1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
About 2 hours of work today... took my 10 year old boy down to Arlington this morning and watched all the cars leave for the first leg of the Hot Rod Power Tour. We did not get to go yesterday. I did not notice any '67-'69 or '64-'66 A bodies. We did not see all the cars though. I saw a few '70 and newer Dusters and Darts, some E-bodies, some B bodies and an old convertible 300.

Finished the engine harness removal, the front light harness removal, pulled the headlamps and grill assemblies.

Still to go:
Remove bumpers.
Remove remainder of exterior trim.
Remove remainder of wiring.
Remove brake lines, master cylinder, wiper motor.
Remove the brake pedal assembly.
Pull all the body plugs.
Scrape up seam sealer (fun, fun, and more fun)

A few hours this afternoon in the car... I removed the master cylinder, wiper motor, wiper linkage and pivots. I scraped most of the seam sealer in the passenger compartment and cleaned up the window goo that was in the channel at the base of the windshield.

I need to make an organized list of all the actions that will need to be completed and parts needed so I can work the list while the sheet metal is being cared for and painted.

Still to go:
Remove bumpers.
Remove remainder of exterior trim.
Remove remainder of wiring.
Remove brake lines.
Remove the brake pedal assembly.
Pull all the body plugs.
Scrape up trunk seam sealer.

Attachments

• DSC01805.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,279
Looking good Michael. Josh is on me to get back to mine. Just need to find the time between everything else. I think i am going to need a weekend just to unearth it from all the stuff in the garage.

Now this is interesting. Ever see anything quite like it?

Attachments

• left side2 small.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,224
Not exactly, but close.... I think I'm gonna need to talk with you about some stuff soon...

Clair

A few hours this evening in the car...

Wiring is all disconnected. Brake pedal assembly, accelerator pedal, e-brake assembly, and all the random little things bolted to the firewall are now out. Removed the tail light assemblies, rear lighting harness, deck lid trim, trunk lock, the badges, and the used car dealer placard.

I spent some time at the body shop Friday afternoon discussing what work will be done. Spent some time last week taking pictures and making notes for the body guy. My car is next in line to go in. Small shop, only has room for three big projects at one time. Shop owner is a Mopar guy and has a pair of B-bodies he is working on at home for himself. The #2 car in the shop right now is a '67 GTX which has been completely stripped and is on the rotisserie. I get the feeling that car #3 is a filler that a friend of his owns. It is an Alfa that needs a lot of work and I think the guy that owns it only wants the shop to do the rust repair and a few minor things, no paint. The car that is about ready for paint is an El Camino and the guy is trying to do a "perfect" job on a budget and is taking short cuts. He also keeps making changes to what he wants done. In other words he is doing it the long and expensive way... I think the shop owner is going to put the pressure on him to make his final decisions now that he has the GTX in and my car waiting.

I ordered my stripes and the rear deck lid reflective decal Thursday.

My intake shipped Friday, I'll take some pictures when it arrives.

Still to go:
Remove bumpers.
Remove wheel well trim.
Remove brake lines.
Pull all the body plugs.

looks like a rossi six pack with injection instead of carbs.nice ride btw

looks like a rossi six pack with injection instead of carbs.nice ride btw

Thanks.

Yep. Sold thru Chrysler as PN # P3690982, made by Weiand. I read somewhere that Paul Rossi had something to do with them making this intake.

Two more pictures of the new intake. Waiting patiently for it to arrive.

Attachments

• weiand angle shot1 - small.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,187
  • weiand with air cleaner - small.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,198
During ergonomic testing about 10 years ago on my job my grip was tested at 160lbs squeeze with either hand. Most people working there tested about half that with the dominant hand being a little stronger. [/QUOTE]

Too much wackin off...:D

:wack:

Mike, I just saw this thread, I'm glad your getting her done. Although I'm afraid it won't be as much fun driving it like you stole it with a new paint job. At least thats the way I feel.
I got my 5.7 running Tue night, finally, not running smooth, but at least its making noise, quite a bit actually, need the exhaust now. That intake looks killer, that thing is going to be sweet. I really like the rake now with the mono-leafs. Very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20120614_232322 small.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,081
Cypress? I can't keep track of where you live. I didn't know you were back in Texas.

