1967 barracuda formula s info

-
Looks like it had rocker mldngs also. Should have an anti sway bar or at least a K member and control arms to accommodate one.

with a 4 speed and a dana rear end and a HEMI for power, it should be able to pull any small trailer a newer pickup could :D

should be able to pull a BIG trailer with that stuff,, I used to pull a smallish house trailer to the Mosport races in the 80's with the 340 auto Cuda,, but I promised her if she treated me right. I'll leave the towing to my Ram now. send pics of your wagon with trailer in tow, should be cool.

back to the 67 barracuda

I tired to decode the fender tag on my mopar-- & it would not let me adjust the #'s to the correct spacing --can anyone assist?
sorry I did not go help get the car-- so owner is not good with cleaning up fender tag info

Attachments

• IMG_20160320_1757124791.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 105
That tag codes out to one beauty of a car! That is exactly what I have been looking for - a 273HP 4-speed Formula S fastback Barracuda! Nice catch!

Bottom row from the left:

BH29: Barracuda fastback (obviously)

32: The "E-code" 273 4-bbl HP motor

3: 4-speed trans

285: the tire code, I didn't try and decipher it, but being a Formula S it has to be "red-stripe" wide oval tires.

125: Build date of Jan 25 1967

02426: the VON or vehicle order number

Mixed character row:

A4: 3:23 rear axle

H6X: black vinyl bucket seats

PP1: Bright Red paint

UB: black upper interior door color

ABC row:

D9: disc brakes

F7: Formula S package

R1: AM radio

T7: tachometer

X2: tinted windshield

abc row:

a6: center console

b4: bucket seats

j4: thin body sill mouldings

not mine --co worker found it in the middle of Kansas, he wants to re live his high school barracuda days, I'm just trying to give him some knowledge on the ride & maybe direct his build a bit. I've already suggested he offer it for sale/trade for a non-original car that runs drives. he is looking for a cruiser to have fun with, smoke the tires & such.

he towed it home today & I'll talk to him Tuesday at work .

BTW Thanks for the decode!! I'm printing that off now !!!

67 formula S notch w/ hp273 is a nice find. Cost to restore it will be about the same as any. If done right, the resale value will be more.

Reviving a thread, what is needed to put a later 318 in this 67 273 4 speed car? Also he needs a back glass & good windshield close to Wichita Kansas , what are the issues since his is a 67? Thanks

BA7A8B3A-4339-484E-BDDB-8C9F04C4A61F.jpeg

Reviving a thread, what is needed to put a later 318 in this 67 273 4 speed car? Also he needs a back glass & good windshield close to Wichita Kansas , what are the issues since his is a 67? Thanks

View attachment 1715658745

just change over the 67 timing chain cover and water pump from the 273 to the 318... Everything else will bolt in, same motor mounts... Use the 67 exhaust manifolds...

Also keep in mind about the 67 1 year only mylar lockstrip and 1 year only 67 ws gaskets . He should plan that now. Going stainless steel(68/9) ws trim requires a 68/9 gasket and trim clips.

Last edited:
You are going to need a 318. Okay ha ha. Something to ponder is the crankshaft and the pilot bushing for the four speed.

Why stop at 318? I got a nice 367 recipe, that will make it a heckuva brawler.....

A later 318 will be slower. No compression. Is the Commando 273 shot?

He can put the 67 273 heads on the newer 318 to increase the compression... The 67 273 heads are closed chamber and also have the standard intake bolt pattern...

Put the 67 273 heads on it with the fel pro .040" head gaskets and the compression will be better than the stock 318...

I put a set of 920 heads on a 72 318 and had them ported, 1.88" intakes, 1.60" exhaust valves and hardened seats...

the whole point is to make the 67 a tire burner when wanted--the 273 is not that, looking for cost effective ways , it doesn't have to be a 12 second 1/4 miler just a tire roaster-- he has found a cheap 318, 360's are hard to find ,any of you have one in Kansas? I do not know what his budget is but he wants a fun driver. he let me drive it & it was fun , decent power but it would be nice to roast the tires once in a while!!

Yep, better check that 318 for a pilot bushing, and if it doesn’t have one, make sure the hole is reamed for one, as is drilled deep enough for one. You can always turn down the outside of the bushing to make it fit in an unreamed hole

the whole point is to make the 67 a tire burner when wanted--the 273 is not that, looking for cost effective ways , it doesn't have to be a 12 second 1/4 miler just a tire roaster-- he has found a cheap 318, 360's are hard to find ,any of you have one in Kansas? I do not know what his budget is but he wants a fun driver. he let me drive it & it was fun , decent power but it would be nice to roast the tires once in a while!!

Gears are easier than an engine swap. Later 318 are very low performance engines. You are going from a 273 with over 200 hp to a 318 that might be 150 hp. Good luck.

The "S" was a package option. I think you could make an S without having to buy the "S" option just by picking parts options. The 1st gen S had a tach. That was about it for a "check if its real" test. Other than that, all other parts could be ordered up. On a 67 it may have an 032 (273-4) or a 367 (Formula code) on the fender tag. I think there may be something under the C too. possibly a 150 speedo.

2nd Gen also had a tach, console mounted

I wonder if you could "deselect" from the package. I once read that the formula S package came with rocker mouldings but some one here said I was wrong.

If I recall, the formula S had a "trim" option. Maybe thats my hang-up on the rocker covers

There is an add for a 65 "S" somewhere that has all the 'S' options laid out...springs, tach, silver air cleaner, finned valve covers...including the unique routed out trunk divider for the wider blue streak spare. No trim sans the "S" badge that I recall.
<< just read title, 67.....disregard the 65 stuff. >>>>>

Last edited:
-
Back