1969 Dodge Dart Swinger clean up

-
Good idea to go through a used car like this. Lots of little issues. Some bigger than others. Just things like a bad ground, a loose bolt, incorrect clip... can leave you stranded in the road.

Looks like a previous owner was not extremely mechanically inclined or wanted it shiny for a flip. Even better reason to go through it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the A Body side .

Looks like you got a good project there . At the rate you're going should be done underneath in what , a couple of weeks :)
Kidding :)

Funny how shiny paint and interior make it look like such a nice car. But underneath it’s all beat up. My cars are the opposite ugly on outside, solid underneath. Thank goodness no salty roads in Oregon

Welcome to the A Body side .

Looks like you got a good project there . At the rate you're going should be done underneath in what , a couple of weeks :)
Kidding :)
I tore my Bee down to the VERY last bolt in 35.25 hours and then sent the bare shell out for body and paint. That was just shy of 5 years ago so I'm a bit older and slower this round! :rolleyes:
beerestoration2015 908.JPG

Disconnecting the steering column from the steering box.
1969dartswingercleanup 228.JPG

Punched out the split pin.
1969dartswingercleanup 229.JPG

Pry the coupling back..
1969dartswingercleanup 230.JPG

Coupling clear of the steering box input shaft, so I can drop the front K frame assembly.
1969dartswingercleanup 231.JPG

Torsion bars coming out. Vise grips clamped just enough so they don't leave tooth marks and a pry bar.
1969dartswingercleanup 233.JPG

Popped right out, easy peezy, as someone was nice enough to have greased the sockets well.
1969dartswingercleanup 234.JPG

Torsion bars are Left and Right, don't mix them up.
1969dartswingercleanup 235.JPG

Even part number, 892, is the right.
1969dartswingercleanup 236.JPG

Odd part number, 893 is the left.
1969dartswingercleanup 237.JPG

Leaf spring front hanger nuts all off except one on each side so I can drop the rear axle assembly.
1969dartswingercleanup 247.JPG

If people would actually put such "talent" to proper use. Most interesting tip hanger I've ever seen.
1969dartswingercleanup 251.JPG

My K frame cart isn't going to work as is on this one, thanks to exhaust headers and an automatic.
1969dartswingercleanup 254.JPG

Sizing up what I need to modify to make it work this round.
1969dartswingercleanup 258.JPG

Radiator out, and a nice one at that.
1969dartswingercleanup 262.JPG

Even the correct 066 radiator for a '69 x 340
1969dartswingercleanup 263.JPG

Shroud needs a bit of work..
1969dartswingercleanup 264.JPG

Getting the throttle and wiring harness out of the way.
1969dartswingercleanup 268.JPG

Bread tags..
1969dartswingercleanup 271.JPG

Ready to come out.
1969dartswingercleanup 276.JPG

Lunch break..
1969dartswingercleanup 278.JPG

Making sure the K frame bolts are going to come out. Not easy, but they all move after 4 days of soaking them with PB blaster through the frame holes.
1969dartswingercleanup 281.JPG

Suspension lifted up to get the upper and lower ball joint studs lined up.
1969dartswingercleanup 283.JPG

Usually the uppers pop with a good 5 lb sledge hit, but not these ones. Socket over the lower ball joint nut and milling machine stack-able clamp spacers to fill the gap, with the nut installed backwards.
1969dartswingercleanup 282.JPG

Cranking the nut OFF the stud to put pressure on the tapered stud until it gets hard to turn. Don't want to strip the threads.
1969dartswingercleanup 284.JPG

One good wack with the hammer and POP.
1969dartswingercleanup 285.JPG

Uppers disconnected on both sides. Upper control arm bushings and cam bolts have been recently changed, so not taking them apart.
1969dartswingercleanup 286.JPG

Had to modify my K frame removal dolly. Big block and 4 speed sat across nicely before. Had to add a pad for the automatic transmission pan so the headers would clear the cart and add 3.5 " at the front for the K frame to sit on
1969dartswingercleanup 288.JPG