Had to see what it looked like compared to the Edelbrock RPM!

The difference in runner volume is ridiculous!

Attachments

• Runner Volume.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Compare-2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,071
  • Front.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,069
Another pic... in focus. Going to need a bigger hood...

Attachments

• BOG.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,140
I can surely relate to THAT! 22 years and counting for me ... and no end in sight. :-D You're doing it right though Michael -- keep it up.

Keep up the good work. I had been moving strong, but this heat is making me a sissy.

Went to the Dallas Mopar Club mini Nats in Garland, TX yesterday with my son Alec. Some really nice cars there. Crowd was about the same size it has been most years I have been.

Did a few hours last weekend and a few this evening... still too damn hot. It was 103 today, I started working in the garage about 7:15pm and stopped at 10.

Made a dolly for the front end last week. Drilled two holes to a piece of 2" U-channel to bolt it across where the k-frame used to mount. Cut 4 pieces of 1" box tube and drilled holes through them to mount a set of casters. Car can now be rolled around with the rear wheels on skates.

Removed the license plates, license plate bracket on the front, the bumpers, shifter, fuel lines, brake lines, e-brake cable, filler neck, and most of the body plugs.

Not much left.

Still to go:

Remove wheel well trim.

Here are recent pictures of the car...

Attachments

• DSC02000.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 969
  • DSC01998s.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 930
Coming along nicely Michael! It doesn't look like it's needed a lot of bodywork.

Have not done any yet... not my thing either. Welding, maybe, but would need to buy hardware and find the time. I have done some stick, some MIG, and took a course in TIG about 8 years ago.

Did a few hours work this past Wednesday and few more this afternoon.

Removed the headlight buckets from the front fenders.
Removed the hood.
Removed all the wheel well trim.
Scraped up the seam sealer in the trunk and the remainder on the floorboard on the passenger side.

Only thing still attached to the body is the front fenders.

Loaded the extra front inner fenders, the "spare" used quarter panel I got from Carl in St Louis a few years ago, the new sub frame connectors and a few other odds and ends.

Called the body shop yesterday. Car will be picked up this coming Tuesday after lunch.

What shop did you choose - the one by me? Would love to have a datapoint on a decent local shop...

Clair

http://rodscarcraft.com/

Clair - Apparently quite a few of the local Chevy guys take their cars there for the full pro tour treatment. Corvette front suspension, DSE 4 link, 5 or 6 speed transmissions, etcetera. A guy who had his '67 Camaro done there recommended him to me.

I have known Rodney for a few years, did not know his shop did body and paint until a week ago. He has a private shop on the property about 100 yards from the business where he and some of the local Mopar guys hang out on Thursday nights. I have been there a few times, never been in the shop before.

All outside work and parts you pay the amount he paid w/ no mark up, he just puts the receipt in your folder for you. You pay for the labor and he tracks that by day in the folder as well. No hidden charges or funny business. No quotes, for better or worse, you just pay for the time and materials. The only complaint I have heard was from someone who spent more than they expected to. That really doesn't surprise me. The guy with the Camaro is really happy with the work that was done and had no complaints about time or billing. Timeline is really up to you. One '68 Camaro Convertible I saw there had been there a year and was ready for final primer and will be doing paint soon. The car had about 7 weeks of labor done over the past year as the owner was able to pay. Rodney showed me the timeline and all the billing. Probably one of the most straightforward shops I have talked to. Guess we will see soon.

I will update w/ photos and reports along the way. There are two cars in front of me, but, if they stop or finish, then my car gets worked on, so it may move ahead in queue as the others wait for parts or money.

-
Back