1970 DUSTER 440 4spd 8 3/4 posi

-
Well, I don't think it will be done for my birthday. I just have too many little things to do to make it ready for the VI. thats OK though. I am still ahead of scedule. I think it is safe to say that I WILL have it insured in under two weeks ( hpoing for next week) we'll have to wait and see. Have the 3 inch exhaust almost finished.

Phil

hey phil hows it going?

looks like your making some good progress on your duster.

The cuda is coming along slowly, i have put it on hold until summer so i can repaint my riviera and sell it. I just bought a 69 dart this weekend for parts for the cuda, my plan is to swap the frame over to the cuda. Anywho..

cya

All was going well untill sat may 31st. I have been sick with the flu since then. I havn't been able to go to work, or have any energy to even think about the car. I slept till 5pm yesterday. Who gets the flu in June?

I havn't updated my progress, I completed some and found a problem befor I got sick. unfortunatly my exhaust doesn't fit. What I mean is that my leaf springs are re-located inwards about 2.5 inches, and it just so happens that that is the exact spot that the exhaust pipes should go. Now, I can't have the exhaust pipes in place without them hitting the gas tank or the leaf spring. and in order to pass the vehicle inspection. it can't be hitting anything. And i do have to have exaust pipes to pass the inspection.

ARG

and to boot, I can't work on the car till I am better, and I have to help my mom move across province on June 19th!!!!

everything was going soo smoothly. I guess this is where the curve balls start to come.

This sucks

Phil

MORE VIDEOS

These where taken on May 30th.

Take a look at the exhaust pipes. The drivers side doesn't look too bad, but that is the best I can get the passanger side one. and it is hitting the tank that way.

I havn't worked on the car much since then, though I did put the bumper and tail lights on after I shot the videos

Take a look, and let me know what you think about the sound of it.

I have stoped into a couple shops and talked to them about my exhaust. Turns out both places say I CAN have exhaust exiting out the side befor the rear tire.

So I have a question. I just want to get my car done, and not worry about it. I need to rig up my Ebrake cables, and rig up some exhaust, and thats about it. Do you think I should just send it to the shop and get then to do it? i just want it done, and I want to have the car on the road for a while so I can work any bugs out of it.

an inspection is about $100, and shop time is $90/Hour. I'm thinking I should be able to have it on the rd for about $500.

What should I do?
I have to move my mom in 2 weeks across the province, and then its only one month till the wedding, and I still have to get the brakes done on my fiances 65' cuda. and i just got over the flu.

I don't really have the money, and I don't really have the time either.

Just looking for a little advice, suport, Ideas.

Phil

I'll post another post reguarding this, and see what people think.

For those Who don't know, I have been building my duster for the last couple monthes, so that it is ready for my wedding on July 19th. I am almost done. the things I have left to do are...

1. Finish E brake cables ( harder because it has frame conectors, so some fabricating needs to be done)
2. Finish instalation of exhaust. ( the problem is my leaf springs have been relocated, and I bought 3 inch exhaust, and it now won't go over the diff, and between the shocks, leaf springs, and gas tank without hitting something)
3. Vehicle inspection. ( I can't insure it till it passes an inspection because it is from Washington, and I am in BC canada.)

I have stoped into a couple shops and talked to them about my exhaust. Turns out both places say I CAN have exhaust exiting out the side befor the rear tire. Good to hear!

So I have a question. I just want to get my car done, and not worry about it. I need to rig up my Ebrake cables, and rig up some exhaust, and thats about it. Do you think I should just send it to the shop and get them to do it? i just want it done, and I want to have the car on the road for a while so I can work any bugs out of it.

an inspection is about $100, and shop time is $90/Hour. I'm thinking I should be able to have it on the rd for about $500. ( I have all the parts, its just shop time)

What should I do?
I have to move my mom in 2 weeks across the province, and then its only one month till the wedding, and I still have to get the brakes done on my fiances 65' cuda for the wedding. Then I have to do wedding stuff... and i just got over the flu.

I don't really have the money, and I don't really have the time either.

Just looking for a little advice, suport, Ideas.

Phil

this is a link to the car http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33454

and here is the latest clip/pics

Oh, and Please don't just say GET IT DONE! with out haveing suport behind your reasoning. too many people like spending other people's money...but this person doesn't havemuch to spend. don't get me wrong...I do want it done.

and I am sorry I spelled Money wrong.

WOW,not an easy question man....But sounds like you are not gonna be happy until its done and you can move on AYE?And do we ever have the money?Get what you can done for exhaust for now and do the 3 in later. sounds like you really want it ready for hoefully your only wedding so I would do it right the way you want it . Just my 2!

got to love canada!.

As for the exaust. its 3 inch, or NONE. it didn't have any exhaust, so I have to make this work.

You are a lot closer to being done than many thought you would. First off, since when does any groom have any say or responsibilities at their wedding lol. Between your fiancee and her bridesquad, everything will be taken care of. Just nod.

