1971 La318 Starter issue?

-

Señor Ding Dong

Reaction score
Hello all. So I've got a 1966 Dart GT Convertible with a 1971 318 in it that I am looking to do a bit of work to over the winter. (Something along the lines of a 318WillRun style build). I figured I should do some compression tests to make sure the engine was a good candidate without needing a complete rebuild, since if that's the case, I'd rather not spend the money on a 318, but work on a 340 or 360 instead. That's all beside the point for the moment though. I pulled the plugs, unhooked the coil wire, and went to turn the engine over to start checking compression. The engine turned over once, then the starter just whined. It kept doing this. I thought it was maybe a battery not being charged up enough, but even when charged it kept happening. If I turned the motor over by hand, I heard an immediate click that sounded like the starter wheel disengaging. I discovered that if I kept the key turned, it would turn over once, whine for 3-4 seconds, then turn over again, then whine for 3-4 seconds, turn over, etc. etc. So the question is, is it a starter issue? It seems odd to me that it would turn over again while holding the key to 'start' if it was the starter sticking. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? If it is the starter, I believe I read that you can use a newer truck magnum starter on these?

Thanks!

Go ahead and put a starter from a V8 Dakota in the car, you will thank yourself later.

Sounds like a failed Bendix drive [ overrunning clutch ] in the starter.

Sounds like either a failed starter drive as mentioned, or some bad spots on the ring gear. A whole starter for a bad starter drive? Not this white boy. I'd repair the starter if that's what it is.

Hello all. So I've got a 1966 Dart GT Convertible with a 1971 318 in it that I am looking to do a bit of work to over the winter. (Something along the lines of a 318WillRun style build). I figured I should do some compression tests to make sure the engine was a good candidate without needing a complete rebuild, since if that's the case, I'd rather not spend the money on a 318, but work on a 340 or 360 instead. That's all beside the point for the moment though. I pulled the plugs, unhooked the coil wire, and went to turn the engine over to start checking compression. The engine turned over once, then the starter just whined. It kept doing this. I thought it was maybe a battery not being charged up enough, but even when charged it kept happening. If I turned the motor over by hand, I heard an immediate click that sounded like the starter wheel disengaging. I discovered that if I kept the key turned, it would turn over once, whine for 3-4 seconds, then turn over again, then whine for 3-4 seconds, turn over, etc. etc. So the question is, is it a starter issue? It seems odd to me that it would turn over again while holding the key to 'start' if it was the starter sticking. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? If it is the starter, I believe I read that you can use a newer truck magnum starter on these?

Thanks!
I would have to hear it. Mopar starters when they are good and the battery is fully charged will go Wing ding, ding, ding If yours doesn't spin over like this one you have issues.

Th eold mopar starter works fine some dont liek the sound. Truth be told if the car is running right you doont hear the windup toy effect as the car will fire right off on 1/2 turn. It sounds like "rernt whoom...." then the rumble.. if the car is goin "rerntdi di rernt didi rernrt didi..." a few times without firing off there is something wrong with the tune up.

One of these days when I get out to the garage again, I’ll take a video of what it’s doing. The car was running fine though, turning over fine and starting, running well. Until I pulled all the plugs to compression test. How can I tell if it’s the bendix gear, or the starter motor itself?

I dunno... arent there rebuild kits for them? Probably can do everything at home except the growler part...

Parts are all over ebay but you'll have more money in it than you get the newer style for. If you just have to have the old style then go for it. They are not hard to rebuild.

and the most common problem of all is a hi-resistance ground circuit.
The ground is from battery to block to bellhousing to starter body.
I have seen many cases where the starter nose oxidizes to the point of providing a poor connection, and then, when you turn the key, you never know what you are gonna get.
The test is simple; just grab your jumper cable and jumper from the starter body to the battery negative, then turn the key.

Sorry AJ, I do not see an oxidised starter nose as the cause of a poor ground connection.
There are two bolts/studs that bolt the starter to the bell housing & it this area where the ground connection is made.

Well this is an embarrassing update. I recorded it to upload here, and when watching it myself I realized that it’s turning over just fine. I have all the plugs out so there is no compression except on the cylinder with the compression tester. Hence the occasional proper sound with whining in between.

I’ll go get myself fitted for my dunce cap later today. Lol.

Thanks for all the helpful input though, everyone!

and the most common problem of all is a hi-resistance ground circuit.
The ground is from battery to block to bellhousing to starter body.
I have seen many cases where the starter nose oxidizes to the point of providing a poor connection, and then, when you turn the key, you never know what you are gonna get.
The test is simple; just grab your jumper cable and jumper from the starter body to the battery negative, then turn the key.
To clarify, the poor ground problem, if this happens, IS NOT from the starter nose to the block, but from the starter nose to the black starter actual motor housing,

Sounds like either a failed starter drive as mentioned, or some bad spots on the ring gear. A whole starter for a bad starter drive? Not this white boy. I'd repair the starter if that's what it is.
But don't forget that in today's society, most people are into toss the old part and buy a new one.
I would have to hear it. Mopar starters when they are good and the battery is fully charged will go Wing ding, ding, ding If yours doesn't spin over like this one you have issues.

Wing ding, ding, ding?
Well this is an embarrassing update. I recorded it to upload here, and when watching it myself I realized that it’s turning over just fine. I have all the plugs out so there is no compression except on the cylinder with the compression tester. Hence the occasional proper sound with whining in between.

I’ll go get myself fitted for my dunce cap later today. Lol.

Thanks for all the helpful input though, everyone!
If that is the worst car related thing you do this year, you are doing better than me. I have one of those, "Mike, you dumbass, what did you do now" moments all the time. BTW, where is Lindsay? My daughter lives in Aurora which is just north of Toronto.

But don't forget that in today's society, most people are into toss the old part and buy a new one.

Wing ding, ding, ding?

If that is the worst car related thing you do this year, you are doing better than me. I have one of those, "Mike, you dumbass, what did you do now" moments all the time. BTW, where is Lindsay? My daughter lives in Aurora which is just north of Toronto.
Yeah, I’m prone to frequent brain-farts.

Lindsay is about 60km/35 miles straight east of Aurora. Haven’t had much cause to spend a lot of time there, but I’ve been a few times. I grew up closer to Toronto than I live now.

I've got a junkyard V6 Dakota starter on my 414. No issues in 5000 miles.

-
Back