH thread on the LH and RH front drums. No biggie. Make sure and use a little brake grease (LubriPlate sells it) on the backing plates where the shoes contact.) I don't advise using silicone (DoT 5) type fluid--it's compressible (no flames please) because it traps air readily. Do use a premium quality DoT 4 fluid (I don't know if you have the same rating system up there in Canada.) such as Castrol LMA formula. Sounds like you have a whole winter season in which to do this work. Putting the adjustors together is kind of a pain, but these '69 and later adjustors are GREAT!!! you set them once and forget them, they won't over adjust or rust-up like the early ones. This applies to all of you with 10" and 11" drums too. Get the '69 and later adjustors when you build the brakes. A Haynes manual for the '67-'76 Dart/Valiant will help with the adjustor assembly work. My brakes were much much much better on my '65 Canadian Valiant. Which must be why I recently went to power discs up front. . .SCREEEEEEEE! (Actually, it was because I had swapped in an 8 3/4 w/ 10" drums, and w/ the 9"s in front, the back end would swing around if prodded hard. My mother is now using that car as a daily driver while I'm in school pedaling my 3-speed Raleigh, and I kinda wanted to keep her AND my car safe in Colorado's slippery winter roads. When I get the car back--OUT GOES THAT ^&*(%^&*$ POWER BOOSTER!!!!!!!! SL6

Last edited:
I get all the other springs off and pull the shoe away from the backing plate enough to reach behind the shoe and unhook the spring. Nothin to it.

I was able to figure it out finally. Got the rear and front done and took a lot of pics and vids. Now that I’ve done it it is pretty easy.
You can actually replace the old spring retainers with the newer spring and cup retainers if you want. I still have the original ones on Vixen, because they never bothered me. They work fine.

You can actually replace the old spring retainers with the newer spring and cup retainers if you want. I still have the original ones on Vixen, because they never bothered me. They work fine.
Yeah I replaced all the hardware and ran new lines, wheel cylinders, hubs, and updated the master cylinder. It’s should stop now haha. Need to by pass the heater core for now and take it to the dmv so they can see it run and issue a title. My uncle never titled it in ga so sc is giving me a hard time.

Yeah I replaced all the hardware and ran new lines, wheel cylinders, hubs, and updated the master cylinder. It’s should stop now haha. Need to by pass the heater core for now and take it to the dmv so they can see it run and issue a title. My uncle never titled it in ga so sc is giving me a hard time.
I hope Sc isn't like Ga. In Georgia, if a car is ever registered without a title, it can never get one again, period, end of story. I've had people tell me "oh no I can get one" only later to come back and tell me I was right. So far, I've not see someone break that curse.

I hope Sc isn't like Ga. In Georgia, if a car is ever registered without a title, it can never get one again, period, end of story. I've had people tell me "oh no I can get one" only later to come back and tell me I was right. So far, I've not see someone break that curse.
That makes two of us. According the dmv I have to take photos of the car, fill out a form and mail it in and I have to take the car to the dmv and drive it in the parking lot to show it works, then wait 8 weeks and if everything checks out then they will issue me a title. But the dmv has been known to have ppl there that don’t know what they are doing haha. Hopefully I can get one, that’s the biggest reason I haven’t sunk a lot of time and money into it yet.

That makes two of us. According the dmv I have to take photos of the car, fill out a form and mail it in and I have to take the car to the dmv and drive it in the parking lot to show it works, then wait 8 weeks and if everything checks out then they will issue me a title. But the dmv has been known to have ppl there that don’t know what they are doing haha. Hopefully I can get one, that’s the biggest reason I haven’t sunk a lot of time and money into it yet.
That's unfortunately very true. States routinely set quotas on sex and race for hires, rather than having quotas on actual intelligence and qualifications. It's a sad reality.

I was able to figure it out finally. Got the rear and front done and took a lot of pics and vids. Now that I’ve done it it is pretty easy.
Good deal! Yeah it's not bad at all, really.

-
Back