1971 Demon Street Build

-
they're dakota headers. Rumor is they won't fit (along with my calculations, so I bought a set of Hooker long-tubes.

Starting engine wiring :)

DSCN3821.jpg

Awesome looking Demon! Not sure why I think they look so much better than the Duster's (sorry!), but somehow I just find them a lot more aesthetically pleasing. If I ever see a nice one I'd probably end up with it. :-D

Good work so far, keep it up! 8)

So I decided to go another route with the rendering. Something a little more 'sleeper':

Demon3revised.jpg

Also, here's a video of her running:

Sounding good! :cheers:

The rendering looks good too, although I'd have to say I like the blackout on the other one. Maybe keep the dog dishes and the blackout? Always like the hood scoops though. 8)

She sounds very nice Brian. I like the new rendering too. Did you ever get a chance to see if them Dakota headers will fit?

Unfortunately they don't. They would be fine where they dump and everything, the only issue is that they would strike the shock towers. They measure 33" across where the shock towers are, and there's only 29" of space between them.

Wow, I just love those demons. Makes me want to start working on mine. You guys in Cali are so lucky with your cars and how solid they are. I bought mine with rust issues and not drivable for $4000. I bet you pain about 1/2 that. Very lucky guy.

Phil

Wow, I just love those demons. Makes me want to start working on mine. You guys in Cali are so lucky with your cars and how solid they are. I bought mine with rust issues and not drivable for $4000. I bet you pain about 1/2 that. Very lucky guy.

Phil

No, I paid $4000 for a non-running /6 :angry7:.

As for the Demon, it's coming along:

DSCN4358.jpg

I picked up a B-body 8.75 for her last Monday, so I am almost ready to roll.

Great thread- I love seeing the progress. I vote for the blackout treatment- looked awesome.

Wow, nice ride! You're putting mine to shame...the hood is gone but I've got a nice auto console for ya!

That is an awesome find man Im drooling now. That is also great only trunk pan needs replaced.

If you go with any of the motors you listed there used to be a Hemi head kit that gave you 1.5HP per cubic inch. I dont know if these are still around or not.

What ever motor you go with maybe think about the GSS that Mr. Norm did and put a blower on it and keep it a plain jane looking car.

Great looking project and keep us up todate on it and good luck man. I love the Demons and Dusters one of my favorite A bodies.............there are so many.

Everytime I see your car at the beginng of your thread,with the hubcaps still on,it reminds me of my grandpa's '71 Demon he had. His was around the same color green,plad(sp?)checkerd seats,and a 6 banger. Man that car was immaculate when he passed away,and wished I would bought from auction then.

Oh on a side note too Sharpie, I see there you have one of the plastic housing fuel filter on your engine. A car buddy of mine lost his '75 vette due to a cracked plastic fuel filter which then caught fire as he was driving it from a car cruise. Sorry don't want to send you in a panic.

John

A couple more updates:

I got a compressor in December. I love it, and it will make my winter project a lot easier:

DSCN4865.jpg

This is the start of the project - major overhaul on all of the drivetrain. The engine's getting a new paint job, the steering box is getting replaced by either a firm feel or steer and gear box, and the transmission's getting entirely rebuilt. Along with the new B-body 8.75" rear, I think I will finally be safe and happy driving the Demon how I want to.

DSCN4863.jpg

DSCN4862.jpg

Well the Demon saw the dyno on Saturday. Impressive numbers for a home-built 5.9L Magnum rebuild, I'd say!

Only 3137 lbs!

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

By my calculations, that's 341 or so to the crank! Plus I have a lot to go in carb tuning and timing, so I could potentially get it up to 300 to the wheels or 375 to the crank!

Thats pretty impressive for basically factory motor....Love the green. I think every 3rd car was painted green back then. Keep us posted.

-
Back