1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
that crank... wowwww....

any idea on what the cam was?
Crower solid flat tappet, but was setup with a gear drive, with a thrust bearing behind the cam gear, and a thrust button in front. Unfortunately, it looks like they set the cam up to center the lobes under the lifters, which is also a no-no, and it had basically no lifter rotation. Allready had worn all the crown off 3 or 4 lifters, and lobes worn pretty significantly for the small amount of run time it saw. Going back with a solid roller this time

Crower solid flat tappet, but was setup with a gear drive, with a thrust bearing behind the cam gear, and a thrust button in front. Unfortunately, it looks like they set the cam up to center the lobes under the lifters, which is also a no-no, and it had basically no lifter rotation. Allready had worn all the crown off 3 or 4 lifters, and lobes worn pretty significantly for the small amount of run time it saw. Going back with a solid roller this time
aw man, that's a bummer on the set up. i saw the gear drive and was like: woah, somebody is here to party!

any idea on what the cam specs were/are? i was just wondering if it was some absolutely outrageous grind from back in the day.

aw man, that's a bummer on the set up. i saw the gear drive and was like: woah, somebody is here to party!

any idea on what the cam specs were/are? i was just wondering if it was some absolutely outrageous grind from back in the day.
No idea on the cam specs

i know that i'm going to get absolutely roasted for this, but i see drums... is there a plan to upgrade to discs if this gets regularly driven?

(KH or 73~76 single pots, although some old skool ASE, lamb or air hearts would be rad)

i know that i'm going to get absolutely roasted for this, but i see drums... is there a plan to upgrade to discs if this gets regularly driven?

(KH or 73~76 single pots, although some old skool ASE, lamb or air hearts would be rad)
We allready talked about that, I would personally rather have discs, but the 73 up stuff moves the wheel out a bit, and I dislike that. So I'm not sure what his plans will be in that respect

Depending on how "spirited" his driving will be, drums would be fine. Hell, even Cotton Owens Charger Daytona had drums..(and the 88 engineering test car I believe) along with single pot master cylinders to boot. Fade will be there if in traffic, but otherwise more surface area with a drum.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it looks like they set the cam up to center the lobes under the lifters, which is also a no-no, and it had basically no lifter rotation. Allready had worn all the crown off 3 or 4 lifters, and lobes worn pretty significantly for the small amount of run time it saw.
I guess that might have been the reason it was parked

Maybe even home art!!! My 2 cents. Keystones on all 4 corners, scoop green to match the car. Very happy for you and glad it went to someone who appreciates it and will do it justice. Like everyone else here, can't wait for every post!

I hear ya there, but that crank looks like ****, who ever did the ballance job must have started at that shop the day before, lol. And someone cut the mains on a lathe, putting a groove around the journal that mirrors the bearing groove. Stress fracture city, not a wise move. Check out the all over the place holes drilled in the counterweights, and the "oh ****" we removed to much, let's weld a bolt in this hole action.

View attachment 1716079502

View attachment 1716079503
I saw the groove in one of the other pictures and thought what the heck is that? Holy crap on the welded balance bolt! That’s the kind of stuff that exits the pan at 6500 rpm. Good call NOT using that crank again.

We allready talked about that, I would personally rather have discs, but the 73 up stuff moves the wheel out a bit, and I dislike that. So I'm not sure what his plans will be in that respect
IF he is up for it, a scarebird kit hardly adds anything to the track, if anything at all

BUT i totally get it if he doesn't want to do that on this car

i fully understand your position.

*closes eyes and puts fingers to temples*
i see a custom offset steel wheel in the future...

PST for the bushings. Way easier to just buy a kit. Also a big help is the mopar suspension tools wont rip anything up removing and installing bushings. Mancinie has it if you cant find one to borrow. Still amazed at this car!

Not to mention PST is here on FABO also!
Thanks, I will check them out:thumbsup:

Just got home from NC and catching up on the postings..................

Gotta say I’m a little disappointed the aluminum rods and lightweight (?) crank aren’t going back in, but I understand for the goal of the car they probably are not too practical. But it would be cool to hear a street hemi buzz up like a chainsaw.
Totally understand and would be cool, we also talked about the transmission and the slick shift kit. Those items are just not practical for the way the car will be driven. Plus as Sean mentioned, we need to address where the portion of tunnel was cut to fit the trans that was in there. The new A body 4 speed is the way to go.....................I want it to be safe and reliable. :thumbsup:

I hear ya there, but that crank looks like ****, who ever did the ballance job must have started at that shop the day before, lol. And someone cut the mains on a lathe, putting a groove around the journal that mirrors the bearing groove. Stress fracture city, not a wise move. Check out the all over the place holes drilled in the counterweights, and the "oh ****" we removed to much, let's weld a bolt in this hole action.

View attachment 1716079502

View attachment 1716079503
I learned exactly what not to do during this discussion................it will now be a garage piece:thumbsup:

We did talk about this.............the car originally had disc up front as I have the original brake booster he took off, it was in the trunk. The decision at the moment, I am going to run it as is with new shoes and we will replace all the brake lines.

Depending on how "spirited" his driving will be, drums would be fine. Hell, even Cotton Owens Charger Daytona had drums..(and the 88 engineering test car I believe) along with single pot master cylinders to boot. Fade will be there if in traffic, but otherwise more surface area with a drum.
Drums it is...............:thumbsup:

Maybe even home art!!! My 2 cents. Keystones on all 4 corners, scoop green to match the car. Very happy for you and glad it went to someone who appreciates it and will do it justice. Like everyone else here, can't wait for every post!
Thank you! Home art...............Not sure my wife will like the Crank sitting in the family room, LOL.

We will see on the wheels and hood. Those decisions are changing on a daily basis. I think there may be a big piece of art hanging in the shop................

We were talking today about the hood and one of you may have the answer.................................the hood is flat, there are no raised panels on the sides. Did it come factory with a flat hood? He may have swapped the hood as well?

-
Back