Just needs a trim to clear the Idler arm bracket
1969dartswingercleanup 292.JPG

Car lowered to just above the cart. Just in case the car noses forward when I drop the rear axle assembly. It has to come out first so I can drop the one piece exhaust system that someone was so nice to weld all together. It's in the way of the transmission coming down.
1969dartswingercleanup 299.JPG

Amazed that the rear leaf hanger bracket bolts came out without a fight after 52 years.
1969dartswingercleanup 300.JPG

Rear axle assembly coming down.
1969dartswingercleanup 306.JPG

And it's out.
1969dartswingercleanup 307.JPG

Out of the way and now to drop the exhaust.
1969dartswingercleanup 308.JPG

Give a guy a MIG welder.. FFS...
1969dartswingercleanup 310.JPG

Exhaust down in one piece.
1969dartswingercleanup 313.JPG

Bolts out of transmission cross member.
1969dartswingercleanup 315.JPG

K frame bolts coming out.
1969dartswingercleanup 314.JPG

Just a progress shot! lol
1969dartswingercleanup 316.JPG

Always one! 3/4" ratchet and a 5 foot tube. At least it came out and didn't break the nut that's welded inside the frame loose!
1969dartswingercleanup 317.JPG

Coming down, or should I say car going up.
1969dartswingercleanup 319.JPG

Last edited:
Hoping I can maneuver without pulling the steering column.
1969dartswingercleanup 322.JPG

Oil filter needs to go and can't get a band clamp around it.
1969dartswingercleanup 327.JPG

Filter gone allowed me to move the assembly 2.5" to the right.
1969dartswingercleanup 329.JPG

Congratulations, it's a small block.
1969dartswingercleanup 332.JPG

Not a driver anymore!
1969dartswingercleanup 339.JPG

Santa's peeking at the Wife's Christmas present!
1969dartswingercleanup 344.JPG

1969dartswingercleanup 347.JPG

Engine compartment not too bad, just needs a bit of cleaning and detailing...
1969dartswingercleanup 348.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 349.JPG
Another successful day, no cuts and nothing broken!
1969dartswingercleanup 355.JPG

Last edited:
I got new shackles and rear hanger from Mancinis, wasnt that impressed, they both needed a touch up with welder to "fix".
Motoring right along! Great progress and documentation!
Are these new rear shackles "defective"?
I'd say it's time for new bushings and a hanger bracket. All already ordered.
View attachment 1715644332
Emergency brake cables detached so I can drop the rear axle assembly.
View attachment 1715644333
Passenger side emergency brake cable unhooked and out of the way.
View attachment 1715644334
Rubber cap, perfect size to seal off the rear brake line.
View attachment 1715644335
Hard line to flex line disconnected and quickly capped so I don't drain the master cylinder.
View attachment 1715644336
Look at that.. original T5 under the axle stop bumpers.
View attachment 1715644337
Tried for two days now to find these stop bumpers. Part #2834929. Last hint of a supply was about 11 years ago, best I can find on the internet. Have a reproduction part manufacturer that we met at Talladega's Aero meet last year that's is going to considering tooling up.
View attachment 1715644338
Just about ready to drop front and back suspension / engine / trans. Just need to unhook a bit of wiring and the top radiator hose.
View attachment 1715644339
Looks like the fuel tank will clean up nicely. Looks like new. Not sure if a previous owner was oiling this thing or it was doing it itself.. LOL.
View attachment 1715644340

I got new shackles and rear hanger from Mancinis, wasnt that impressed, they both needed a touch up with welder to "fix".
Motoring right along! Great progress and documentation!
Are these new rear shackles "defective"?
Well hopefully what I get from Nigel are better than that, but if not it's a short drive to shove them somewhere...

dadsbee,

Since you have your radiator out of your car, could you please mic the outer diameter of the rad inlet and outlet ports where the upper and lower hoses go on the rad and post them?

