1969 Dodge Dart Swinger clean up

-
When you say restore does that mean going back to the correct wheels , grill color , seats and upholstry color , stock intake etc ....?
I like the color scheme and the engine sounds real strong .
After seeing the underside I understand why its coming apart .

LOL, because it's what I do.. since I was a little boy and my mom bought a brand new "stereo" system from Sears in '74 or so! I had a few screws left over when she came home from work 8 hours later! LOL

Perhaps you'd better understand if you had followed my Super Bee restoration.. to the last bolt. 4 years and 2800 hours.

Now Complete Restoration / Pulling my 1969 'Bee down for strip and paint

Does anyone have the same colour dash in their car?? So many shades and the column looks so light compared to the wheel and everything else around it.

Beautiful car, I totally understand the drive to make things perfect, in fact think many have at least at minimum the tendency to have things go from one thing to the next and the slippery slope/snowball effect takes over.

Been around quite a few 69 Darts, but do not specifically recognize color/name of your pad. Does not necessarily stand out as one I have seen, but like you said there are so many shades and very often just black. Not seen a prior car with that combo of interior colors, and with the pad interchangeability and deviation between factory and original repop parts, makes for even more variables and possibilities. I like a large variety of color combos, but tend towards black dash frames or matching the exterior color, with black dash pads and interior door tops matching exterior paint or gloss black. Good luck with your info search and your many forthcoming decisions. Subscribed and excited to learn and enjoy from your detailed journey.

Last edited:
Is it in it's original colour combo?
T5 copper poly was a '69 colour and I do know another fellow with a survivor in T5 with a black interior. I have no tag or sheet so can't prove the white interior is original, it may very well have been tan based on the OE headliner, dash and belts but who knows and I like it the way it is. Just hoping that I DON'T find a broadcast sheet in the car!

When you say restore does that mean going back to the correct wheels , grill color , seats and upholstry color , stock intake etc ....?
I like the color scheme and the engine sounds real strong .
After seeing the underside I understand why its coming apart .
No where did I say I was going to restore this car. As the title states it's a "clean up". How steep that slope gets is yet to be determined. I know the wheels are a year too new, but they are mint with new tires on them. Just wish the car had large bolt pattern hubs as I have a set of mint road wheels with new rubber on them that would be more correct, but of course are 4.5" pattern. I haven't researched proper color/texture of grill etc but it looks not bad at this time, but like everything it will get attention at some point. Seats, not sure what isn't correct about them?! Not touching the motor other than putting the breather and pcv on the correct sides and while at it measuring cam lift.

At least with a broadcast sheet and vin, you can get a data plate made. Neither one of my cudas are particularly valuable. One was a slant sux, the other was a 318. I didnt have a build sheet, so "The Grover" wouldent produce me data plates even though I wasnt going to misrepresent either car. I bought these to fill the screw holes in the inner fenders lol

118697769_10208202425814320_3263604924605030220_o.jpg

Mr. Ransom.. just tried to get a friend of mine for $25K for a Broadcast sheet for a Daytona. Buddy got the last laugh and found another sheet under the back seat when he got the car home! GG still owes me a car summation for my Bird from 19 years ago!

Dayum that sucks. He used to be the foremost "expert go to guy" now the Googles had made everybody an expert. I got these spoof data tags off fakebook a body site. I think I payed $25 each for them.

I thought you made a referemce to reatoring it.
Both my cars are mix and match restos... My 68 Barracuda has 67 seats and header panel ... I like the 67 seats better and the header panel is what I had .
I redid my 69 340 Swinger using white interior as well (not available on Swingers but I like the contrast).
Your car has a GTS paint scheme on the grill. Swingers had less black ... I am thinking of doing mine like yours.

Check out The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Nope, others said "looks like a fresh restoration, why would you tear it apart". I stated "a restoration isn't just body work and a shiny paint job".

Thanks for the info on interior and grill. I'll have to get my buddy Tom to look in his interiors binder again, as it appeared white was an option... but I suspect this car was old man tan.. EDIT>> I see from your Hamtrack link that White was available in the Sport and GT, but apparently not the Swinger. Tan interior with T5 was the recommended interior colour, so suspect this car was indeed T5 originally with a Tan interior trim and seats L2T.

Last edited:
dadsbee, whatever you decide is up to you. My philosophy has been built it to suit yourself. And if the detractors want to get involved, tell them it's "For Sale" & then you can build it to suit YOU!

So basically a heavy check or D check is what your aiming for. Looks like it needs a mechanical makeover.

My friend had a 69 GTS in 1980 that was T5 with a black bucket seat interior, pretty sure it was original, given that it was only 11 years old at the time, and I don't remember seeing any indication of a color change. He had the car for probably 2 years.

