1968 Dart question....

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys,
I got a real crazy question. First off a bit of info on the starting of....

As a few know, my Dad passed away alittle over 2 weeks ago.....Well to my digging around his shop (Small engine repair) I found some paper work on a 1968 Dodge Dart he owned, and traded off.

Upon finding this paper work, I found the guy he traded it too, and for what he got for it.. (as crazy as this is, I could **** cinder blocks *OUCH*) He traded this car, he had, that was a turn key, jump in fire her up and down the road you go. car, for. getthis a damned farm tractor! A old 1942 Farmall "H"..........turns out, this tractor sits buried in a garage of my Dads (or well was my Dads, that he rented!) and hasn't run since the trade!

The owner of the now Dart car has been contacted and spoken too by me and my Step-Mom as this tractor and car was traded back just before snow fell this past winter. With the paperwork I found the owner of the tractor (now the Dart was to be a RUNNING Farmall "H". It was noted as a "Hauled in trade" with pictures there of it coming to the garage it was found sitting in, buried.

The question is, The Dart. It was a turn key EVERY DAY runner, but, it had whats said a 318.....LA type motor. IS this a factory install or was the Dart not offered with such?

I ask as my Step-Mom and I have been talking about this odd trade that well she told me he (my Dad) should have been slapped for such a trade but...... that was my Dad, and I know and she does too, that's just how he was......

I'm trying to see about making this trade right, or giving back the POS Farmall, to get the Dart back......(I'd take it as a "project car") and to see what it might need as from what I have read this car was in good shape and was inspected last of 2012!!!!!!

One picture actually does exist, its a 4 door model, and is dark green FACTORY paint, and all the Chrome intact, and looks to be a pretty clean car otherwise, except for the interior, no shots of what that may look like exist.

Any help on what the motor could have been in this car if not the 318? And if not, what all motors were offered factory? I'm not 100% knowledgeable on this one.....

Thanks guys!

In your post you say both 68 and 69. Either came with a 318LA. Was that your question?

No A body Dart every came with a poly, they were all LA

The cars "we" think of as Darts on here, the "A" bodies, 273, 318/ 340 /360, are all LA or Magnums, not "Poly"

Only the earlier "big" Darts came with the poly, "these" things:

1960-1961-dodge-dart-2.jpg

Look this is just my opinion but REALLY! Your going to try and unwind a trade your dad did before he died! Why? The tractor might be worth more than the car running or not. I just don't understand this thinking, I'll stop before saying something stupid. :banghead:

They are cool tractors!

Attachments

• PER-Finished-H4.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 443
In your post you say both 68 and 69. Either came with a 318LA. Was that your question?

No A body Dart every came with a poly, they were all LA

The cars "we" think of as Darts on here, the "A" bodies, 273, 318/ 340 /360, are all LA or Magnums, not "Poly"

Only the earlier "big" Darts came with the poly, "these" things:

1960-1961-dodge-dart-2.jpg

I'm sorry yes, its a 1968 not a 69. that's a typo by me....

I know this car did NOT have a Poly in it, the motor states in the paperwork to be an LA model 318...... I asked the question on the 318 to see if that could as well be the factory original motor.. when I see the car, if I can, I plan to get a block number if at all possible as I do want to get this car back, the damned Farmall is useless as it needs serious and I do mean serious work. I have no idea what my Dad was thinking, (HE may have known someone with parts, but hes gone now and I can only take a wild guess as to why he'd trade that car on the tractor.....

Look this is just my opinion but REALLY! Your going to try and unwind a trade your dad did before he died! Why? The tractor might be worth more than the car running or not. I just don't understand this thinking, I'll stop before saying something stupid. :banghead:

They are cool tractors!

They sure were if complete in having all there parts to be assembled but this tractor is not!

The motor is locked up (starting crank won't even spin it, with the battery cables removed, and the pressure released off the cylinders.) Notto mention 3 flat tires that rolled off a trailer and slide as they are right now when it was delivered.

A lot of small missing parts not to be found anywhere....Rust, weighs more then the actual steel in this one......

