1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
Sorry guys. Decided to swap to a roller motor. Got all the stuff from Hughes engines. Still need to clearance the pushrod holes for the taller hydraulic roller litters and 1.6 rockers. The previous camshaft was built more for the strip. Not my intentions. The new roller cam should be great. I hear lots of good things from Hughes/Bullet roller Mopar cam. I'll update once I button up the motor.

Happy Turkey Day

Dave

I just got done reading this thread from start to finish (I started three days ago...) and it is amazing how things have come back better then ever after a major setback like the infamous paint peeling incident of 2008. I am betting the "pride value" is higher then it would have if the paint had stuck.

I really like the Duster hood hinges. Do you have pictures showing how you did that? My torsion bar support is rotted out on my 66 Valiant Convert and figure this may be a sweet way to eliminate that section.

Dave

I just got done reading this thread from start to finish (I started three days ago...) and it is amazing how things have come back better then ever after a major setback like the infamous paint peeling incident of 2008. I am betting the "pride value" is higher then it would have if the paint had stuck.

I really like the Duster hood hinges. Do you have pictures showing how you did that? My torsion bar support is rotted out on my 66 Valiant Convert and figure this may be a sweet way to eliminate that section.

Thanks Stappy. Yeah it has been a great experience doing all the work myself. It has been a true test of perserverance. The hood hinge idea is just another example of the many great ideas that can be found on FABO. So, I end up changing things here and there.

I believe I did a short little thread on the torsion spring removal a while back. I used my Valiant parts car to practice on first. I've been really impressed with how great this turned out. The hood opens and closes smooth as butter.

I'll check for that thread.

Stappy just do a search for "hood torsion spring removal"

The thread is old and the pictures from shutterfly.com were reduced. I may have to revamp this thread with new pictures and what I did differently. You should get the idea though.

I saw the pics were tiny and was wondering how people could see a blame thing on them ;-)
I am looking forward to seeing it altogether (I was thinking of saying "finished but are they ever really done?).

Hey Dave, where are you, Any news on this project?

Sorry for the absence guys but sometimes life gets in the way. I ported out most of the pushrod holes for the 1.6 rockers and roller lifters except 4. I realized that I really didn't want to disassemble and reassemble the springs myself. Better to have a professional recheck the heads, correct valve height, spring pressures, flows etc etc etc before bolting them back on. Thanks to Rob aka "crackedback" I sent my J-heads over to Brian (OU812) at IMM engines to do some clean up work. I'll know more this Monday as to what really "needs" to be done to the heads and what could be done to improve these heads. Either way, I trust Brian will do awesome work.

Once, I get the heads back I'll be back on track with the Valiant

i just read through this tread and i have to say i dont know were the miror stops and the car starts (the paint looks amazing):cheers: hope my paint turns out half as nice as yours:toothy10:

i just read through this tread and i have to say i dont know were the miror stops and the car starts (the paint looks amazing):cheers: hope my paint turns out half as nice as yours:toothy10:

Thank you sir for the kind words

Spoke with Brian today. Heads will be bolt-on ready next week. :)

Finally got some work done yesterday. Got the heads back from Brian at IMM engine and they were ready to go. Painted the heads and got them torqued down. Spent a couple hours port matching the RPM performer intake manifold. The intake was silver but have decided to paint it the same color as the rest of the motor. Bit more of an original look.
I'm hoping to get it running after the weekend if I can get away from the future wifey. I told her it was my goal to have the car done before our wedding in September.

Next up will be a video of the new hydraulic roller 340!!! :)

About time you got some work done......lol

Dave!! I can't believe that it will be finally finished! Post a pic of the outside, engine, inside, etc.....

Yeah me too Steve. It's going to be so nice to have it finished. After all these years it will be worth the wait. Long time. How have you been Steve?

Glad to hear you're still making progress! I really admire your perseverence on this project. It's been a long haul.

Can't wait to see the vid with the new cam. When you post the vid, can you also post the cam specs?

Pretty good, Dave. Just workin away.....

Get us some recent pics, finished or not! I bet you can't wait to feel that hydroboost....LOL.

Been too busy cruising with the Valiant to post up some pics? :burnout:

Dave! After reading your thread I must admit that you have done a great job. All the work that you have put in it, all the countless hours you have put in your car just to figure out how to do it. Amazing! Your craftmanship is outstanding. Good luck with your car.

Hello guys it's been a looooooong time since posting and/or lurking for that matter on FABO. Happy to announce I'm getting the a-body bug back after a number of years being away. Marriage, new house, new garage built, guest house built, garage apartment built and to top it off identical TWIN boys who will be 3 in July. I'm finally getting to a point where I can start working on my cars again.

The kick-starter was I worked out a deal with my good buddy JohnnyDart for a 340 engine and tranny to go in my 68 Dart. Plus I just ordered a HD-9 Bend-Pak lift today for my dream garage. Get's installed Wednesday. Once the lift is in and I get a little extra time, my 68 dart with get a new heart and the convertible will finally get on the road. Hopefully, I haven't forgotten too much over the years.

Look future posts in the near future. Sorry for the broken picture links. Hopefully I can restore those.

Dave

-
Back