1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
When I was in science class in my teens I bought some magnesium strips (I was into model rockets) you can light that stuff up, drop it in a glass of water, Brother, it keeps cooking Man!
Ran into your reply and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend that works as an engineer related to fire. He told me that magnesium burns at 1500 degrees Celcius and the reason it continues to burn in water is that at 1500 degrees it actually separates the oxygen and hydrogen atoms and the hydrogen burns on its own. He said water will eventually extinguish the fire as the water will reduce the temperature below the temperature required to separate the Oxy and Hyd atoms stopping the processs and the burning. He did not recommend a Halon or chemical extinguisher since they do not have the desired cooling effect to stop the magnesium from burning at the high temperature required to create the phenomenon. I am going to run some typical racing extinguishers by him for a recommendation on what to use.

Last edited:
Small update………engine parts are starting to arrive. Transmission is lined up with Passon performance.

Got this front plate made up as a tribute to my FIL.

Picked up 3 wheels and tires yesterday. One wheel was damaged and the replacement should be here Tuesday. US Mag Polished slots. I love them. I know some said put on Keystone and after pulling the rear wheels off that would not have worked. The BS was wrong and he had 2 spacers on each wheel and only a couple of threads to attach the wheel. I hate spacers and I am really surprised the rear wheels stayed on. We tightened them to load the car on the trailer and by the time I got home several were only hand tight, very unsafe.

Tires are Hoosier 295 60 15 and fronts are 165 80 15.

IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7617.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7611.jpeg

IMG_7610.jpeg

Small update………engine parts are starting to arrive. Transmission is lined up with Passon performance.

Picked up 3 wheels and tires yesterday. One wheel was damaged and the replacement should be here Tuesday. US Mag Polished slots. I love them. I know some said put on Keystone and after pulling the rear wheels off that would not have worked. The BS was wrong and he had 2 spacers on each wheel and only a couple of threads to attach the wheel. I hate spacers and I am really surprised the rear wheels stayed on. We tightened them to load the car on the trailer and by the time I got home several were only hand tight, very unsafe.

View attachment 1716083751

View attachment 1716083752

View attachment 1716083753

View attachment 1716083754

View attachment 1716083755

View attachment 1716083756
Cool!

car cleaned up nice!
not to sidetrack your story but I had purchased a Dart body from a friend who had it sitting in Dad's backyard for years. thought the car was in red primer. after washing and using meguiar's finish restorer(?), found out it had been painted in a firemist red. PO wondered how I painted it so quick. was a little unhappy when I told him what I had done.
great to see the car looking so good!

car cleaned up nice!
not to sidetrack your story but I had purchased a Dart body from a friend who had it sitting in Dad's backyard for years. thought the car was in red primer. after washing and using meguiar's finish restorer(?), found out it had been painted in a firemist red. PO wondered how I painted it so quick. was a little unhappy when I told him what I had done.
great to see the car looking so good!
Thank you! I agree, doesn’t take much time to make it look good :thumbsup:

That is absolutely the most beautiful 69 Dart I have ever seen. Excellent job. I'm inspired to go drive mine today. Cant wait to read more posts. Thank you Maxcustody for sharing with us.
Randy

The US Mags are a inexpensive knock off of the hard to find and expensive light-weight race Fentons. Add some Fenton stickers to the center caps and only the trained eye know the difference.

1st picture..... Butch Leal 71-72 Pro Stock Duster
2nd picture....Butch Leal (2022) and his street Duster ghosted with the scheme from his 71-72 race car
3rd picture ....Fenton look-a-like stickers on US Mag center caps

pastedImage.png

30804.jpeg

20211210_142948.jpg

Last edited:
The US Mags are a inexpensive knock off of the hard to find and expensive light-weight race Fentons. Add some Fenton stickers to the center caps and only the trained eye know the difference.

1st picture..... Butch Leal 71-72 Pro Stock Duster
2nd picture....Butch Leal (last yeat) and his street Duster ghosted with the scheme from his 71-72 race car
3rd picture ....Fenton look-a-like stickers on US Mag center caps

View attachment 1716084436

View attachment 1716084437

View attachment 1716084438
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that............. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1716083751

View attachment 1716083752

View attachment 1716083753

View attachment 1716083754

View attachment 1716083755

View attachment 1716083756
Could you tell me the specs on the wheels? Size and backspacing for the front and rears? Thank you

Man the FIL is giggling and grinning right now! The combination of green/black/wheels/stance is perfect! Then the history and the hemi take it over the top! :thumbsup::steering:

Back in the day, 7.00x15 or 7.15x15 were pretty common. I ran those same type Keystone wheels in those days also. Finding ones in useable shape these days is extremely tough.

Back in the day, 7.00x15 or 7.15x15 were pretty common. I ran those same type Keystone wheels in those days also. Finding ones in useable shape these days is extremely tough.
I looked at the current keystone and was not able to find the right BS. I definitely did not want to use spacers.

just for comparison on the Leal street ride, he has

front 15 x 5 with 2-1/2 bs (same ).....but with 205 / 70 / 15 BFGs (bigger tire)
rear 15 x 8 with 4" bs ...........................with 275 / 60 / 15 BFGs (smaller tire / 1" narrower rim)

amazing the different look you get with simple changes of wheel / tire sizes.

just for comparison on the Leal street ride, he has

front 15 x 5 with 2-1/2 bs (same ).....but with 205 / 70 / 15 BFGs (bigger tire)
rear 15 x 8 with 4" bs ...........................with 275 / 60 / 15 BFGs (smaller tire / 1" narrower rim)

amazing the different look you get with simple changes of wheel / tire sizes.
Thanks great info!

The polished slots may not be what was on the car, but they sure do fit the theme and the time period perfectly. I love aluminum polished slots. They look good.

-
Back