Within the trade, granted in the state of PA, and or Somerset County PA, a trade can take place between 2 people as a verbal agreement, BUT, in this trade my Dad was in business for himself as a small engine repairman, with a full shop. SO, the trade HAD by law to be put into writing, and in the end, claimed. SADLY with that, the trade is not equal, as agreed upon. Makes for me and my Step-Mom to be paying the state for the trade, itself, as a tax claim, and then to pay to have the tractor removed for scrap, and to have it tested for any and all liquids removed and recycled. Needless to say, about $3,000 worth total! The tractor isn't worth beans right now....PLUS it sets in a barn my Dad rented for storage.....Which has to go for reasons hes not around to make up the difference in cost for the shop....So....Because of all these things considered and the trade NOT finished by either the other guy, OR my Dad, neither has claimed it either, we need to unwind it to make it right as the guy is going to get off with a car that he can get serious money for, and me and my Step-Mom stuck paying the bill......

Granted, I know my Dad well, and he seen something in this tractor, for all I know he knew someone that had parts and was trying to get it all together to rebuild this thing, BUT hes gone and there are no notes of this anywhere.....As the Farmall "H" would have been a good chunk in their pockets had it been complete and running, you know? BUT this is also my Dad too....... He was the type to do something, and think the best of everyone, kind of "turn the other cheek" so to speak, as he was a good Christian guy.....BUT, being Christian doesn't say be a chump either....Not saying he was that, as I know how Dad was, he seen something, I just don't have the whole story, nor all who he may have tried getting involved in it to get all that was needed as this tractor is afterall a 1942 model.....

Crapy that its an unfinished deal, BUT good as it can be reversed.....Sadly when my Step-Mom and are done with this, the other guy isn't going to be very happy, BUT as the paperwork states and is signed by both, this tractor is far from what it was said to be! At this point in time, my Step-Mom knows a guy with a trailer, and I plan to pay him to go and get the tractor, and take it back to the guy it rightfully belonged too, and have him bring the car to the house on the same trailer AFTER the tractor is dropped off, and pay him myself for his work and effort....And the guy to do this I've spoken too and hes willing (a friend, you know?) but sees the issue and why on all this.....

THEN because of the whole thing being "claimed" due to the business, she and I both have to sign off on it being stated as un-done trade due to death......

Seriously, this trade.... theres 8 parts to the paperwork! Imagine that!?

Very hard to say. Different things mean different things to different folks. I know my Dad acquired my Gramps 54 Jag XK 120, which Gramps, as a widower, bought on my 14th birthday in 1962. Dad bought the Jag from Gramps sometime later, but it never meant that much to Dad. Dad told me one day that the car he used to have was a Model A Cabriolet was his favorite car when he was young, and he wished he could have one. I was all over him. "Why in HELL don't you sell the Jag, you could have a REAL nice Model A? I know, from the way he talked, he'd have LOVED to have had one. You just never know what is in someone's mind.

ford_model_a_cabriolet_1930.jpg

It's certainly too bad your father didn't live to enjoy whatever he had in mind

I would agree to get the Dart back.

The 318 could very well be the original engine.

Good luck with returning the tractor to the other guy. I hope he doesn't get upset/uncooperative with you and give you a hard time. (But if he does, then you know that he knew that he got the better end of the deal).

I'm not sure I understand all the details of the trade or the process.

Regardless I'm getting the impression you may think the 1968 four door Dart may be worth a significant amount of money. I think it's important to point out it's not a very desirable car being a four door model. It may look decent in pictures but I bet underneath the paint it's probably rustier than that tractor. The 318 engine, original or not has no more value than a slant 6. Your dad may have know that the wheels were ready to fall off that Dart from rust. He may of took advantage of the other guy, hard to say for sure. Your dad being a small engine mechanic and dealer, I'm doubting he traded off a pristine car for a broken down tractor unless he though he was going to be money ahead.

If unwinding the deal will cost you less in estate taxes go for it. If your unwinding because you think the Dart is worth more than the tractor I think in the end your going to be regretting spending money and time chasing the Dart unless it is sentimental or something. Even then that doesn't make it a good decision from a money standpoint.

I know the tractors a pain in the *** to deal with when they are not running. I don't think it should cost you any money to have it scraped if that ends up happening. Around here there is no shortage of guys willing to pick up scrap metal and even pay you for the privilege in most cases. There are also guys really into these old tractors, might be able to sell it even as bad as it is.

I agree with the others, if you have no sentimental attachment to the Dart, it's not worth fighting over. Sell the Farmall to someone who wants to restore it and move on. Dealing with an estate while still in the grieving process is a *****, don't make it harder than it has to be.

here in Mo you can call us horsemen, cowboys, whatever but there's an old saying: just take your horsetrade fu----- and move on like a man.
like they said, 4 door darts are not very valuable, the market on restored old tractors is down like the old mopar market is too. perhaps your dad made a trade that HE was happy with . my 2 cents worth.

