1967 Cuda FB project

-
Nice work.
I had to do a similar repair on my back window channel. That new shrinker/stretcher tool I got came in handy when making those window channels at the corners.

Nice work.
I had to do a similar repair on my back window channel. That new shrinker/stretcher tool I got came in handy when making those window channels at the corners.

Awesome tool! Can't do restoration work without one! One of the many tools that makes this hobby fun.:cheers:

Went out this morning and decided to spin the car around to get better light for the pass side rail move. (Kinda dark in the corner) So it was a good time to clean the area up! Had quite the pile of debris.
View attachment WP_20141124_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20141124_002.jpg
Started to remove some of the UC on pass side.
View attachment WP_20141124_004.jpg
This view shows how much I moved the rail over in comparison to the one still in factory location.
View attachment WP_20141124_006.jpg

This morning I finished up removing UC from the pass side wheel wells. The wells were basically the only place there was any. A little overspray here and there, but that was it.
Pile of crap!!!
View attachment WP_20141125_004.jpg
Cleaned up wells.
View attachment WP_20141125_002.jpg
View attachment WP_20141125_003.jpg
So I started spot weld removal, didn't get very far and it was "work" time. I get the "evil eye" from the wife if I tinker with the Cuda during business hours....:protest:

Tonite, I started taking steering column apart to remove shift handle and fill holes. I blasted some parts in the blast cabinet so I can powder coat them. I will have pics later.

Well, tonite I had an idea. :violent1: I wondered if I could tig the holes for the shifter and gear window on my column......... Welding pot metal aluminum SUCKS! I got it pretty good but still needs some finishing filler.
View attachment WP_20141125_005.jpg
View attachment WP_20141125_008.jpg
View attachment WP_20141125_009.jpg
And here's the rest of the column parts after blasting them.

Then got a call from a fellow member here and BS'ed an hour away. lol

Got some more spot welds for the pass frame rail also.

More in the morning!:cheers:

Attachments

• WP_20141125_007.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 435
Drilled out some more spot welds this morning on the pass side frame rail. Post pics later.
Hope to get the frame rail moved in the next couple days. Then I can replace trunk floor!!!:blob::cheers:

Here I am removing the dreaded spot welds. Sheesh, did there have to be soooo many!!!!
Only a few left and rail is off. Maybe happen tonite yet!!:blob:
View attachment WP_20141126_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20141126_002.jpg

Then I played with my dash mod. Converting a 73 Charger dash to fit my 67 Cuda.
Cut out a section of the plastic AC vent area and trimmed my "Barracuda" emblem from the 67 glove box door and made it fit the hole in the 73 section.
View attachment WP_20141126_003.jpg

Also made a "plug" for the left over 3rd vent that isn't there any more. It will get sanded down and primed, finish putty, then body color to offset the black dash / interior.
View attachment WP_20141126_005.jpg

More after supper!!

So SNKEBIT, are you using those spot weld drill bits to get rid of the old welds? I went through a bunch of them when I did the Charger and hated them. I tried a couple of different brands. Sometimes they'd snap off on me on the first weld. I always hoped there was a better solution.

So much of my flooring was rusted away that I skimmed some panels off with a torch instead. - But in the areas that had solid sheet metal the surfaces were so far from flat that the bits would want to wander or they would catch unevenly and break a few teeth off.

So SNKEBIT, are you using those spot weld drill bits to get rid of the old welds? I went through a bunch of them when I did the Charger and hated them. I tried a couple of different brands. Sometimes they'd snap off on me on the first weld. I always hoped there was a better solution.

So much of my flooring was rusted away that I skimmed some panels off with a torch instead. - But in the areas that had solid sheet metal the surfaces were so far from flat that the bits would want to wander or they would catch unevenly and break a few teeth off.

We have a kit from snap on. Basically a blair kit. They work pretty good and a lot better than the "generic" spot weld cutters that most places sell. The trick is to drill a pilot divot or hole for the pin to stay in. Then it goes pretty decent.

Got he frame rail off this morning. Guess what??? Another freekin mouse house!!!
View attachment WP_20141127_001.jpg
Pretty clean inside, except for the mouse house!
View attachment WP_20141127_002.jpg
All cleaned up and bare inside treated with rust kill.
Floor where rail was.
View attachment WP_20141127_003.jpg
Here is an area that prompts a judgement call. These raised ribs were not on the other side, the floor was smooth. Does one pound them flat or cut them out and replace with a flat piece of metal???
View attachment WP_20141127_005.jpg
Here is rail test fitting. I will draw a line where the rail sits and decide what to do with the floor ribs.
View attachment WP_20141127_006.jpg

Back to the Cuda!!!:cheers:

- Hope you took a turkey break.

Not really. It was a good day of nothing. Wife went to her Dad's for turkey. (He and I got off on the wrong foot and have never been remotely close.) So, I got a free day.
Making baked pork chops and spuds. Gonna be a good meal!!!!:blob:

Not really. It was a good day of nothing. Wife went to her Dad's for turkey. (He and I got off on the wrong foot and have never been remotely close.) So, I got a free day.
Making baked pork chops and spuds. Gonna be a good meal!!!!:blob:
Not much different here. Teresa went to see her kids for the day. Just me and the cats hanging out. We'll celebrate this weekend. - Nice progress on the car by the way.

-
Back