1969 Dodge Dart GT freshen up

-
440source flywheel is on the way. We'll see how it balances out. I have the QuickTime to-531 balance weight that I tried to use with my stock 340 flywheel. I guess it wobbled on the machine.

sent these pics to brewers. Going to have to tear into the trans to see whats all needed. should be a fun learning experience.

They are so easy, a couple of snap ring pliers, magnetic dial indicator and a cheap $40 harbor freight bearing / remover.
Some wooden dowel rods, and some hardware store pipe.
Freeze the shafts, heat the bearings.

I put this one back together after sitting for 20 years.

photofdg.jpg

Here is a finished photo, it was a OD trans.

1000215e.jpg

Looks sweet ^^^^^^^^^^^

Here's he flywheel
http://store.440source.com/1045-Billet-Steel-Flywheel-New/productinfo/113-1014/

I called twice. The first time just to see if it would work. It sounded like it was to universal to just be used right out of the box. After doing some research I called back and he was nice enough to measure the balancing weight mounting holes. I told him about the McLeod flywheel on Brewers sight and the different weights available. It looks like there is now a link to the Brewers page on 440source's flywheel description.:burnout:

I noticed you have the bearing retainer adapter ring for the bellhousing. I got one of those and it would just push through the bellhousing too easily. I was afraid once I put the trans in the car that it could possibly fall into the bellhousing and we know what happens then. So I called brewers and ordered the larger bearing retainer and it fits the bellhousing great and I sleep better at night knowing I did not use the ring. Just food for thought. One more thing. Don't forget to check the bellhousing to crankshaft runout. Here is a link to a youtube video if you need a guide. It is a brand X, but still is a Lakewood bellhousing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzc2tmFKUhI&index=11&list=WL"]Part 17 How To Align The Bellhousing Using Offset Dowel Pins For The Big Block Chevy - YouTube[/ame]

you only live once. Going to be using some other parts I had laying around.

1452563043_zpsgcrf4wrh.jpg

1452563055_zpssho4rfye.jpg

1452563057_zpsdx1o5yl8.jpg

1452563068_zpsx1odz8go.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to check it out. It looks like it the adapter has never been used. The bell was modified to work with a Jericho.

I prefer the bushing if the crank is drilled for it. But if it isn't drilled the bearing that slides into the torque converter register will do just fine. If your crank isn't drilled deep enough you will have to cut an inch or so off the input shaft.

mopp_0107_10_z%2b1969_dodge_dart_custom%2bcrank.jpg

Underneath, the crank needs a pilot bushing installed to run a four-speed. Unfortunately, not all Mopar cranks were drilled or finish sized for the bushing. Cranks that are drilled, but not finish sized, will work if the O.D. of the bushing is turned down, or often with a NAPA 615-1033 undersize bushing made for unfinished cranks. Undrilled cranks can use the later Mopar bearing 53009180 which fits in the cranks torque converter hub register, though the nose of the trans input shaft will need to be hacked off for clearance. Luckily, the Darts 84 police 318s crank was drilled and sized for the regular pilot bushing. Knock it in with a proper driver.

I don't think that is deep enough for the input shaft. Best I remember that hole for manual trans crank is over 2" deep when drilled from the factory. I can check one of my 340 cranks this evening for a more accurate depth of you need it.

It would be greatly appreciated. Also note that it was measured from the top of the hole. Not the hub flange.

I measured 1.964" from the flat surface where the pilot bushing goes to the fartherest point back in the center of the hole.

1.964 is the depth of 360dusters crank, not exactly how deep yours needs to be. I think U are good. If U want grind 1/16" off the tip off the input shaft

-
Back