1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed

-
The nice work continues as i said before in my previous posts.
You've got talent, man!
Setbacks are just part of the process, and you've got it covered.
I can't wait for the progress you make this winter!
Keep it up, yes, you are inspiring all of us!

Yes, its pretty rust free. Its going to need a small patch on the drivers 1/4 and thats it. I'll start a resto thread on it once I gather up some parts and $. I love your attention to detail and that your going the extra mile to take care of all the unseen areas on your dart.

Nice clean car to start with, I also remember when this was for sale. I see your car was built to be exported (guess that didn't happen). Your car is the first that I have seen with that code and I have followed these Swingers for a few years now. Pretty rare being a 3 speed stick car also, think around 950 were built opposed to 4,400or so 4 speed cars. Any history you can tell us on your car (well tell us when you start your own build thread)

OK sorry for jacking your thread (or consider it a bump for you!) Great build as everyone has said, can't wait to see it done, I will make the trek to ALTA to check it out and photograph it for sure! So many Swingers/Mopars/cars in general being saved because of guys like you, me and everyone on this site! (And AMD!!!) Inspirational work, keep measuring, grinding, cutting, priming, welding, sanding etc...

The nice work continues as i said before in my previous posts.
You've got talent, man!
Setbacks are just part of the process, and you've got it covered.
I can't wait for the progress you make this winter!
Keep it up, yes, you are inspiring all of us!

Thanks! as long as my front clip arrives without shipping damage i will have no more setbacks Sheet metal wise.

Nice clean car to start with, I also remember when this was for sale. I see your car was built to be exported (guess that didn't happen). Your car is the first that I have seen with that code and I have followed these Swingers for a few years now. Pretty rare being a 3 speed stick car also, think around 950 were built opposed to 4,400or so 4 speed cars. Any history you can tell us on your car (well tell us when you start your own build thread)

OK sorry for jacking your thread (or consider it a bump for you!) Great build as everyone has said, can't wait to see it done, I will make the trek to ALTA to check it out and photograph it for sure! So many Swingers/Mopars/cars in general being saved because of guys like you, me and everyone on this site! (And AMD!!!) Inspirational work, keep measuring, grinding, cutting, priming, welding, sanding etc...

I was looking at that 3 speed 340 car when it was for sale in California and i was tempted to buy it. I read somewhere about that export code… i remember it saying it had to do with guys ordering cars from Vietnam and to be waiting for them when they got home. it got the export code because it was ordered overseas. They were never meant to leave the country but they got the code anyway. I don't know if its a bunch of BS but apparently its on a bunch of E/B Body cars as well.

Thanks! you do photography? It's nice AMD makes so many parts now and this site is a huge help for getting hard to find parts (thanks Lee Robinson)

I just came across your build. You are doing some of the best work
I have seen. I will be watching as you progress with the front clip.
Great documentation and inspiration for us trying to learn and apply
to our own projects.
You will be driving one of the best when done. Congrats.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad to hear it's inspiring others.

Hopefully tomorrow i will have my front clip! I will finally be able to start on it again, :cheers:

I got my front clip Tuesday. I want to thank Lee Robinson on this forum! He was a great guy to deal with and pretty much saved this build... After finding rotten frame rails I almost called it quits.

It made it all the way from California to Edmonton without damage thanks to Lee securing it well to the skid.

Thanks Lee!

Had to stand it up to fit it in my truck.

After about 10hrs of scraping undercoat off with a torch and scraper it was ready to be dropped off at the blasters

Blasted!

Epoxied!

I also got a set of rear rails from Lee too. Just in case I find another surprise...

Now my thread will come back alive and I'll get this rust repair done now that I have all the metal to fix it!

don't forget about your vin numbers on the passenger side inner fender on the top. weld it back in.

don't forget about your vin numbers on the passenger side inner fender on the top. weld them back in.

My original inner fenders are so rotten the Vin is long gone. I still have the one in the passenger side trunk gutter which is in perfect condition, so at least the body still retains one vin stamping.

That looks like a very nice front clip. I can't imagine the work involved in getting that in place and keeping everything in proper alignment.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! I've been super busy with house renos and haven't had a chance to get working on the car.. hopefully I will get a chance to work on it this coming weekend. I will be sure to post a lot of pics of grafting the front clip on the car. I will leave the hood on the car and bolt the fenders to the front clip to maintain the gaps so it should be pretty straight forward.. Hopefully! Haha

Here's my restored shifter (rechromed and rebuilt/zinced)

Fender bolt kit.

awesome job so far. im loving all the mopar guy in edmonton, im hoping to start on my dart in dec

Looks good.
Hey, how much did it cost to have the shifter handle re-chromed?
Where did you get it done?
I have one that needs to be re-chromed.
P.M. me if you don't want to post it.

awesome job so far. im loving all the mopar guy in edmonton, im hoping to start on my dart in dec

Thanks!

