"1970 Pro Touring Dart Build"

-
I'm hitting the spot in the build where I'm tired of spending money and time on the project. As much as I'd like to keep going just to get it done I don't know if I can or even want to right now.
It will get the paint on it and then parked in my garage for a while.
I haven't done a lot of the other stuff I used to enjoy just because I needed the money to fund the build. Tired of saving every last dime to put towards it.
Time for a break. I will post the paint progress pics and we will see what happens from there.

I can appreciate the sentiment. Back off and take a breather.
Relax as long as necessary and don't feel bad....smile a little.
Look what you've accomplished so far. The dirty work is largely
done and after you've rested (physically, mentally and financially)
you will feel refreshed and ready to go. It doesn't matter if it
takes a week or a year. Just don't abandon the ship.

I can appreciate the sentiment. Back off and take a breather.
Relax as long as necessary and don't feel bad....smile a little.
Look what you've accomplished so far. The dirty work is largely
done and after you've rested (physically, mentally and financially)
you will feel refreshed and ready to go. It doesn't matter if it
takes a week or a year. Just don't abandon the ship.

Solid advice.

Yea I hear that man I'm in the same boat. Seems like it keeps suckin you dry physically and financially. Just kick it for a while and come back to it when you are clear headed and rested. When I do that it seems to breathe new life into the build. Orrrrre you can sell it to me real cheap and I'll finish it for you!! Ha!

It won't get abandoned. To much time, effort and money into it to let it sit.
Like you said most of the hard work is done.

Just need to take a breather from it. Most people take years to build a car and I see why.

I am kinda at the point with mine, when you are working on it and out of the corner of your eye, you see something else that needs to be done on th car. It is a little depressing sometimes. Like very well put above, just take a little break and get back to it.

Solid advice.

NO !!!!!! Bad advice....Spend, Spend, Spend. Remember according to the mayan calendar the world is going to end in December so rack up them there credit cards and see your dream become a reality before it all comes to an end.:protest::protest::protest::protest:

You to jrlegacy23....lets see those Denny small block k frames on the road before it's too late .

Hot Rodding can be a M#ther #ucker.

If I want to run the sway bar (hellwig 6908 ) the shocks have to go back to the original location because the sway bar wasn't made to clear front mounted shocks.
For the shocks to fit back in the stock location I've got to move the axle back to the stock location on the springs.
Then to find out there is little to no clearance between the springs and the sway bar ends. The spring relocation boxes were put flush to the outside of the frames. If i would have centered them it probably wouldn't have been an issue!
2012-09-12_21-33-45_184.jpg

Having issues finding the correct shock to go with since its lowered. I believe i need something in the range of 12.5" compressed 19.5 extended.

Then then I find out the paint is going to cost more then planned and my painter wants an extra $500 because its a 3 stage.
I can't blame him for wanting more, it can be a real pain in the rear to shoot from what I've heard. So now I have to find a nice base coat clear coat that I like.
Checking to see if the 08 Viper Very Orange pearl is base/clear or not.

WARNING: NSFW.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...mods-on-my-08-Orange-Coupe!-56k-haha-nice-try

I'm up for any advice on resolving those issues.
I could forget about the rear anti sway bar but it would be really nice to have. Plus I spent the $$$ on it and don't want to take a loss on selling it.
Could also cut out the upper shock mount bar that is welded in. Remove the stock mounts from the trunk and move the bar back.

I definitely have more fun designing then building. :D

Okay heres my Disclaimer so I don't get sued.....I don't believe that crap so if you follow my advice it's on you to pay for your moparts.

NO !!!!!! Bad advice....Spend, Spend, Spend. Remember according to the mayan calendar the world is going to end in December so rack up them there credit cards and see your dream become a reality before it all comes to an end.:protest::protest::protest::protest:

You to jrlegacy23....lets see those Denny small block k frames on the road before it's too late .

LOL, now that's funny. Ross, did you see how fast your Dad's Barracuda went?

