1969 Carter AVS

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
The stock AVS carb on my 340 is flooding out. I had it rebuilt by a friend who is a retired race engine builder, and former NASCAS crew chief. I trust his work, but.....
Anyway, the car starts fine and runs smooth for a few seconds. Then, it starts to stumble like it has a HUGE cam installed. I can easily keep it running if I keep my foot on the pedal, but after shut down, gas pools in the secondary venturies.
I pulled the top of the carb off, and found the drivers side float stuck CLOSED. I freed it up, and it seemed to be better. Fast forward a few days, and here I am on Sunday am chasing the same trouble.

The car is stone stock, with a replacement mechanical fuel pump, and no mods at all.

ANY ideas at all? Anything I can check based on your own experience?
I am about to throw in the towel.

George

I found a problem while rebuilding a Carter 4 brl. a while back.
The new seats were correct but the new needles were longer than originals. Some creative bending was needed to get the float arms right and I had to trim the height of the slosh baffles too.

It does sound like a float problem.

George

Back in the day when my Dart was bone stock I had the same problem with my AVS. Like was mentioned before, you have a float issue. I've worked on these carbs a lot over the years and they are pretty simple to deal with. Even though you had a reputable guy go through it, check the float level and float drop. Also the tang where the pins slide through to hold the float in place need to be perfectly parallel and square to the supports. I had one float that on one side the tab was ever so slightly twisted that it would catch and stick if the stars in the sky were in perfect alignment......yeah you get my drift. Took me a while to find it because when I would have the top of the carb off and invert it, the floats seemed to move freely up and down.

What I found was that one tab had a litlle bit more side to side clearance to the side support allowing the float to move to that side and drag just enough to hang up. I'll never forget that hassle. After I made sure that both floats had jsut right amount of clearance and that the seats were good and tight, my problem went away.

Be sure to check the that the seats have gaskets on them and that the floats are good and straight to the housing.

Just a few ideas that worked for me. I'm sure there are some others here that have had some personal experience also and can offer some advice.

Good Luck!

OK guys,
I pulled the top of the carb off again, and the same needle was stuck closed again. This time I removed the float, and pulled the needle out. I see NO way that it could get stuck again. I still have no idea WHY it was stuck to begin with. Anyway, I lowered the float levels slightly, and the car fired right up. I piled the kids in the car and we went around the block in it to see whats up. I don't think my neighbors like the open exhaust manifolds with a pipe extension, but the kids loved it! LOL Anyway, we came home, and no fuel drip after shut down this time. I let the car sit for 30 minutes, and we did it again. Car fired right up, and no fuel dripping. I dunno how long it will last, or why it happened (twice) in the first place, but, as usual, you guys knew right where to look.
Thanks again guys, I greatly appreciate the help!

George

Had a similar problem with mine.
Does yours have the two piece needles?
The kit I bought came with both two piece and solid so I changed to the solid ones and solved the problem.
Bruce

Bruce-
I don't know what came in the kit, because I had a buddy rebuild it for me.
It has the 2 piece in it now. If it gives me any more problems, I'll see about getting another needle/seat kit for it.

George

Check to make sure the floats aren't filled with some fuel. Sinking floats are a tough thing to deal with as well

Thanks Crackedback. I shook them to be sure they're empty.
I took the car around the block again, and it is still OK. It starts on the first tic of the key now.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

George

-
Back