Where are you gonna separate the clip at? Using the cowl too?

Im not clipping it with the cowl, but I am going to use the upper cowl once the front clip is on because my cowl vent is all bent from someone jumping on it at one time. (See pics below on how I am clipping it)

I finally got a chance to get into the garage and from now on I will focus on the car on weekends and once house renos are done I will do weekdays after work to get it into the bodywork stage. I removed all the cowl assembly today and have it ready for how I am going to clip it.
My plan is to jack the car way up and tilt the clip to get the torsion bar crossmember in between the rockers and then swing it up to the firewall and push it into place. There should be minimal alignment since I left the upper inner fender to cowl brackets in place and the torsion bar crossmember has indents. I will bolt the fenders on before welding too. I also have to add some more bracing to the car before I take the sawzall and plasma cutter to it.

Dartnut and Swinger340canuc I have been looking for a shifter assembly since I got the car and one came up on EBay rechromed and rebuilt for $450 so I'm not sure what rechroming a shifter would cost?

A second on Dartnut's question Randy, I have one that needs rechroming also.

I don't know if this helps you in Canada.

Mine was redone last winter as a Christmas present from my daughters at hurstshiftersonline.com (he also has a ebay store)

Scott was great to deal with in both the information and the reconditioning departments. Everything was redone short of redoing the zinc coating on the shifter mechanism since he thought mine was in good enough condition, he did re chrome the handle also.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 727
hell of a job your doing a couple of questions here are you doing the bodywork like on the rockers and quarters befor epoxy primer or primer then the bodywork also I see you using fiberglass filler is it better then regular plastic filler and what brand do you recommend im about to start this process soon thanks

nice job on separating the clip from the non useb parts

Thanks!

I don't know if this helps you in Canada.

Mine was redone last winter as a Christmas present from my daughters at hurstshiftersonline.com (he also has a ebay store)

Scott was great to deal with in both the information and the reconditioning departments. Everything was redone short of redoing the zinc coating on the shifter mechanism since he thought mine was in good enough condition, he did re chrome the handle also.

That shifter looks great!

hell of a job your doing a couple of questions here are you doing the bodywork like on the rockers and quarters befor epoxy primer or primer then the bodywork also I see you using fiberglass filler is it better then regular plastic filler and what brand do you recommend im about to start this process soon thanks

I have not done any bodywork with regular filler on the car except for the upper door panel areas. I use short strand fiberglass filler over all my welds and lead seam areas because it's waterproof and if there are any pinholes in the welds it will prevent moisture coming thru. All metal will give the same results but it's harder to work with. Don't use regular body filler over any metal repairs or factory lead seams or you'll be doing it over in the near future. When I'm ready for the bodywork stage I will orbital the epoxy with 80grit to etch it and then do all my filler work over it. So there will be a barrier between the bare metal and filler so if there is ever a chip or anything it won't rust, since filler is like a sponge for water/moisture.

Hope this helps.

Very nice work!! And I thought I was the only one with a over budget, 3 year restoration, 1970 EV2, 340, 4 spd:blob: Stevens Performance and AMD were a big factor for this saved rust bucket.

It the journey one travels that is the greatest reward

He is a little inspiration for the finish line. I am hoping to to have it on the street and my first heavy acceleration/speeding ticket in February. I did crate my correct cast date 340 short block and decided to run the 360/550 BHP engine.

Attachments

• d-20.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 716
  • d-18.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 733
  • D-111.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 730
  • D-14.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 708
  • D-12.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 735
  • D-13.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 703
  • D-4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 723
  • D-8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 728
  • D-5.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 732
  • d-21.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 764
Thanks!

That shifter looks great!

Thank you, I am very happy with the way the shifter turned out.

I'm also so very much impressed with your build and the skills that you have to take on such a major reconstruction, I am glad to see that you are working on it again.

Thanks guys for the comments! Sorry I haven't been updating this thread.. I've had a few things to deal with and haven't had a chance to get working on the car again. I will be back at it this weekend and I took two weeks off to devote to the car, so I hope to get a lot done!

-
Back