1969 Dodge Dart Swinger clean up

-
dadsbee, you are very ambitious taking on the project. I'm in the process of building a 416 stroker for my bracket car & now I'm reenergized seeing your "cleanup". BTW, I'm soon to be 69, so there is hope for some of us old farts.

The Demon isn't my first rodeo either. I'm down to just my bracket car as of now, I sold off my two stock eliminators about a year & a half ago. I now trying to organize all of the BS I've accumulated as far as Mopar parts go. I have storage here, I have stuff stored in my trailer, I have stuff stored at a friends shop. I've been trying to sort what I want to keep, what needs to be junked, & what needs to be sold. In my lifetime, I've owned somewhere in the vicinity of 80 Mopars, some were drivers, some were parted out, some were restored, driven, raced, & then sold. I've sold off all but the wife's 300, my 3/4 ton truck, my DD caravan, & the bracket car that I bought in 2009.

The Demon isn't my first rodeo either. I'm down to just my bracket car as of now, I sold off my two stock eliminators about a year & a half ago. I now trying to organize all of the BS I've accumulated as far as Mopar parts go. I have storage here, I have stuff stored in my trailer, I have stuff stored at a friends shop. I've been trying to sort what I want to keep, what needs to be junked, & what needs to be sold. In my lifetime, I've owned somewhere in the vicinity of 80 Mopars, some were drivers, some were parted out, some were restored, driven, raced, & then sold. I've sold off all but the wife's 300, my 3/4 ton truck, my DD caravan, & the bracket car that I bought in 2009.
That Demon is bad to the bone by the way.

Thanks Stephen, you are one of the few that have seen it other than in my avatar.

My back was nice enough to give me most of the day off, but I did get some stuff degreased ready for the blasting cabinet.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 002.JPG

AV100LL is the best degreaser there is and at about 1/2 the cost of buying something like watered down Industrial Purple degreaser.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 003.JPG

Torsion bars nicely degreased, ready for blasting and paint. 51 years old and the one torsion bar still has it's assembly line Blue paint dash on it, showing it's for 340 engine cars only.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 008.JPG

Transmission mount ready to take off. I always take a picture as some go flange forward.. some back..
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 014.JPG

Quick dip and a bit of paint brush action and she's clean.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 015.JPG

Leaf spring front hanger bushing bolts are always fun.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 006.JPG

Passenger side came out easy enough. "Nice" 51 year old bushing.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 011.JPG

Drivers side is another story. It will have to wait until I have the springs off the rear axle and try to press it out then. Definitely a car that was driven in Winter. Everything on the drivers side shows signs of running that salt trail down the White line!
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 018.JPG

Last edited:
E = 1969 model year, W = Windsor engine plant, 340 = 340Cubic Inch displacement, P = Premium fuel recommended, 2641 = a Sept 21st 1968 build date based on the 10,000 day calendar, 0149 = the 149th engine built that day.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 022.JPG

Passenger side torsion bar, X member end, #892
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 023.JPG

Passenger side torsion bar with it's single blue dab for assembly line installation. That way nobody had to read numbers, or know which end was which. Drivers side bars got two dabs.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 026.JPG

Drivers side is the odd number on Chrysler products, bar #893
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 027.JPG

Nice roller rockers. All look good and are a 1:1.5 ratio.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 036.JPG

Exhaust headers coming off.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 042.JPG

Knew I heard a tick on the passenger side bank. God I hate headers...
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 046.JPG

Ready to lift off the K frame, but I got stood up for the return of my engine hoist!
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 049.JPG

FedEx showed up today with two parcels, header gaskets, header bolts and new lower rear shock strut studs.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 051.JPG

These Remflex are about 60% thicker than the ones I took off. Hopefully they're the answer to longevity and no leaks.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 058.JPG

New rear shock lower attach studs and new header bolts. Figured at a buck each it was a no brainer on the header bolts.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 052.JPG

New Monroes for front and back and a new rear brake flex hose for body to axle.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 060.JPG

31131 rears, 32022 fronts.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 061.JPG

Drive shaft graffiti. Possibly assembly line markings?
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 062.JPG

Stood up for the return of my engine hoist this weekend, so had to go with plan B today and dug out my gantry. Issue, wouldn't fit past the spindles to get it centered.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 068.JPG

That'll make it a bit narrower!
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 072.JPG

Gantry in place and engine/transmission off the K frame.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 078.JPG

Now I can get to work on the K frame and front suspension as I have all the parts on hand to restore the assembly. Thankfully the steering box doesn't appear to need a rebuild.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 083.JPG

The drive shaft marking looks like "Aja", which was a Steely Dan tune (and album), but from several years later.

