1971 Dodge Demon Value

-

cdawglean

Reaction score
If you guys can give me a hand getting me in a general direction of a good buying price on a 71 Demon, it has a 95 360 with 4b carb, headers and flowmaster exhaust. Rebuilt tranny with only 40 miles on it. Top end of engine also was rebuilt at same time as tranny. Body is good condition however it does have some body filler cracks up front left fender and some dents on trunk lid and back bumper. I know I can't get an exact amount but want to know what they are going for around the country. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• demon 1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 669
  • rear left.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 643
  • demon front left.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 642
  • rear right.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 645
  • rear.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 621
I'm guessing bench, with auto on the colume, standard dash, 8 3/4 ?? Better make sure it runs good and take it for a long ride I would be scared of the 40 miles since rebuild! Maybe 4 to 5k if it runs and shifts nice.

4-5K, I have to think you are undervaluing???

Nope.. I'm guessing there is a lot more wrong with the body than what you said here "Body is good condition however it does have some body filler cracks up front left fender and some dents on trunk lid and back bumper". If it has body filler cracks at a front fender imagine how much there is in the rocker/quarters, also check the frame.

Looks like a nice vehicle. Has the car been run and maintained? Or is it (like many of our cars) a 'resurrection' after a long period of neglect. In particular, what's the condition of suspension, brake system, electrical. Any upgrades, (disk, sway bar...?). Might be fine, but I've learned not to assume. Are you looking to make it 'right' or get in and drive? As said the visible body work hints at the possibility of hidden issues. Where is it from (rust?) If looking for a driver, I'd probably touch it up and go. Any idea what mileage on engine, or at least get a compression check. You would hope they didn't slap heads on a tired block, but then there's that thing about not assuming again. Good luck with it.

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars_zps1c073042.png

5k would be mAx based on the rough body. Everything you posted doesn't make it a hi value, different engine , tranny rebuilt, heAds re/done . This raises more questions than answers, you live in the land of excellent shape used cars. Unless $$ are burning a hole in your pocket, the best thing is it's a demon. Lawrence

Here is some more info from the seller, I still need to check the quarter panels and undercarriage, but I know the guy and there most likely wont be any frame damage and the quarters at quick glance look good. The car is a California car so rust is highly unlikely, I feel the front bondo work looks thin so perhaps just repairing a dent and improper prep. I'm not too concerned with the paint since I paint aircraft in the Air Force and have become pretty handy with a spray gun. The body work is something I feel I can handle if its minor. Anyways keep the estimates coming.

FROM SELLER:---------------------
5.9L 360 Magnum engine with new Top end Rebuild Brand new Holly Street Avenger 670 Carb Magnum Heads Headers Dual 40 Series Flow master Exhaust New Rebuilt 727 torque flight transmission (only 40 miles since rebuild) New Northern race Radiator with shroud Brand new front disc brakes Rebuilt rear drums Brand new Chrome Brake booster w/master cylinder Hood pins CD player
8 1/4 rear end

Drives great and starts every time. Just had rear end flush, radiator flush, new oil change, new spark plugs and wires, new ignition coil.

You ask and don't like the answer why ask? 5K would be the max as it is nothing special. So go ahead and hand him 12k just don't come back whining.

5k max. You cant renew the bottom end of that engine without taking the top end apart again. They are all money pits. Lower the initial investment the better.

one way to figure the value of a car ya want to buy, IS figure what that car will bring on the market, if advertised for a reasonable amount of time IF it is a TOTALLY restored, good runner, needing pretty much NOTHING!. then take the car ya want to buy ( or sell) ....start subtracting OFF what it will take the buyer to make THAT car to the condtion as the RESTORED one???? LOL
really, dEMONS ARE NOT NEAR AS COMMON AS a duster, ( dedmon: 71-2) models, there are some people out that that love em, and have a herd of them. but.....rarety or low prod numbers HAS nothing to do with value......
mopar wise people in YOUR area can give a better idea of what it is worth there. telling you what its worth in Il, or NY or Mo is beside the point....
my guess is around $5-6000 there. like some others guessed.... its a driver right now, with some partially mechanical workdone..... have ya got receipts to know what was spent where????? 95 360, O K...... no points there... etc interior? exh? tires? brakes? rearend? glass? chrome???? weatherstriping???frontend? etc etc
a guy buying it for a driver would like it better than a guy buying it to re do the body/paint...... it shows obvious filer work. all do. but its aged or not done correctly....
you asked, and you will get some answers. some you may not want to hear.
do like so many on craigslist, start asking the moon, and come done or if your buying..... decide what it is worth to you, that's all that matters.
and by the way, just because it come out odf Ca doesn't necessarily mean it is rustfree!!!!! LOL good luck

No where NEAR enough pictures to even venture a guess. Based on the bondo cracking, id say the body is probally rougher than you think....need a lot more pictures for sure.

This is not a 340 demon I'm guessing so unless it's been updated it has a weak rear end, weak springs, guessing 9" drum brakes, maybe 6 cyl tortion bars, those types of cars pop up in rusty IL and nobody here is paying much for them! Your in better shape in California I would much rather find one that hasn't been painted than one with amateur body work done .

Going by the pictures I think $5K is a little on the generous side. I personally would rather see faded original paint and know it needs paint, than really shiney paint with filler cracks anywhere. As they say - it hints at hidden issues. If the pictures were clearer that might change, but as seen, I'd offer $3-4K. It's a nothing car, with a 360 dropped in it. It doesn't have an 8 3/4, it doesn't have the scoops, it doesn't have the buckets and floor shift, and it does have filler done poorly enough to be cracking after far too short of a time.

Going by the pictures I think $5K is a little on the generous side. I personally would rather see faded original paint and know it needs paint, than really shiney paint with filler cracks anywhere. As they say - it hints at hidden issues. If the pictures were clearer that might change, but as seen, I'd offer $3-4K. It's a nothing car, with a 360 dropped in it. It doesn't have an 8 3/4, it doesn't have the scoops, it doesn't have the buckets and floor shift, and it does have filler done poorly enough to be cracking after far too short of a time.
I agree, and I bet a dollar, nobody that has said its worth that much would pay that either!

You do realize your asking seasoned veterans here who have been burned more than once and are probably on the stingy side to start with because they know how much $ they've shelled out for these cars over the years. That's your $4-5k figure. Now on Clist to a young guy with less overall knowledge may pay closer to $9-10k! All relative

take your magnet and check it out,then you will know.if all that is wrong with the body is what you said,you are good to offer 5k.a bodies just never went up with the rest of the mopars.i still understand why?bare bones i quess,but so were road runners.i have seen people asking 20-30k on ebay,never sold though.nice restored 340 70-73 cars get 15k so go from there

I would start at 2500.00 but I do agree with the 5K max that some of the members threw out there. Personally I would have to LOVE it to pay more that 3K. JMHO and 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee! :coffee2:

Lol, I've never heard of anyone wanting to pay more on a car, especially after getting a ball park appraisal on the car he wants to buy.

-
Back