1970 cuda gran coupe??

-

Bruce Leee

Reaction score
So thursday I am going to look at a 70 cuda gran coupe. The guy tells me it has a factory 318 in it. It will need some work to it, but should run. What do these cars go for? Low end? and high in fully restored? What are the trouble spots I should be on the look out for? This car is supposed to be in Ice Metallic blue? No photos yet and I know that makes it hard to give a value on. I am just trying to keep myself from being totally upside down in this car if I buy it. If it has a bigger engine in it? I know it is not a hemi, but still can be fun and nice. Thoughts? Opinions?

Condition, condition, conditon.
Rusted non-running complete parts cars are 2500+.
Running junkers, that need everything 5000+

20K and up, 70 cuda's have great market value now.
In 5 years who knows....

So what you are telling me is that my 65 barracuda with a slant 6 is gaining in value vs the 70?

No its all in the condition of the 70.
It costs about the same to restore any car.
A 65 will never bring the price of a 70.

So what you are telling me is that my 65 barracuda with a slant 6 is gaining in value vs the 70?
I don’t know how you came up with that. The only way I see you coming up with that is while your tripping on mushrooms and acid while snorting Copious amounts of cocaine and drinking gallons of beer in the desert heat!
20K and up, 70 cuda's have great market value now.
In 5 years who knows....
Your right! The market could tank or skyrocket at the extreme ends.
But a Cuda is not a Gran Coupe or a Barracuda.
3, otherwise identical car bodies minus badging, trim, and power plants are all different models like it or not. Not matter what there born with.

No its all in the condition of the 70.
It costs about the same to restore any car.
A 65 will never bring the price of a 70.

I am well aware that a 65 will never bring what a 70 will, but for the same token a 65 is holding its value and or going up, while a 70 coming down some? I am not talking about the hemi. I am talking about base models. BTW Where do you find a 70 barracuda, gran coupe, or cuda for $2500 that is not fully rusted out and not usuable?

What info I am looking for is trying to figure out the major problem areas and what will kill a car. Drivable wise and value wise.

Barracuda Gran coupes are a trim level above basic Barracuda models.

I am well aware that a 65 will never bring what a 70 will, but for the same token a 65 is holding its value and or going up, while a 70 coming down some? I am not talking about the hemi. I am talking about base models. BTW Where do you find a 70 barracuda, gran coupe, or cuda for $2500 that is not fully rusted out and not usuable?

What info I am looking for is trying to figure out the major problem areas and what will kill a car. Drivable wise and value wise.
Completely mangled or rustic frame rails, completely rusted or mangled you unibodies. The aftermarket only makes so much for these cars. Now if you want to do a challenger, there are brand new challenges bodies available.

That makes sense. I hope this car is worth the look. Lets see what he is asking vs what it is worth.

Gran Coupes are more rare, and they are the Cuda equivalent of the "SE" Challengers. SO usually more creature comfort options and fake woodgrain. They use unique interior parts and options but as said - not performance options. Trouble spots are cowl areas and anything below it, inner fenders around the hood hinges and bracing, and around the windshield and read window, and everything below those...lol.

Condition, condition, conditon.
Rusted non-running complete parts cars are 2500+.
Running junkers, that need everything 5000+

$2,500?!!! Maybe 20 years ago. You couldn't get a beat up, rusted out 70-74 E-body for $2,500 when I bought my '72 Challenger 10 years ago.

Yeah, I don't care if it's a "barracuda" and not a "cuda". If you get a rusted out hulk that needs 90% of it's metal replaced in any kind of '70-74 Barracuda for less than $5k you've done well. If it rolls and kind of looks like a car you're looking at $8-$10k. If it runs and drives and doesn't look like it was painted by a kindergartener it'll be $15-$20k.

$2,500?!!! Maybe 20 years ago. You couldn't get a beat up, rusted out 70-74 E-body for $2,500 when I bought my '72 Challenger 10 years ago.

Yeah, I don't care if it's a "barracuda" and not a "cuda". If you get a rusted out hulk that needs 90% of it's metal replaced in any kind of '70-74 Barracuda for less than $5k you've done well. If it rolls and kind of looks like a car you're looking at $8-$10k. If it runs and drives and doesn't look like it was painted by a kindergartener it'll be $15-$20k.
This has been my experience too. I don't think I've seen a running, driving ebody for under 10k in at least 25yrs. I certainly haven't seen ANYTHING for under 5k.

I looked at a '70 340 Cuda shell a while back. It was pretty solid and had a clean title. No drivetrain, a couple boxes of parts, and that was it. The guy was asking $7,000 and I was the first to look at it. I dragged my feet before going to the bank and driving back to the guys house. The car sold for almost $9,000 before I got back there.

I will know a lot more when I go to look at it. Lets see what happens! Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

I bought a 70 cuda, 340 4-speed rusty but complete this year for $2500.
A rust free 70 Challenger for $4000.
And a roller 72 cuda drag car for $1800
All within the last year.
There are plenty of cars still out there but you have to be constantally looking.

There are plenty of cars still out there but you have to be constantally looking.

I never see prices like these anywhere

I bought one of the cars off this site.

Sireland, was that 72 cuda drag car the "started" back half deal? What kind of shape was the sheet metal that was actually left? Thought pretty hard on that one myself.

Sireland, was that 72 cuda drag car the "started" back half deal? What kind of shape was the sheet metal that was actually left? Thought pretty hard on that one myself.
Yes, the sheetmetal was pretty nice.
The top cowl was butchered, I bought a replacement panel.

I am constantly looking. Maybe not quite as hard because I mainly just look for fun, not necessarily to purchase. Although I’ve certainly purchased because I found a good price in something I didn’t need...

Those cars must be flaming disasters at those prices. If you spend $5k just in sheetmetal that’s not a good deal anymore. And regardless, you’d never see prices like that on the west coast. You can’t touch an E-body out here for anything near those prices.

-
Back