The exhaust looks like it will need some outside intervention. If you really set on the 3" working, you might have to pay. As far as e-brake fabbing, from what we've seen so far, you should be able to do what is needed. And brakes? again an afternoon.

I think you have enough time, you're just panicking...

Grant

Lighten the workload. Do the e-brake cable yourself and send the car to the shop to get the exhaust done. Let the shop worry about the exhaust because they suggest they can make the 3" work for you. Then you reduce you cost to about $300-$350 after everything is said and done.

I see the car is a 4-speed, so the e-brake is pretty important, but why not just park it in gear and worry about the e-brake later? Or, if it wouldn't weaken them, try drilling holes in your frame connector and running the cable inside it. I don't see why it should take more than half a day to get it hooked up right, I mean you just have to move the cable a bit, right?

3" or none? that pretty big, i like my 2" cuz it raps like a **** hehe plus we got all the pipe free (from the shipyard,old boiler tubing)

OK, here's my .02 US (used to be worth more than it is today). It's a matter of priorities. What's the biggest priority that you have the most control over? As previously stated, I'm sure it's not the wedding plans. Just about all grooms are only along for the ride (no pun intended) regarding their wedding. Just nod and say 'Yes dear', you'll find out early that's the only way to get the last word.
As far as the car, it sounds like it would be best to farm out the exhaust work. My only word of caution, from experience, is that exhaust exiting out the side in front of the rear wheels will (1) be noisy, especially when side windows are open, and (2) haze over your shiny rear wheels meaning you're going to constantly be in 'polishing mode'.
Slow down, take a deep breath, and get done what you can get done. There's always tomorrow.

I agree with what has been said above. Fix the E-brake issue and let a muffler shop fix your exhaust...if you want to keep 3" make them dump right before the differential and you won't have to worry about it fitting in between your leaf springs and fuel tank.

Nice car...btw!

I agree with dump the exhaust in front of the axle. My 2" comes out in front of the tires and drags all the time in driveways etc, and the car sits pretty high in the rear

We installed my sub-frame connectors in about two hours and that included welding them in! Drilled a new hole, released the cable from the old hole, put it in the new hole, re-adjusted the cable. Done!

thanks for all the replies.

as far as leaving the Ebrake cable..I can't. It will fail the inspection. I can't insure it with a failed inspection. This is a big inspection, and the hole car gets looked over.

Us canadians have some great rules up here, sounds prety easy for all you to get an out of country car insured. as far as exhaust goes. If it was as easy as adding dumps on the back I would be done by now. But the vehicle inspection stipulates that the exhaust system mys leave the perimeter of the vehicle.
Dumps will = fail

The issue i am having with my ebrake is that it doesn't look like the same set up as my other A bodies. This one just has one long cable from the hand brake. it comes through the floor on the drivers side of the car, on the outside of the frame/connectors. The 2 e brake cables from each wheel will both meet up on the drivers side rear, but there is no original mounting aparatus for them, I don't know if it got cut off by the previouse owner or what.

The way it looks, I have to weld an andle iron somewhere with two holes drilled in it for the two e brake cables, and then shorten the cable coming from the hand brake.

I have a Mig welder, I think the exaust would be easier ;) but both require a little more time then just a day.

Phil

here is the deal. I will work on it till June 19th. On wich day I will be helping my mom move, after which, I will get whatever isn't finished by then finished at a shop.

As far as wedding stuff, and smiling and nodding. Trust me I do that. but unfortunatly, we are both big procrastinators, and if I am not envolved, we might be drinking spiked orange juice that we bought in a big tub from mcdonalds, and ordering chines food for delivery for 130 people. I want the day to be memorable, but not that kind of memorable.

Phil

started to take my exhaust out. Looks like I did a couple of the clamps too tight. any sugestions on getting the pipes apart?

You might need 2 inspections, a federal and Provincial inspection, make sure your shop can do both, not all shops are licenced to do the Federal inspection.

Talk to a few shops and see which ones are a little more lieniant, some shops can be real grinders because they usually get the work on the things they catch wrong.

Ask them specifically about the Exhaust, I have a feeling for a federal and provincial inspection that it might not be allowed to exit before the rear tire.

Another part they might bite you on is the relocation of the rear leaf springs, hopefully they don't see it but they might want a reciept from a ticketed welder for the welding job on the frame, only a ticketed welder can weld on any part of a frame between the front and rear tires.

Hope everything works out and you get the car passed and insured before the wedding, by the sounds of it its just some finishing details.

My vote is to put up as much of the exhaust as you can and take the rest to a shop to get the over axle segment bent and installed.

was lookin at your engine pics and it looks to me like you are missing the steel bar that goes accross the front of your valley pan, thought i could only see the bolts going through the pan itself. Most likley it will start to leak there,,check to see if the rear one is there too

-
Back