I'm not sure I understand all the details of the trade or the process.

Regardless I'm getting the impression you may think the 1968 four door Dart may be worth a significant amount of money. I think it's important to point out it's not a very desirable car being a four door model. It may look decent in pictures but I bet underneath the paint it's probably rustier than that tractor. The 318 engine, original or not has no more value than a slant 6. Your dad may have know that the wheels were ready to fall off that Dart from rust. He may of took advantage of the other guy, hard to say for sure. Your dad being a small engine mechanic and dealer, I'm doubting he traded off a pristine car for a broken down tractor unless he though he was going to be money ahead.

If unwinding the deal will cost you less in estate taxes go for it. If your unwinding because you think the Dart is worth more than the tractor I think in the end your going to be regretting spending money and time chasing the Dart unless it is sentimental or something. Even then that doesn't make it a good decision from a money standpoint.

I know the tractors a pain in the *** to deal with when they are not running. I don't think it should cost you any money to have it scraped if that ends up happening. Around here there is no shortage of guys willing to pick up scrap metal and even pay you for the privilege in most cases. There are also guys really into these old tractors, might be able to sell it even as bad as it is.

I agree with this. Dad may have saw something in this tractor or may have had parts lined up to fix it. Horses are horses and tractors are tractors but to the right people in the right arenas it could be a real find. I know around this area old farm equipment brings big money and as far as the Dart goes, look at the parting out forum and see how many 4 door Darts are being parted out. I'd research the tractor more.

Love to see pictures of both. I've got a feeling that the OP only wants people to agree with him by the way this is presented.
I kind of think he should keep his loafers on and move on and concentrate on the more important aspects of estate settlement.

I'd be pretty hard to get along with if some guy I made a trade with Son came around wanting to undo a deal I made with his Father.
And if he threatened me with legal action over it, I'd probably tell him to pound salt and run him off.
I get that you want the car back, but the deal was done and it wasn't your car, so you shouldn't go messing with the guy just because you didn't agree with the trade.

Move on.

Between certain types of men, a handshake is as strong as any legal document,, and his "word" is his bond..

I'll bet your Dad was one of those men,..

Try and live up to those standards.. and you will be well respected ,, as he likely was..

RIP.. amen

Anything more than offering to buy the car back (after inspecting it carefully) would be disrespectful, to your Dad.. imho

hope it helps

I hate it when a thread derails and nobody answers the original question. :D

Anyways, the 68 Dart came with the slant 6, 273, 318, 340, 383, and 426 Hemi engines. As far as I know the four door model only came with the first three engines listed (non high performance) with the 318 being the largest. As has already been explained the 5th digit in the vin number can be decoded to tell you what engine was factory installed in the Dart.

As it is for everyone here...... the trade wasn't by far, fair, its going to cost more to unwind the whole trade, then the tractor is worth....As I read though the trade papers the tractor was to be sold. And the cost split between the 2 people, equally 50/50..........HOWEVER that cost, that would have paid my father, would have exceeded the value of the car as-is....

At this point in time, the tractor is going to cost more then the whole trade is worth! Just to get rid of it.......

Granted the car, is not perfect, BUT requires NO work to do a single thing to it.......See, the tractor being a '42 Farmall "H" is well worth over $68,000 right NOW. In "desirable condition" that's way more then the Dart would sell for in its current shape. BUT with the laws, and closing the business from Dads death this was something that needs signed off on, the guy with the Dart, was wanting "his half" of the funds from the trade itself! Matter of fact, wants it out of my Dads death insurance..........As to seeing that was thee "end" deal in this trade. WELL neither person Dan or My Father John, has signed off any of the paper work.....Told both my Step-Mom and I at 2 different times, until he has a check in-hand for the tractors sale, the deal will not be signed-off on, and then says you need that paperwork to close the business....ONCE this goes to court as I'm sure he's going to do, then the judge will be able to say if the business can be closed otherwise we're still paying shop taxes to the state, and the town the business is in from the PA residence, business taxes are concerned, will end.

I can't see paying a guy 34,000 dollars from a Death insurance policy, that wasn't by far complete, not to mention, the tractor right now isn't worth $1,000. (we have had it appraised by a guy that deals in collectable tractor sales and value.) The pictured tractor, above that someone posted, is probably worth a bit more, almost double what I got told as that's a near mint restore. The deal in the trade was to make the current tractor a "desirable sale". Meaning less then whats pictured.