Digital pics make life so easy, compared to back in the day when we just tore stuff apart and then tried to figure out how it all went together again.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 092.JPG

Drivers side of the center link has a longer "flat" section than the passenger side.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 093.JPG

Passenger side.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 094.JPG

Lower control arm pivot bushings are done after 51 years.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 096.JPG

Bit of rubber missing on this one.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 098.JPG

Passenger side badly torn.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 100.JPG

Making sure I have the correct idler arm before disassembly.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 102.JPG

All front suspension off the K frame except the pitman arm from the steering box.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 106.JPG

1 5/16" socket and the 3/4" ratchet.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 107.JPG

Puller as tight as you can and a 5 lb hammer wack to the side of the arms socket and pop.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 108.JPG

Steering box needs some degrease and showing the 12 point head bolts and belleville washers that retain it to the K frame.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 119.JPG

Car "restored" without removing the K frame from the car. A good 4 pounds of blasting sand and junk inside.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 110.JPG

Contents of the K frame structure.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 114.JPG

Ready to clean up and repaint semi gloss black.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 117.JPG

Bolt degrease. Throw them all in an ice cream container, fill partially with your favourite degreaser (AV100LL for me), put the lid on and shake like a martini . Once clean they'll go into Evaporust to clean them up ready for rust protection coating.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 123.JPG

Pressing out the lower control arm pivot shaft.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 124.JPG

Note the inner bushing sleeve stayed on the shaft. Needs to be removed to reuse the shaft.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 127.JPG

Outer shell removal tool that I bought 4 years ago, from Mancini Racing, when doing my Super Bee restoration. I had to mill the bottom face off a few thou so that the edge would fit in the small space between the LC arm socket and the bushing shell.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 131.JPG

Tool in place and tightened up.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 133.JPG

Bushing shell pressed out. Other ways to do this are welding a washer to the shells upper flange and pressing out, or threading an 1 1/4" tap into the shell and pressing out.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 136.JPG

Lower control arms in degrease.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 139.JPG

Removing 51 years of abuse, from 5 pound hammers and pickle forks, before media blasting.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 143.JPG

Canada EH... -15C and power washing the K frame. Hoping with that and degrease I can get it clean enough without having to have it media blasted up the road.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 148.JPG

I used ECS's Rust Prevention Magic on my Bee restoration. Gonna put the toaster oven away and use T9 Boeshield this round instead. $207 Cdn (w/tax and shipping) for a gallon.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 149.JPG

New "mini" starter. Figure now is the time considering the PITA to change one with headers. Old one can be a spare to have on hand.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 152.JPG

K frame has a few bends after 51 years to fix up.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 154.JPG

Bucking bar and my favourite "rock" hammer.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 158.JPG

Line up is starting for the blasting cabinet.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 156.JPG

The easy removal process, to get the inner LCA bushing sleeves off the pivot shafts.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 161.JPG

Mill within a few thou of the shaft.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 162.JPG

Use one of Dad's old wood lathe chisels to peel a slot.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 166.JPG

Pull the bushing sleeve off the shaft with zero damage.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 168.JPG

Promised myself I'd never fight with a '69 sway bar bushing install ever again, after proving to myself I could install poly's on my Bee restoration.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 172.JPG

This time I cut the buggers open on one side of the welded strap.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 175.JPG

Out with the old, then blast everything, paint everything, reinstall a new rubber bushing and then weld the strap back up and touch up the paint.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 177.JPG

Blasting cabinet line up is growing.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 183.JPG

K frame clean up in progress. Might end up at the media blaster yet..
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 186.JPG

Grinding off some of the welding splatter from the original assembly arc strike trails. "Hack and wack", there certainly wasn't any pride in workmanship. I've seen a 10 year old do better welds.
1969dartswingercleanupweek2 187.JPG

I just burn the bushings out of the springs. Heat the spring eyelet and pushem out. Then clean inside with a small flapwheel

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but can't do any of them 'till I get that mount bracket and bolt out of the way and I'm not cutting that bolt until it's a last resort.

