-
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitepunkonnitro

Reaction score
Rating - 98.2%
162   3   0
Contact seller
I do not know the history on this particular engine beyond that it came to me as part of a package deal months ago, and I have no way to contact the guy I got it from....
That said, what I have here is something as close to NOS as you can possibly get. I've never seen anything quite like it.
The engine has all the signs of being a professional rebuild (new core plugs all around, temp melt tag on one) , no signs of sludge anywhere, ever...zero ridge, very clear cross hatch on all cylinders. BUT, everything on it is standard. Original pistons, std crank with OE bearings, etc.
The shortblock wears a coat of paint that LOOKS like worn original paint. Outside of motor says normal use for 100,000 miles, inside says "not even broken in yet"! I'm not stretching things a bit when I say that whoever owned this thing had to have changed the oil every 500 miles for the internals to appear the way they do.
That said, several cylinders do have very minor surface rust, and need to be honed before the engine is put into service. When I say honed, I mean 5 minutes of hand honing, and this thing is good to go. I'm sure the original rings can go right back in it. This engine does not in any way, shape or form need to see a machine shop for any reason!
Casting date on the block is 12/10/68...number on vin pad is 9B311171.
I'm asking $1500 for the assembly..and before you roll your eyes and call me insane, understand that this thing is an absolute jewel and you will not find another like it... It's so nice, I would not even put it in a car! I'm going to kick myself for selling it....
I'll post some pics in just a bit...I WILL NOT SHIP!!!! It can either be picked up in Nashville Tn, or, I can deliver within a thousand mile raduis for $50 per 100 miles.
Just to be clear on this...I will not strap it to a pallet, I will not build a box around it, I will not wrap it in cardboard, I will not drop it off anywhere. You come get it, or I'll bring it to you.
PM me if you've got any questions or have any specific pic requests.
Thanks FABO!

6766658763_89e1c44f64_m.jpg

6766664187_824ebd1412_m.jpg

6766668931_2313c09e49_m.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if a prior owner hand honed the cylinders, which would explain the hatch pattern and it just got rusty from sitting.
Good luck with the sale.

Interesting. I wonder if a prior owner hand honed the cylinders, which would explain the hatch pattern and it just got rusty from sitting.
Good luck with the sale.

Def. not hand honed...I had thought that too at first, but the pattern is dead nuts consistant from hole to hole. The tops of the pistons and the tops of the bores have a consistant carbon coating, but there is zero trace of a ridge, and the cross hatch runs right up into the carbon.

Any sleeve evidence? PAW used to sell std. bore sleeved 340's. Maybe it just sat forever, got grimy and was freshened up..then sat again. Nice motor though. Any dates on the bearings?

Any sleeve evidence? PAW used to sell std. bore sleeved 340's. Maybe it just sat forever, got grimy and was freshened up..then sat again. Nice motor though. Any dates on the bearings?

I'm going to have to look at that closely...would explain alot of things. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks!

The thing that intrigues me is the color. I was always under the impression that 69-series 340s were that faded blue or red.

Grant

The thing that intrigues me is the color. I was always under the impression that 69-series 340s were that faded blue or red.

Grant

The color does not jive, but here's the thing...it's the original paint on this block, and the overspray on the crank flange, etc, is consistant with a factory painted engine.

Just a thought...did you look at the bottom of the cylinders? A good sheen shop can make it impossible to detect from the top that it has sleeves.

In your first post you indicate they could be new core plugs. If so, then there would be no way they would match that well.. But looking at them, they sure look original?

Grant

In your first post you indicate they could be new core plugs. If so, then there would be no way they would match that well.. But looking at them, they sure look original?

Grant

Yeah, see..they do look original, but the coreplugs in the side of the block are brass, like you would find in a marine engine...and one of the plugs has a "melt tag" like one that a rebuilder would use for warrantee purposes.
Also, adding to the list of enigmatic trinkets on this engine, is a brass tower bushing...

Maybe it IS a marine engine.. don't they run backwards? Could explain the color too..

That is possible...it could have begun life as a marine engine, but then why is there any stamping on the VIN pad. Also, I've never seen a marine engine whose water jackets were not completely lousy with rust and assorted gack...these are clean.

Id pop one of the caps off and check the date on the bearings. Looks as though the crank has some smaller drill holes. Someone had the assembly balanced. Should be turquoise and have steel freeze plugs if it were original.

That is possible...it could have begun life as a marine engine, but then why is there any stamping on the VIN pad. Also, I've never seen a marine engine whose water jackets were not completely lousy with rust and assorted gack...these are clean.

I had a guy here in town buying 340 from me in the late 70's when his motors blew up in his Drag Line for cleaning ditches. He claimed that they came with 340 in them when he bought them new. It looks like a constuction yellow on that block you have pictured. Could be some kind of industrial if they ever really did put them in construction equipment.:shock:

I had a guy here in town buying 340 from me in the late 70's when his motors blew up in his Drag Line for cleaning ditches. He claimed that they came with 340 in them when he bought them new. It looks like a constuction yellow on that block you have pictured. Could be some kind of industrial if they ever really did put them in construction equipment.:shock:
I think blewbyu is on to something. btw, if it is a marine engine and it was fresh water cooled, and well maintained, it would be clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back