So basically a heavy check or D check is what your aiming for. Looks like it needs a mechanical makeover.
I'll let you know when the rear axle assembly, springs and all is on the shop floor!

Heading for the shop now to wipe all the goo off the front suspension components and give them all the wiggle test. Hoping it doesn't need parts, but in case it does I already have a full suspension kit in the "shopping cart" from last nights web browsing.. :eek:.. and if I need it the K frame and engine will be on the shop floor too!!

Check out XRF suspension parts for the greasable joints. Canadian company. They sell to jobbers only. No auto parts stores, so the they keep the quality very high. The reviews on the longevity of their ball joints are pretty impressive. Part numbers are actually moog PNs with an XRF prefix. Example upper mopar big ball joint would be XRF K702. I bought these for both my 67 and sons 69. I found a jobber warehouse that had them to sell me. Www.Mibearings.com also got XRF pitman arms from rockauto on closeout for $9.00 each. I researched these people after Moogs quality went to hell, and only the old USA made moog parts are decent but are getting harder to find.

Last edited:
Are you going polyurethane? Check out prothane. They have insert poly bushings where you dont have to press out the outer shells if they are in good shape. Just heat the rubber out and leave the outer shells intact. The bushings and new inner sleeves press right in easy peasy. They come in black and red too.

In 2001 I passed on buying a stunning ready to show 1 owner 69 GTS T5 #’s white interior, well documented car :BangHead:. Asking price was only $8,500. Son was only 3 and wife was pregnant with daughter, so “couldn’t afford it” at the time.

I will have a white interior car one day, just not been lucky enough to find another one yet.

Last edited:
Slow internet today, out here in the boonies with our point to point, so a single picture! I'm "on it".

Spent about 4 hours today going over everything mechanical and another 4 hours finding and ordering everything on my list so that I hopefully have it all by the time I have everything torn out and on the floor. About 2 grand lighter at this point... :eek:
1969dartswingercleanup 175.JPG

If you take a look at my Bee restoration thread that I linked earlier, you'll see I don't mess around once I start! Too many other things I should be working on to mess around... lol

Got about 5 hours in uninterrupted today. Just about everything from below is ready to drop the complete front and rear assemblies. Just need to disengage the upper ball joint studs and rear shocks, then the engine wiring harness and upper rad hose and then kurplunk...

Transmission fluid out. Nice and easy with an aftermarket pan c/w drain plug!
1969dartswingercleanup 180.JPG

Engine oil out, I keep saying it, but it's the best use of a green bin ever!
1969dartswingercleanup 187.JPG

Transmission lines off the radiator cooler and capped. Engine cooling system drained.
1969dartswingercleanup 193.JPG

Drive shaft out.
1969dartswingercleanup 198.JPG

Paint can caps make great transmission output shaft caps.
1969dartswingercleanup 200.JPG

Trim the OD so it'll go on a bit further.
1969dartswingercleanup 202.JPG

Smack it on and a drip rag tied in place.
1969dartswingercleanup 203.JPG

Front brake calipers off and wood block in place in case some dumbass (me) hits the brake pedal.
1969dartswingercleanup 206.JPG

Tied up out of the way so I can drop the K frame / transmission and engine as a unit.
1969dartswingercleanup 207.JPG

Amazed the shackle nuts came off and didn't just snap off.
1969dartswingercleanup 211.JPG

I'd say it's time for new bushings and a hanger bracket. All already ordered.
1969dartswingercleanup 213.JPG

Emergency brake cables detached so I can drop the rear axle assembly.
1969dartswingercleanup 215.JPG

Passenger side emergency brake cable unhooked and out of the way.
1969dartswingercleanup 216.JPG

Rubber cap, perfect size to seal off the rear brake line.
1969dartswingercleanup 218.JPG

Hard line to flex line disconnected and quickly capped so I don't drain the master cylinder.
1969dartswingercleanup 220.JPG

Look at that.. original T5 under the axle stop bumpers.
1969dartswingercleanup 221.JPG

Tried for two days now to find these stop bumpers. Part #2834929. Last hint of a supply was about 11 years ago, best I can find on the internet. Have a reproduction part manufacturer that we met at Talladega's Aero meet last year that's is going to considering tooling up.
1969dartswingercleanup 223.JPG

Just about ready to drop front and back suspension / engine / trans. Just need to unhook a bit of wiring and the top radiator hose.
1969dartswingercleanup 225.JPG

Looks like the fuel tank will clean up nicely. Looks like new. Not sure if a previous owner was oiling this thing or it was doing it itself.. LOL.
1969dartswingercleanup 226.JPG

-
Back