I want to confirm if there is a difference in lower and upper rad hose diameters.

Hopefully it's not too much trouble.

Thank you

Pretty sure they're both the same, like a SB in a B body, but I'll check later today.

dadsbee,

Since you have your radiator out of your car, could you please mic the outer diameter of the rad inlet and outlet ports where the upper and lower hoses go on the rad and post them?

I want to confirm if there is a difference in lower and upper rad hose diameters.

Hopefully it's not too much trouble.

Thank you
Both are 1.5" diameter..

Break out the varsol.
1969dartswingercleanup 361.JPG

2.5" stainless exhaust and new mufflers.
1969dartswingercleanup 363.JPG

Hold onto these for a bit fella..
1969dartswingercleanup 369.JPG

Off to one side for now, as I need to make some room in the shop so I can tear things down. I also need my engine hoist back from my Nephew.
1969dartswingercleanup 374.JPG

Guess I should power up the line lock solenoid and see if it still works. Maybe hook it back up..
1969dartswingercleanup 376.JPG

Look like I'll be doing some fabricating on the rear spring bracket attachments.
1969dartswingercleanup 381.JPG

Stuff that just makes my head hurt...
1969dartswingercleanup 384.JPG

Cue the Martian music...
1969dartswingercleanup 387.JPG

Too lazy to take the marker reflector out and instead they cut the decal around it. Yet they took it out to paint it the wrong colour when painting the car!
1969dartswingercleanup 399.JPG
A quick glimpse that someone at least spent money on the engine build. Roller rockers.
1969dartswingercleanup 406.JPG

Off with the 40 year old Gold Monroe Air Jackers! They still hold air!
1969dartswingercleanup 408.JPG

Lots and lots of scrubbing. Realized it's the film that spectra ships their tanks coated with, plus a lot of road grime. Fairly new tank it appears.
1969dartswingercleanup 412.JPG

Tank mostly cleaned up and no way I'm dropping it out with the quarter panel filler tube, so I'll get creative so I can refurbish the tank straps.
1969dartswingercleanup 416.JPG

That should hold it.
1969dartswingercleanup 418.JPG

Straps coming off.
1969dartswingercleanup 421.JPG

Good to go
1969dartswingercleanup 430.JPG

Engine compartment scrubbing and some paint over spray removal, caused by the engine being touched up with a spray can while installed.
1969dartswingercleanup 432.JPG

The engine that's driving this thing at this point.
1969dartswingercleanup 436.JPG

Not my greasy hand prints on a nice new windshield washer container.
1969dartswingercleanup 443.JPG

That's better
1969dartswingercleanup 444.JPG

Getting there, still needs some finer detailing.
1969dartswingercleanup 446.JPG

Why.. why.. paint the speedometer cable. Bugger to get back to black..
1969dartswingercleanup 448.JPG

The old bondo check in the usual spots.. looks good.
1969dartswingercleanup 452.JPG

No cheese here either.
1969dartswingercleanup 453.JPG

Nice solid body panels.
1969dartswingercleanup 454.JPG

Ordered Monday from PST in New Jersey, here today at 5PM.
1969dartswingercleanup 461.JPG

Same Poly kit I put in my Super Bee, but using OE rubber bushings for the lower control arm pivot. Will be doing the same on this one.
1969dartswingercleanup 463.JPG

Not the quality of yours for sure....Oops I meant to put it in the WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR CAR TODAY. I am old....hahaha

I ain't no Spring chicken either at almost 59...
You got me beat by a few years. I'm 56. I am feeling older than that right now though. I tweaked my back putting my trans into my cars trunk today. Having some issues moving right now. Well worth it though. Not complaining.

Good, cause I wouldn't listen anyhow!! LOL I just keep moving so that I can keep moving. Had this fall on me (I was under all them bricks) when I was 18 years old. My L3/4/5 are all toast...
buildingcollapse2.jpg

-
Back