Working away on the front suspension assembly at this point, as I have all the parts in hand to put it back together. Still waiting on the rear spring refurbishment parts...

When installing headers I use Fel Pro gaskets at the head and collector .

I tighten them cold , then get them hot and tighten again , let them get cold and tighten for the last time . Never had a failure in 100,000 miles on my van or on customer cars .

Wow, great work. I have done a lot of this same stuff myself. Hard to believe these cars are over 50 years old now. I remember tinkering w them as a teenager and the junkyards were littered with them. BTW I'm 52. No stranger to the old ailments. Lower back surgery permanently damaged nerves in left leg make my calf constantly twitch on it's own, and randomly Charley horse itself. Upper fusion in my neck. Pinched nerves there kept making my hands go numb and drop tools. Getting old sucks. To think after my sons car, I have my 67 notchback, and my 94 chevy pickup to redo.

Last edited:
First time I've been disappointed with Jamie from Megaparts. $140US + shipping for two new hood badges and they didn't even come with the 2 faced attachment tape.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 004a.jpg

No access to my painter during Covid and his secret hoard of epoxy paint in our water based county called Canada, so Tremclad it will be. Gloss for the torsion bar dip and then I'm experimenting to see what mix of gloss and flat will give me a nice semi-gloss to dip the sway bar and spray the K frame with.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 006.JPG

While the A and B body cars use the same lower control arm and bushing, they use a different pivot shaft. A body left, B body right for reference. (bushing inner sleeve is still on the B body shaft)
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 010.JPG

Original OE finish of a 1969 strut bushing washer. I've had this one in dark storage since 1977.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 011.JPG

Couriers have been "fun" this week with BS weather delays and no shows by all of them. Fortunately I decided to put the garbage out tonight and found my $1200 box of parts from National Moparts out in the rain... 1100 feet from the house.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 013.JPG

Great service CanPar.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 016.JPG

Only to open the box and find Nigel's packer F'd up and shorted me a good part of the order deciding that a packaged pair is the same as 2 on an item order vs the TWO PAIRS I paid for. $800 worth of parts in a $1200 box.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 022.JPG

Oh and the bonus of the day. Opening the mail and getting a bill from UPS for my PST front suspension kit that was supposed to be shipped in the mail. So nice of them to give me a discount because I'm in their system!! FFS ! I need to get their Crown and Anchor wheel away from them....
1969dartswinger 073.JPG

Nice of them to leave your parts almost a 1/4 mile from the house, what a joke! I've been in the pick up and delivery business in one form or another since 1981, have never done anything like that, just ridiculous. Fricken people are so damned lazy today.

This was UPS a week ago last Wednesday with my $500US of PST parts! At least the dick picked up the newspaper...
1969dartswinger 002.JPG

If I leave something at a residential stop, I always try to put it somewhere that is not easily visible from the road, if possible, even if it means I have to walk a few hundred feet. Since I drive a tractor-trailer I sometimes can't get close to the house.
I've had packages left on my front porch a few times, not ideal, but generally pretty safe, not a lot of traffic on my street.

Today was a Blast ! 7 hours of fun today..
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 024.JPG

Lets get her going..
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 027.JPG

I don't listen to an air compressor run in my shop, so I'm certainly not listening to a shop vac. Exhaust out the door. Note the booster cable ground from air inlet to water hydrant. Your nuts will love you if you remember to do that !
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 031.JPG

I run an air bleed into the back of the cabinet so the dust flows outside via the exhaust tube due to the air flow.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 029.JPG

A valuable "tool" from your vinyl collection. I use it to take the static charge off the viewing window.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 043.JPG

Time to try out that $200 jug of T-9. Last round I used ECS's Rust Prevention Magic (RPM), but I'm not gonna miss the toaster oven work after finding out T-9 works better.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 032.JPG

Filled an empty resolve container with T-9, as it has a lid for storage. Dipped each piece of hardware.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 033.JPG

Ice cream container with a 1/4" screen mesh on top of it. Lets the parts drain and the $$ run off can be dumped back in the dipping container.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 038.JPG

Transmission cross member all ready for paint.
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 048.JPG

Center/drag link nice and clean and ready for T-9. And I'll point it out again with a member here finding out his front end is assembled backwards. That is drivers side left and passenger side right!
1969dartswingercleanupweek3 049.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back