I understand totally . I have Been on my car for three years now and no end in sight . I was thanking maybe a year and it would be done. No chip foose going on in my garage . I have stud back and taken a few brakes from the build and after awhile I get the bug again . It's the big parts like engine,trans,rearend, that kill me. The small parts like door handles,trim clips,headliner clips and so on and on and on lol . I just buy when I have extra and don't buy if I can make the bills first . I went threw a divorce and I'm taking care of my four kids with no help from there mom .so things are tight .but I will not give up . Just when I thank things are bad I look around and see some have it worse. So it may take me five years but the end will be the pay off . Good luck you will get it done one steep forward at a time

I hear you man, story of my entire build. But I really enjoy the problem solving (I still have a lot to go though).

Sounds like you are kind of out of luck on the rear sway bar. I can't see the pic to have a good idea of what's going on. Can you modify the bar to make it work? What about contacting Hellwig and exchanging the bar for a custom shaped bar that will work for your application? It's more money, but what about a modular bar? I ordered custom length and sized bars for my application and am building my mounts and arms. Just a thought. Otherwise, your idea of moving the shock mount bar back "might" be your best option.

Check out RideTech for shocks, they are building awesome shocks these days in a variety of lengths and can help you get the right shock for your application. They do great work!

Odds are the paint can be bought as a base/clear. Take the paint code to a shop that mixes and see what they can do in a base/clear.

Whenever I got stuck on something, I would just move on to the next item on the list. Sooner or later a solution will come to you.
I had my Hellwig bar bent to fit my application ( they didn't have a bar to fit a narrowed 9" in a 63 Dart.....) I made a template out of wood and brought to my local spring shop. He charged me $75 and did a great job, fits like a glove. (Just don't heat it..)

Then to find out there is little to no clearance between the springs and the sway bar ends. The spring relocation boxes were put flush to the outside of the frames. If i would have centered them it probably wouldn't have been an issue!

Don't put the swaybar links between the sway bar and springs, mount the swaybar links on the inside of the sway bar and then make a spacer to the frame. This is not mine, but like this:
attachment.php

If you still don't have enough room, do like above mentioned, have the bar "tweaked" a little.

Thank you for trying but that's how I have it. The head of the bolt contacts the leaf spring on both sides.

I'm going to try the carriage bolt. If that doesn't do the trick and I can't come up with a good solutions, I will let you know.

Thank you.

The carriage bolts won't work, It will still hit.

Options-
A: I cut out the spring boxes and put new ones in but moved for sway bar clearance.
B: Say to hell with the anti sway bar, move the axle back 1.5" to were i had it.

I could go either way. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

The carriage bolts won't work, It will still hit.

Options-
A: I cut out the spring boxes and put new ones in but moved for sway bar clearance.
B: Say to hell with the anti sway bar, move the axle back 1.5" to were i had it.

I could go either way. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Move the axle back into the stock location.

Reason is if you ever want to run some bigger tires they have the possibility of rubbing at the back of the wheel well.
I have 325/50/15's on mine. Some guys were trying to tell me to center the tire in the wheel well. I am glad I did not listen to them cause the tire would have never fit. I would have had to cut all my link bars back down and put it where it is now. Just an FYI

I'm hitting the spot in the build where I'm tired of spending money and time on the project. As much as I'd like to keep going just to get it done I don't know if I can or even want to right now.
It will get the paint on it and then parked in my garage for a while.
I haven't done a lot of the other stuff I used to enjoy just because I needed the money to fund the build. Tired of saving every last dime to put towards it.
Time for a break. I will post the paint progress pics and we will see what happens from there.

WOW,someone else that's dealing with emotions just like I am !!Went to our local cruise in last night and someone asked how my Dart was coming along. I can honestly say it's at a stand still.Between health issues and life in general,I really feel my Get Up and Go,Got Up and Left !!

Move the axle back into the stock location.

Reason is if you ever want to run some bigger tires they have the possibility of rubbing at the back of the wheel well.
I have 325/50/15's on mine. Some guys were trying to tell me to center the tire in the wheel well. I am glad I did not listen to them cause the tire would have never fit. I would have had to cut all my link bars back down and put it where it is now. Just an FYI

The math is telling me its almost a 28" tall tire. Did you have to trim the front of the quarter to give you more room in the wheel well since you kept the axle in the stock location?

-
Back