1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Thanks all! Yes the end is in sight, I'm hoping to drive it by July 15th.

When I bought the Duster it came with the top, but it was from Year One. First thing is to get the top out of the box and let it sit in the sun to get the wrinkles out (mine had been in the box for 10 years).
Get at least 2 cans of 3M Super Trim Adhesive # 08090 , Autozone/Napa carry it.
Measure the center of the roof and the top, mark both
I tried to line up the A pillar seam location (approx 3" down the post) as the factory did. Then you can trim some material off, but leave more than enough extra material, although MEASURE 3 times cut once.
It helps to do it out in the sun, as the heat makes the top more pliable and easier to work with, IMO.
Once you have the center line marked on both, then start with one strip of glue down the center (approx 3" wide). Once tacky try to pull both ends taughnt and roll it into place, then press it down. Then lay the top out and see if its centered, I used the side seam to driprail gap as my locating point. Once its centered its time to start gluing one side at a time. Don't be shy with the glue & it tacks up pretty quick in the hot sun. I would pull then ends tight and unroll the top as my wife ran her hands along the seam to press the top down evenly. Once you get to the sides then you will stretch & pull it some to work the wrinkles out. You have to do the drip rail sides and the front A pillars at the same time, in order to get the top into the drip rail trough. I did the rear sides next, again a liittle stretching there. I used the handles of the scissors to run through the troughs. The window troughs were last. You'll have to mark or cut the holes for the window trim clips. I use a soldering iron to burn holes instead of cutting them (works on headliners and carpet too). Then its final trimming. The vinyl does not wrap under the drip rail trim, its cut off at the bottom edge.
The rear trim is help on with 3plastic clips that attach to the body posts/studs and one bolted on wire clip. I'll post pics of the when I get them. It easier to do than a headliner, IMO, but you really need two people when gluing the center.

The info is very helpful. So the trim adhesive worked fine. I wasn't sure whether to buy regular contact cement or use the aerosol stuff, now I know. On the rear trim what do the plastic clips attach to? I have welded on some little studs to hold mine. But are they small phillips head screws or welded studs? Thanks again.

I know when you finally get to drive it, you will be very happy. Just wondering how long does this restoration take? I am also intresting in the on the history of this car if you know what its been through. Man its one nice looking duster. Glad the car is in good hands. You ever thought about taking her to carlise maybe next year? I have never been but I heard great things from there. If you see a Dodge Demon 72 Black with white top and stripes its my dad. Its supposed to be put in a tent and I believe put in the mopar calandar.

Heres a pic of the pin, the locations and the molding. You can still see a shipping crease in the top, but its not really glued down back there yet. I'm waiting till the clips arrived so I can really stick it down for good.

As far as the resto goes I could have done it in about a year. However you are at the mercy of other peoples delays when having things done like paint, powdercoating, machine work, etc. Starting with a clean unmolested car really helped in my case. I was fortunate enough to talk to the orig owner and get the history of the car along with some good stories from back in the day. Having the proper tools for the job and the $ set aside ahead of time will makes things go faster too. Knowing your limitations and when to let other people do something comes with experience, but don't be afraid to try something new.
I'm pretty sure I've seen your Dads Demon as I have a "thing" for black Demons. A black Demon 340 left a lasting impression on me when I was 13/14.:D

Attachments

• Toptrim.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 962
  • Molding.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 940
  • Toppin.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 938
Will do!

Thanks to member 72Swinger340 for selling me the upper seatbelts I needed to finish off my interior. My old ones were blued and faded and quite frankly looks like **** when contrasted to the new headliner, seats, and carpet. Got those in this morning.

I was hoping to have the Duster done by now, obviously thats not happening. Kinda bummed about that but life comes before cars. Last week I got the trans and rear end pumpkin detailed. I didn't rebuild them because they worked fine before the resto and they will get replaced at some point. The color was a little brighter than I wanted but once the paint flew it was staying that color.

Here is the driveline ready to install. It should be detailed as found. The carb and wires are on for pics, not hooked up. I know the wires are not 100% correct, but they are Mopar stamped and half the price.

