1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S Restoration

-
Quarter panels going back on after all body panel alignments. had to do some welding on drivers door to get gap even all the way down.
After more investigation, we found that the R6 Scorch Red on the back of the trunk lid was NOT original factory R6 paint. There was primer and a blue coat under it, then more primer!!
I found some info on the internet about the original factory Mopar paints and found that Dupont had a formula for R6. The body shop phoned Dupont and found someone to dig out the formula. They mixed it and shot some on the body under the QP's and it looks terrific. The attached is the formula that we are going to use.
MVC-043S.JPG

R6 Scorch Red Paint formula.pdf.jpg

Attachments

• R6 Scorch Red Paint formula.pdf
    226.3 KB · Views: 201
Finding it frustrating to find quality suspension parts - in particular LCA bushings. The Moog K791 bushings (made in India) were to large on the ID and the pins was loose inside it instead of being a press fit. Some people stated that AC Delco (made in Mexico) was better, but I found 2 out of 3 bushings were also too large on the ID and are also junk!!
Now I've ordered a couple of ProForged bushings. Got one a couple of days ago and it's dimensions are correct. Waiting to get the 2nd one.
LCA Bushing dimensions.jpg

Out of 11 different LCA bushings, I only have 5 that are any good!! Proforged seemed to be the best as both of them were good (Although 2 is a small sample). All the others are hit and miss.
I ordered 4 Spicer Professional Bushings from Bill Rolik, but 2 of them were junk.
Jim

LCA Bushing dimensions.jpg

Update Oct 2nd. I made an on-line complaint to Moog and AC Delco about these bushings. Never heard from Moog, but got a reply from AC DELCO. They sent me a label to ship them back to the US so their engineering dept could followup with their supplier!!!! Thought that was kind of impressive!!

Last edited:
Sent my variable speed wiper switch and ignition switch to JS Restorations. https://jsrestorations.com/ The ignition switch had high resistance on some contacts. Jim does a super job in restoring these old switches. Highly recommended.
16B829AC-1253-4162-A82F-89A4745A1096_1024x768.JPG
75DF5834-DF28-4955-B018-114D1C030A8B_1024x768.JPG
IMG_1306_1024x768.jpg
IMG_1365_1024x768.jpg

Body shop is making good progress. Another example of the excellent bodywork rust repairs at the back of the car.
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG

I was at the body shop today to drop off the fender tag to get painted. They were masking off the body to get it ready to head into the paint booth. After applying the base-clear, they put the parts out in the sun for a while to harden up. Then they will wet sand everything and apply a final clear coat. The painted parts look fantastic!!
The owner told be that the bodyman who did all the body work on my car logged 465 hours!!!
Should be finished in about 2 weeks.
MVC-001S.JPG

That's already Porsche league or even higher. Two guys from my area in Austria sold all their Mopars and are playing with older Ferraris now. Probably wasn't that much more $$$$$.

Wow, that is a LOT of hours!

Mini tubbed, fenders rolled, springs relocated, frame connectors, torque boxes, extra frame for 32 gallon custom fuel tank, modifications and new tunnel for T-56 Magnum six speed, smoothed firewall, custom radiator support for 27" crossflow radiator, front fenders modified for taller tires, fiberglass six pack hood modified to clear the tunnel ram, and a lot more. That is in addition to repairing the previous collision damage repairs, swapping out the inner fenders, and cleaning up a few other odds and ends.

DSC09675.JPG

I had a bunch of parts stranded across the border since March at my parts depot (Blue Water Shipping) in Port Huron MI, but could not get them because the border was closed - and is still closed!! I checked last week to see if there was any way to get them shipped across the border and found they now have a commercial company that will bring them across to Sarnia ON. Worked great!!
Now I'm able to assemble the front of the engine after getting my damper and Flowcooler water pump.
IMG_7080_576x768.jpeg
IMG_7099_1024x768.jpeg
IMG_7100_1024x768.jpeg
IMG_7102_1024x768.jpeg
IMG_7104_1024x768.jpeg
IMG_7108_1024x768.jpeg

I had a bunch of parts stranded across the border since March at my parts depot (Blue Water Shipping) in Port Huron MI, but could not get them because the border was closed - and is still closed!! I checked last week to see if there was any way to get them shipped across the border and found they now have a commercial company that will bring them across to Sarnia ON. Worked great!!
Now I'm able to assemble the front of the engine after getting my damper and Flowcooler water pump.
View attachment 1715583841 View attachment 1715583842 View attachment 1715583843 View attachment 1715583844 View attachment 1715583845 View attachment 1715583846
Nice! Double clamped coolant line?

-
Back