1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
I sent a stock Barracuda 120mph gauge cluster with the center gauge blank to Redline Gauge Works.

What they did:
Converted the speedometer to 150mph using factory style stencil
Put a SW tachometer inside the blank, stenciled the range and redline per my preference with stock style lettering
Replaced the fuel gauge with a 0-90ohm unit to work with my fuel tank
Converted the anmeter to a voltmeter (left the face the same)
Converted IVR to solid state
Calibrated all gauges
All new bulbs / holders
Cleaned, painted, detailed

Attachments

• Speedometer.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Tachometer.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,559
  • Gauges.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,541
Looks great! Question though....I've been thinking bout this for a while...the speedo, converted from 120 to 150, how does it stay accurate for 150??

This is the cluster I sent them:

Attachments

• Gauges.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,559
That buffed out nice! One of these days I need to send them something to work on...

Clair

Looks great! Question though....I've been thinking bout this for a while...the speedo, converted from 120 to 150, how does it stay accurate for 150??

"Velocimeter" - sounds so much cooler. Why did they change it?

They use an electromagnet to adjust the field strength of the magnet inside the housing to display the proper range.

Read the section titled "Eddy Current": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

"Velocimeter" - sounds so much cooler. Why did they change it?

They use an electromagnet to adjust the field strength of the magnet inside the housing to display the proper range.

Read the section titled "Eddy Current": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

Velocimeter does sound much cooler! So Redline Gauge Works changed the magnet in it then??

Velocimeter does sound much cooler! So Redline Gauge Works changed the magnet in it then??

They "adjusted" the field strength of the existing magnet thus calibrating it to read correctly with the 150mph face.

Gotcha...what about prices??

All in w/ a new speedo cable was about 1k. Pricey, but compared to new gauges and a custom dash it may be cheaper this way. Conceptually I wanted functional gauges, etc. but with a stock look. I also went through two Autometer 5" speedometers in the period of about ten years in an Aluminum dash I fabricated in 1991. I have never had an issue with the stock stuff, so I finally decided to go this route. The effect I want when the car is done is for someone looking at it from the outside or the passenger seat not to know that the car is much more than stock.

If you want I can PM you w/ line item details on the cost.

Mike that gauge cluster turned out great. So the bezel was a reproduction? Over all is the quality nice?

very nice....especially when you poses a rallye dash....I really like your redone factory look with the 150 speedo and tach vs the custome "race guage"look for most builds...but that's just me

Well done!....I do the same in a heartbeat (no reference to a cheby intended)

Mike that gauge cluster turned out great. So the bezel was a reproduction? Over all is the quality nice?

The bezel is very nice. I noticed a few differences on the backside from the factory, nothing I would be worried about.

Nice build man. I am in Saginaw and building a 69, I will pm you my #.

I have always liked your car!!!! Saw a picture of it years ago on a website you had.... I wish I could get my 69 notch to sit like that!!!!!

All in w/ a new speedo cable was about 1k. Pricey, but compared to new gauges and a custom dash it may be cheaper this way. Conceptually I wanted functional gauges, etc. but with a stock look. I also went through two Autometer 5" speedometers in the period of about ten years in an Aluminum dash I fabricated in 1991. I have never had an issue with the stock stuff, so I finally decided to go this route. The effect I want when the car is done is for someone looking at it from the outside or the passenger seat not to know that the car is much more than stock.

If you want I can PM you w/ line item details on the cost.

COuld you PM the Cost break down if you still have it or recall it? Thanks!

COuld you PM the Cost break down if you still have it or recall it? Thanks!

Repair speedo, reface w/ 150mph stencil, recalibrate: $180
Convert Blank to 8,000 rpm tach: $225
Convert Amp Gauge to Voltmeter: $160
Convert Fuel Gauge to modern internal & 0-90 Ohms: $160
Voltage Stabilizer Conversion: $65
Detail Cluster: $150
Bulbs: $1
Bulb Sockets: $2
New cable w/ vinyl coated steel housing: $50
Calibrate gauges: $35

Looks great. New stance is killer. How much does it vary from full to empty with that big @$$ fuel cell? :burnout:

Looks great. New stance is killer. How much does it vary from full to empty with that big @$$ fuel cell? :burnout:

I would actually have to fill it first. Still need to weld in some trunk floor pieces, run fuel line, wire the pump. Have a few things up front to finish first.

Wow, great car! Be sure to post pictures after the paint job. Back in '80-'81 there was a '68 AMX that was the dark green you're describing by Vines high school in Plano. Man i loved that car AND the color! I also bought my six pack carbs and a Sig Erson cam (it was cheap and I was a teenager) at Super Shops. Your post brought back fond memories! I'm glad to see someone in the neighborhood that's also been chasing the dream since the 80's!

Today I pulled the engine, transmission, front suspension and front brakes from the Barracuda. As an assembly. I did not use an engine hoist. My ten year old boy helped and did some of the wrenching.

Attachments

• DSC00908.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,199
Awesome! I've done that with a small block, but not a big block... Yowza!

Man, I really need to get my old girl going again. One of these days, we'll have to get them all in a place again - in running condition!

Clair

-
Back