I was able to get the driveline installed today. Lots work by yourself but its done! This is a crappy pic. I had the cover on to prevent any scratches and dust. The wind will not stop around here.
Everything went well, no scratches or dings.
Although I did have a big moment when I tried to roll it back in the garage. My front body casters were fine rolling the body around..until I added the weight of the motor & trans. The drivers side caster almost folded under... After a quick dash for the jack and jackstands I hit the metal stash for some tie in supports. Longs story short it held and I barely got it back in the garage. Its up on jack stands now and will be rolling on its own wheels the next time.

Attachments

• Dusterdetail1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 851
  • Detail2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 858
  • Duster1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 854
  • Dusterengin.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 846
Lots of parts going back on now. Making sure I take my time using lube/ anti seize, loctite,and proper torque settings as it goes back together. I spent a good amount of time fighting a stubborn pitman arm, finally had to cut it, then use the puller. I have to redo the the lower control arm bushings because I forget to put a socket behind the sleeves as I installed them. In the process I stripped the threads on my pivots...so I finally got new ones this week. As long as some progress gets done each day, then its that much closer to being done. Once my wagon sells I'll be able to finish this car, but not until then. Heres some underside shots..

PS.. Can someone please buy my wagon for $3700?? Its super reliabe and a cool cruiser with cold A/C!!:D

Attachments

• Wagnoqn.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 800
  • Under2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 816
  • Under1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 799
very nice job on your duster! It looks awsome! I have a question, Did your duster originally come with those cardboard sail panels on the interior? I'v never seen that on a 70, or 71. ( and I'v owned a ton of these cars) I thought they started using those in 72. Can anyone jump in here and shed some light? just curious.

Thanks 68Gt. I've been watching the progress of your Dart and its coming along nicely! Keep up the great work.

Thanks FanofPetty!
Yes, my car had the sail panels originally. Heres a not so good picture of the drivers side one before I took them out. FWIW the new ones fit like crap and the original clips tear the board when you install them. My originals were to far gone to save.

Attachments

• Sailpanel.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 772
The Duster looks awesome! really like the shade of red you went with, could'nt help but notice that cool tarantula intake sticker too..where did you find that? it's cool :D

although I can appreciate every type of car on the forum, it's the resto's like this that I enjoy the most. Done correctly with the inspection marks replaced back where they were. Car is looking top shelf! great work...

I am still fairly new to this forum, but loving going through all the posts.

This resto is one of the best and most detailed I have seen in a very long time. Even at the car shows I go to, many people forget to do the factory paint markings on the axles, trans, etc. This Duster is going to be absolutely beautiful when it's done!!! =D>

Thanks everyone, the compliments really help the motivation to finish it.:prayer:

Demon, the stickers were on the car originally. I was able to find a new original one and had it reproduced for this resto. They were part of the cars past and wanted to keep it that way. I have a few left if you want one or two, PM your address.

Today's project is how to save $50. $9 Napa hoses and some stencils will give the factory appearance to the hoses.

Attachments

• Hoses.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 738
One of the hoses turned out good, the other will have to be redone (I let it dry too long). I saved close to $100 by going this route as opposed to going the repop route.

I went to Micheals (craft store) on Sunday and spent $5 on a fine point paint pen and stencil so I could duplicate the "KV" logo on the OE fuel lines. It took some trial and error but I got it down. Its the little details that like this that make the stock resto fun for me. It doesn't cost much and makes a big difference compared to a stock hose.

I got primer on the grille after fixing all the cracks for the 2nd time tonight. I plan on getting some paint on it this week.

I also got the lower control arm bushings and pivots shafts installed for the second time :banghead: Tomorrow will be painted with Krylon battery protectant for the cosmoline look.

Attachments

• Hosedn.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 706
  • KVhose.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 688
Where did you get the mount to lift the body I have been lookin for one?
And the stencils for the hoses?
How much would you want for one Hijackers sticker?

The mount for the body was just two pieces of L channel steel and a piece of tube welded to them. I use an axle/ tie down strap connected to the hoist, which works well with the tube. I made it myself.

My wife used her Cricut machine to make the stencils and I used an Xacto for the pentastar logo's.

The mount for the body was just two pieces of L channel steel and a piece of tube welded to them. I use an axle/ tie down strap connected to the hoist, which works well with the tube. I made it myself.

My wife used her Cricut machine to make the stencils and I used an Xacto for the pentastar logo's.

Ok thanks.

Thanks for posting the vinyl top pics that was helpful for my project. The rad hoses look excellent.

-
Back