Whats more. My Dad's Death insurance policy, was only $30,000 Meaning, that My Step-Mom and I would have to cough up another $4,000, PLUS my Dads whole funeral bill..........

See, the whole thing is un-real, some people just don't care and look out for themselves. This guy Dan, is threatened to go to the law if not paid, and as-is, ain't a thing worth the $34,000 he wants nor do either I or my Step-Mom have that kind of money even with the Death Insurance...

This is why I was looking into the car being complete as if this goes the other way, it too will be sold. This is saying, if a judge requires us to "sell-out" in the whole mess....

With the whole mess, its just a matter to get to a place that, will allow us, to close the business, and get this on the right foot and end it, you know? BUT as per state laws.......... unfinished business with a business that's claimed a trade, for Gods sake people, please, learn from this, its a bitter-sweet end, and hell, at this point, I'm not sure where it may end up even yet, with no signatures of either party and not knowing what my Dad has said to this guy, (Hell, I don't even know of this guy, Dan from my Dad when alive spoke about him......

IF anything has to be sold as-per state requirement, it will go towards the state business tax, that this whole single trade has conjured up!!!! As that too must be paid in full to close the business!

It's unfortunate & I'm sorry to say that it looks like you dad may have gotten himself & in-turn you, into a bad deal. Probably by being a trustworthy person himself, he assumed the other guy would be the same. Not being one to snooker somebody he probably wouldn't be thinking along the lines like dishonest people do. I hope you find a way out of this that doesn't cost too much money or heartache.

Lonewolf,
Thanks for the well wishes! This sucks! I'm at home, my home 700 miles away right now with my Dads "Business phone" his cell phone to make some sort of sense with all this plus to run the minutes off his phone as that's one bill my Step-Mom wanted me to terminate, and what better way to do it I guess even tho its frustrating as hell.

Since my last posting that you've read, I have been on this thing non-stop,....Tiring to say the least, BUT, I've uncovered a guy who was interested in buying the Farmall "H".... As for him, the deal was, that Dad was to trade Dan the 68 Dart for the work to be done to the tractor. Steve (interested buyer,) was to pay my Dad, and then the whole cost on paper was to be split down the middle. I talked with Steve as if this may end up in court over Dans wants out of the deal. Steve is still interested in the tractor, none-the-less. SO, he's going to appear with my Step-Mom and me, (IF I can travel the day before)

Now granted is Grant (the guy to remove the tractor from the rented garage wants to get it to Dans, that's OK, Steve asked me to see if I could call Grant and see if he would haul it otherwise to Steve's if he buys it from Dan in person, or if in court. Even tho the deal itself is not done as it was to be......As my Dad was to simply restore this tractor to desirable condition to Steve.

DAMN, I swear it gets more and more complex as I read and call numbers found of people involved in this whole mess....

Christ, I got long hair, and by the time I'm done, I'll be bald!!!!!!

But the "gist" of all this is.....:

**The storage Garage has to go. cleaned out.....THIS tractor is closest to the doors!
**The deal needs cleared, and signed off on, to close the business
**Which once done the business can be closed and no more "taxes" of any sort can be ended.
**Car dealt with as needed, IF it needs sold, it will be auctioned off. Funds to pay ANY and ALL remaining shop debt.
**IF debts are cleared, and such the car will remain, I have no idea what will become of it then, I have to talk with the Step-Mom to know outside of what she and I already spoke about.

This one damned mess, is going to clean up a bit of **** left behind. Nice thing when Dad was alive that "pay-off" work in his shop would have been GREAT for him.....But, it didn't happen as it was planned too. Sadly, left a bit to be desired of and cleaned up......to bad tho. I am my fathers son.....I'da done the work myself, and got a bit from it to help my Step-Moms bills and such, but I'm to far away to do it....NOR do I got resources to get parts for that Farmall! BUT that's not to say if the car needs to go, it will get whatever it needs to be sold.....Then the funds of that will be added to the Death insurance policy to cover what it won't.

In that, I also found I'm glad my Dad started the business!!!!!!! IF he hadn't, the Death insurance he had, wouldn't have even covered the funeral bill! BUT he was smart enough and had plenty of business to cover it give them, $30,000 for it all and my Step-Mom also got $30,000 on her too! All through the "Little Red Barn Small Engine Repairs" shop my Dad started some 3 years ago!

