1969 Dodge Dart GT freshen up

-
1454028480_zpssqxdzfgc.jpg

1454036564_zps0803ivon.jpg

Oil filter adapter now has extra holes

1454036570_zpsk0u0zydd.jpg

1454036549_zpsg22ysdkp.jpg

Shiny bolt head is for pickup tube. Going to weld a bolt to it to hold the kevko pick up.

1454036558_zpsdgefhiqi.jpg

1454036560_zpsmh8trkkq.jpg

1454036535_zpszz6md2oe.jpg

Need to figure out what oil pump I'm going to use. Always heard the stock pump is just fine. Buy new or take apart and clean up old one?

Old one is probably OK just check it for straightness across the rotors and the pump cover and check the clearance between the rotors and housing. Check the gears for galling, etc. While it's apart you can clean up the passages for better flow, kinda like a gasket match. Once you have it apart, you will see where you can smooth it out. Just make sure you clean out the metal chips good!

Just a regular. Any reason I should get a high volume with a kevko pan?

Just a general consensus a HV pump offers more coverage, especially in a street driven car with a deep pan. Some stay with the regular because the HV can rob a little HP. I have an HV on my 416, had on on my previous 340/W2 combo.

Had to fab up e-brake bracket. Evidently I cut it off to install the 3" inboard kit.

1454160127_zpsk0nroqyq.jpg

1454160129_zpsdcr4pdac.jpg

New cables from inline tube

Melling M-72HV. Not really too many other choices unless you want a high-dollar piece.

There is a company called Precision Oil Pumps that takes your garden-variety pump and 'blueprints' them. They smooth the passages, put a coating on the gears etc. They are like $120. They hand pick the units for the best ones.

I bought one from them and cracked the housing when I installed it wrong (it was cocked, threaded a bolt down and it cracked). Bought another HV, smoothed out the passages and used the coated gears. So I am a two pump chump. :D

I wouldn't bother with the hold down for your pick up tube.

If I recall when I threaded the pick up on to the old pump it didn't feel quite tight enough where it needed to be. pros it can't move once bolted in place. cons one more bolt and nut added to the equation (if the weld breaks or nut backs off=very bad day)

It's official. I need a under dash harness with the fuse box.
1454282313_zpsvztxspmt.jpg

Wait, you have room for a couple more butt connectors and splices in that... hahaha! Mine was really hacked up, so I rewired my entire car instead.. It was well worth it!

Still going to have to hack up the one I bought. Only this time it will be with solder and heat shrink. Get rid of the amp gauge.
attachment.php

Very smart move! If you have not already done this, another nice upgrade is the Headlight relays. Crackedback has a good set up.

I will have to look into that.

Lucky the car didn't start on fire hahaha
1454289850_zpspe4sphrj.jpg

Run both those wires on the mad style wire around. Having two wires feed the compartment is a better idea. They are still protected by the 16 ga fusible link.

I would not solder the connections at the amp gauge. A good butt connector and heat shrink will do the trick. A down side to solder is some of it can be corrosive to the wiring, as crazy as that may be, and the point where the solder stops becomes a potential fracture site. Lots of ways to do this.

I do wire around solutions and have items to do them cleanly.

Rob

00M0M_50nTAhdSQik_600x450.jpg

cool air cleaner. not sure who makes it. seen on dart for sale on craigslist.

Snow day
1454470533_zps9lrdddcx.jpg

1454470539_zps5ow3ydhd.jpg

1454470540_zps7m1gcyok.jpg

1454470543_zpsbffcirfu.jpg

1454470545_zpssdez3bj2.jpg

1454470601_zpsdoabmf6n.jpg

1454470605_zpsbgqubgn2.jpg

1454470603_zpsvw6mrxk6.jpg

So I got the heads on, oil pump in. Gasket matched the intake. Had to bend the pickup tube a little. It has a hair less than 3/8 clearance. (Used the kids playdo). Welded a bolt onto the main cap bolt. ( I suck at welding. Bolt was crooked. Used a lock washer, torqued to 35lbs). That's when I should have quit for the night. Decided to power on and install the timing cover. It was a sheet show. The seal was a pain to get in. Installed the water pump with a little rtv. Only to realize one of the timing cover bolts needed to go in first. Then the timing cover bolts were MIA. It was a race me against the rtv. Which I was probably applying where it didn't need to be. Took the paint off the kevko pan. (Brake clean/wiped right off) The rear gasket didn't fit very well so I trimmed the rubber seal. Last two picks are the front oil pan bolts. Don't look right to me.

-
Back