1971 Duster 360/727

-
Can't answer that, is that when you have 4 different holes instead of just a big one? Then I think it is spread

The painted oil pan do fit, we'd just put it on the wrong way :p Now the new pickup fits as well.
Rumblefish: I added a picture of the intake
I also added a picture of the oil plate for the chain, I can't seem to find the bolts for it so I wonder if anyone on here knows the size of the them? Would be very nice, also if it is unf or unc.

And last but not least, the place I bought the cam, springs and retainers from sent me retainers for original valves and not aftermarket, so I couldnt fit the new springs/retainers. Asked some companies about it and they said that the springs already on the heads would do the job just fine.

18426929_10156238228782627_1342845833_o.jpg

18425844_10156238230797627_1522498901_n.jpg

18362578_10156214474777627_986988321_o.jpg

An Edelbrock Performer intake.

The three bolts are short. Local hardware store should have what you need.

Alright.
Yeah we don't have that much unf/unc bolts here locally since we use mm bolts :p I will try to measure and see what I can find but isnt these bolts supposed to have holes in them?

The lower right bolt has the hole which you do not have the earlier version of.
I'll look in my spare parts can for these bolts. I KNOW I have a spare set. When I find them, I'll let you know. It shouldn't be to long.

I put in the new freeze plugs and bolts today, didn't find my bolts though.
I might've sent them to the machine shop and they might've forgotten to send them back to me.

Thank you Rumblefish:)

Whew! 1 more box to go through later. Dinner first... I know I got these dang things and now I can't find them!
LMAO, ain't that always the way?!?!
Hang tight!

Haha yeah the things are always in the last box you check.. :p
Thanks for taking your time though.

Called a guy who had an 318 which he had removed the camshaft from, he said that he had four bolts for that plate and none of them had holes in them.
So I guess I can just put in ordinary bolts then? I remember taking off just three bolts, the little oil plate covered the bottom right hole.

Edit:
Found this article How to Assemble the Front of a Small Block
I am a bit confused..

It am so sorry but I just can't find these dang bolts. A figured I'd just send them to you.

Use a grade 8 strength bolt or better. Sorry, I do not know the thread size and count.

No worries, thanks anyway :)
But according to the article i linked to, the top left bolt should have a hole in it for oil supply to the chain. Should'nt there be a hole in the bolt for a 318 as well then?

There should be 4 holes, bottom right doesn't get a bolt unless the engine is old. And that would be the hollowed one. Otherwise, just 3 bolts. Bottom left and the top two.

Which year did they go from having hollow bolt top left to leaving the bolt out of the bottom right then?
I just want to make sure that I do this right so I dont mess my chain up or something.

I don't know when they moved away from the hollow bolt. As long as you have 3 bolts holding it down, your good to go.

I've read through some threads and everyone seems to have their own opinion on these cam thrust plate bolts.
Seems like there is two different plates and depending on the plate you either have the hollow plug or the drip plate and the best option is to have both, so I guess I'll buy some bolts and drill a hole in it.

IMO, that's why trouble than it's worth.

You are probably right and my local hardware store only have 5/16*19mm and I think they are too long

Okay, I got bolts with the right length now, I just have one last question about this thrust plate.
I noticed that both lower bolt holes are "hollow" as to say, won't there be oil coming through that bottom right hole since you cant get a bolt in there?

Took a look at the camshaft aswell and read a bit in the papers that followed, Comp cams apparently recommend that you pull the inner springs before break in of the cam? Is this really necessary? I also wonder if I measured right, that the bolt that goes into the camshaft is 3/8"? With fine threads.

Again, thank you for answering all of my stupid questions

Well I measured and bought some bolts, couldn't buy long enough bolts for the waterpump though.
Got the bolt for the thrust plate drilled anyways :)

Got the courage to put the camshaft in as well, easy as pie! I thought it would be hard and I were so afraid of damaging the bearings but it wasn't as hard as I thought.
Also assembled the timing chain.

Progress is slow, but still progress!

IMG_20170520_175954.jpg

IMG_20170520_183052.jpg

IMG_20170518_151010.jpg

So, I haven't posted a lot lately because I've felt so unmotivated about Everything.
Now a lot is happening, I am moving to a Little cabin in the Woods and I have actually been quite busy with putting the Engine together and finally got it in the car.
I had the wrong dipstick tube for the gearbox though so I have to lower it again and fit Another tube.
The Hedman headers also require some work on the steering and shifting linkage so I will have to go through that as well.
I also bought a used driveshaft that should fit like a glove so all the "big" parts are ready for mounting :)
Quite much still to do with wiring, fuel line, cooler lines etc but I feel like I am getting something done at least.
Didn't have any Pictures on this computer but here is proof of Engine in car!

Plymouth Duster (1971)

Nice to see you getting somewhere on your project,that car looks good! IF you for some reason end up needing to do some persuading with the good old tolerance adjustment tool better known as the BFH to make those headers fit, read the destructionsmanuial twice,think 3 times and then hammer once:)

Keep at it you will get there and it will be very worthwhile!

Yeah I hope I won't have to abuse them too much but after seeing the Roadkill Engine Masters episode about bashing headers I'm not that afraid of Hammering them ^^

-
Back