Lonewolf,
Thanks for the well wishes! This sucks! I'm at home, my home 700 miles away right now with my Dads "Business phone" his cell phone to make some sort of sense with all this plus to run the minutes off his phone as that's one bill my Step-Mom wanted me to terminate, and what better way to do it I guess even tho its frustrating as hell.

Since my last posting that you've read, I have been on this thing non-stop,....Tiring to say the least, BUT, I've uncovered a guy who was interested in buying the Farmall "H".... As for him, the deal was, that Dad was to trade Dan the 68 Dart for the work to be done to the tractor. Steve (interested buyer,) was to pay my Dad, and then the whole cost on paper was to be split down the middle. I talked with Steve as if this may end up in court over Dans wants out of the deal. Steve is still interested in the tractor, none-the-less. SO, he's going to appear with my Step-Mom and me, (IF I can travel the day before)

Now granted is Grant (the guy to remove the tractor from the rented garage wants to get it to Dans, that's OK, Steve asked me to see if I could call Grant and see if he would haul it otherwise to Steve's if he buys it from Dan in person, or if in court. Even tho the deal itself is not done as it was to be......As my Dad was to simply restore this tractor to desirable condition to Steve.

DAMN, I swear it gets more and more complex as I read and call numbers found of people involved in this whole mess....

Christ, I got long hair, and by the time I'm done, I'll be bald!!!!!!

But the "gist" of all this is.....:

**The storage Garage has to go. cleaned out.....THIS tractor is closest to the doors!
**The deal needs cleared, and signed off on, to close the business
**Which once done the business can be closed and no more "taxes" of any sort can be ended.
**Car dealt with as needed, IF it needs sold, it will be auctioned off. Funds to pay ANY and ALL remaining shop debt.
**IF debts are cleared, and such the car will remain, I have no idea what will become of it then, I have to talk with the Step-Mom to know outside of what she and I already spoke about.

This one damned mess, is going to clean up a bit of **** left behind. Nice thing when Dad was alive that "pay-off" work in his shop would have been GREAT for him.....But, it didn't happen as it was planned too. Sadly, left a bit to be desired of and cleaned up......to bad tho. I am my fathers son.....I'da done the work myself, and got a bit from it to help my Step-Moms bills and such, but I'm to far away to do it....NOR do I got resources to get parts for that Farmall! BUT that's not to say if the car needs to go, it will get whatever it needs to be sold.....Then the funds of that will be added to the Death insurance policy to cover what it won't.

In that, I also found I'm glad my Dad started the business!!!!!!! IF he hadn't, the Death insurance he had, wouldn't have even covered the funeral bill! BUT he was smart enough and had plenty of business to cover it give them, $30,000 for it all and my Step-Mom also got $30,000 on her too! All through the "Little Red Barn Small Engine Repairs" shop my Dad started some 3 years ago!

67 Power Wagon, Am I missing something here? Where is the title to the Dart. If I understand correctly, your Dad lived in Pennsylvania. If that car is titled in Pa. whomever's name is on the title is the lawful owner of the vehicle. If the title to the Dart is currently in your dads name, his estate should be the rightful owner. If this is the case, that car should be very easy to legally recover. On the other hand, if your Dad signed off on the title and it was transferred to the other person, he is now the legal owner of the car. If so, good luck trying to recover it.

Starting to make a little more sense now that it wasn't a simple straight trade.

I don't know where the value of $68,000 came from. Seems high as a quick search found them in poor to average condition from $1,000 to $5,000 probably likely about the same value of the Dart.

Dan's story doesn't make much sense. Your dad and him do what seems like should be a legit straight trade at least in value. Then your dad has to fix up the tractor and split the money with Dan. Maybe Dan was going to bank roll the project or did bank roll the project already by prepaying for some or all of your dads services and or parts.

You guys end up in court over a $1,000 tractor and a $1,000 Dart and you both will be losing money.

Sorry to hear about the mess you inherited. I really do hope it works out for the best for you and your step mother.

Yea I'm not sure where the $68,000 value comes in either!! Dad has a Farmall H that was his dads and I know good and well that they're not worth $68,000 unless they're 24k gold plated with a diamond studded steering wheel or something.

Yea I'm not sure where the $68,000 value comes in either!! Dad has a Farmall H that was his dads and I know good and well that they're not worth $68,000 unless they're 24k gold plated with a diamond studded steering wheel or something.
Ya, me too. We have one out in the shed with good tin, clean paint and only use it on the saw mill. Damn- I'm going to have to go out and give it a hug. If somebuddy offered me $5000 they would own it LOL

-
Back