1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S Restoration

-
Back at the Cuda again!!!
A couple of things I has seen mentioned on the Holley Sniper forum was low voltage.
1. Low voltage on the +12V Key on feed to the sniper when cranking. Apparently anything below 11 volts causes problems on starting. I connected the IGN1 feed to the sniper feed and then cranked the engine. Sure enough, the voltage was below 11V. (The IGN1 also connects to the voltage regulator which pulls the voltage down)
I made a wiring mod to add a relay to ensure I had a >12V supply to the sniper as well as the voltage regulator.

2. The forum also mentioned low voltage conditions when idling with headlights and heater on etc. The stock alternator does not put out sufficient voltage under high load and idle speeds. I've now swapped out the original alternator for a Powermaster 7018. Powermaster 7018 Powermaster Retro Alternators | Summit Racing Hopefully that will solve this problem.

View attachment 1716058122

View attachment 1716058123

Hey RealWing,

Here's an interesting video on current draw/alternators/charging and voltage regulation.

Thought it might be of help.

Cheers!!

My 68 Formula S was sold to a friend of mine and when he got divorced, he went out to the garage, drained the oil and started it and held it to the floor till there a lot of little pieces left. Then he called the junk yard and they took it away. 340 4 speed with air. It was a hell of a car couldn't break it, never put a clutch in it. Easily put the speedo all the way around pass 0, 150 speedo.

My 68 Formula S was sold to a friend of mine and when he got divorced, he went out to the garage, drained the oil and started it and held it to the floor till there a lot of little pieces left. Then he called the junk yard and they took it away. 340 4 speed with air. It was a hell of a car couldn't break it, never put a clutch in it. Easily put the speedo all the way around pass 0, 150 speedo.
bet the junk yard didn't crush it though.

My fake Mopar green top battery. Actually an Exide MX24 AGM battery

IMG_0302.JPEG

IMG_0238.JPEG

Yes, that is a stick on decal. Smaller than the original script, so not quite correct. I spray painted the exide battery case black. I got it from Weskcar on e-Bay.
Jim

-
Back