1971 Scamp limited....

-
I got my new water pump and brake shoes. I also got a wheel stud that was missing. Thanx to Tom for that, and a whack of stuff for the 73 340 Duster, but that's another thread. I installed the pump, but have not filled it with coolant yet. So I decided it was time to do some aesthetics. I bought two grills, a standard grill from gunmetal 72 and a sharktooth from badlilred79. I have pretty much completed the repairs on the shark and am repairing the standard. I'm near 100% sure the shark is going to be it, it looks mean, but I do have to try the other to be sure which I like better. Maybe I will change them up every once in a while.

That sharktooth grille really looks great and fits the look nicely.

looking awesome I like the sharktooth on it. Are you gonna leave the color the way it is?

Thanx, ya it will remain "whateveritscalled" :D for now. I want to drive it this summer so I don't want to get too deep into body work on this one. I don't mind this color anyway, there isn't any around here like it and that's just fine by me!

Wow..... You have a sharktooth grille! Looks awesome (actually looks bad and I think you should sell it to me....lol). Its great to see you making lots more progress on the Scamp. I like the way the car looks with slot mags on it. Kinda gives it a "don't mess with me" look to it. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the props on the parts George.
I think the shark's tooth looks good, and makes the car even more unique.
Nobody around here will have a car that looks like it!
I say go for it......

Wow..... You have a sharktooth grille! Looks awesome (actually looks bad and I think you should sell it to me....lol). Its great to see you making lots more progress on the Scamp. I like the way the car looks with slot mags on it. Kinda gives it a "don't mess with me" look to it. Keep up the great work!

Thanx Andy. Ya know, I was thinking of giving you this grill for Christmas. I was going to do it at The World Starting Over party, but that didn't happen so I guess I'll have to keep it now! :D

Thanks for the props on the parts George.
I think the shark's tooth looks good, and makes the car even more unique.
Nobody around here will have a car that looks like it!
I say go for it......

Thank You Tom! I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am without your help and knowledge base! :cheers:

Glad i could help in any way.
You've helped me a lot too George.
I do learn a lot off of FABO too, so you can thank all of the members here as well.
You keep going the way you're going, we'll have to have a car show at your place next year!

I decided to get back to work today. I replaced the rear wheel cylinders at the suggestion of 340sFastback. He advised me that with the discs up front I should go with a 15/16" master cylinder and 7/8" wheel cylinders. This will reduce leg effort when braking. The master is for a 73 340 Duster with power discs. I installed it in a manual braking system. Thanx man! :prayer: Then I replaced the brake shoes. Thanx to a buddy of mine, Rob, I have some nice drums to use. I took mine to his place to turn, but instead of turning them he brought me out a set of freshly spun replacements! Awesome. Lots of meat left on them. Thanx Rob! :prayer: So now I need to bleed the master and then push fluid though all the lines. They are all new with the exception of the line running from the splitter on the diff to the passenger side drum. After that I can put some gas in the tank, throw a seat in and take it for a burn. I still have to align the front end but it's close enough for a quick test drive! I will do that when I choose tires. Lastly I installed "The grill"! Which by the way, will be remaining.
Oh ya, I ran the engine yesterday for 15 minutes to check timing, bring it up to temp and check leaks. Timing was 10 BTDC, lucky distributor install! Ran really smooth and not one leak anywhere.....yet!

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 423
I decided to chase the temp gauge and fuel gauge issue. Well it ended up not solved but I removed the fuel tank. Guess I'll be ordering a new tank now. :banghead: Quite rusty inside. I won't be able to get a 71 style so it will be a little different than stock. This one has the weird 1971 only venting system.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 406
Thanx Brad, appreciate that. It's not going to be as nice as your Demon, but it should be a cool driver while I work on my others.
I just went to Summit and found out they do sell the 71 style tank. I guess I won't have to change anything after all, if they have them in stock. Kinda pricey though $239.95 but not as bad as Yearone and they don't list the one with four vent lines. I did find one at 521 Restorations, don't know anything about them, but it is $169.95!

This afternoon I bled the master cylinder and the lines with the help of my awesome wife and daughter. Had a few leaks. I built all the lines and used a cheapy double flare kit. The leaks were just cases of not tight enough, but there was a few! Anyway I got it down on all four wheels. I like the stance but the rims won't allow me to run the 245's unless I bend the lip a little. They are the ones from the front of the Demon but it was up on tall shackles. I don't want to go that way, did that when I was 16, know a "little" more now! I'll have to check the backspace on the others and see if they sit in a little more, I believe the do. Not sure what I'm going to do for sizes yet but I have been looking through the "Post your tire size thread" and have found quite a few I like. No 17's for me though, I like rubber. Anyway another night done. I think I'll have a beer....Ok another one!!

Attachments

• IMG_0935.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0938.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 381
For what it is worth, most people dont realize this, but if you go online to Autozone or O'reilly they do carry the 71 style fuel tanks and are made the exact same way that the $$$ ones are. I wish I had known before I replaced mine. BTW I do believe that they are manufactured in the USA which for me is equally as important as a good deal.

For what it is worth, most people dont realize this, but if you go online to Autozone or O'reilly they do carry the 71 style fuel tanks and are made the exact same way that the $$$ ones are. I wish I had known before I replaced mine. BTW I do believe that they are manufactured in the USA which for me is equally as important as a good deal.

Good point.
At the risk of being an interlooper on George's build thread......:D
The Spectra tank he's getting for the Scamp is made in Canada though, so all is good. :cheers:
I put one in my Dart Sport, and the quality and fit is excellent.
He helped me put mine in, and he decided to go with that brand for his build.

Out of curiosity, how much are they? I figured $169 from 521 Restorations was am awesome deal! The Autozone only works on U.S. zip codes, so I couldn't price it here. But they sell Spectra tanks, which are the same as i purchased.

Good point.
At the risk of being an interlooper on George's build thread......:D
The Spectra tank he's getting for the Scamp is made in Canada though, so all is good. :cheers:
I put one in my Dart Sport, and the quality and fit is excellent.
He helped me put mine in, and he decided to go with that brand for his build.

Yep that's right^^! The only sad part is being able to purchase a Canadian made product cheaper in the United States than here! :wack:

Sorry for the mis-info. They are spectra tanks which are really good, and they are still much cheaper around $200, but I'd say you got a really good deal on yours. I went with a later style tank on mine that didn't have the four vent tubes and saved a little $, but I still paid around $130 for mine.

This place has the 70 style tank
[ame="http://wscmotorsports.com/downloads/mopar/mopar%207076Abody%20catalog%200105.pdf"]http://wscmotorsports.com/downloads/mopar/mopar%207076Abody%20catalog%200105.pdf[/ame]

George, if you want me to get you a price for the tank, I do work for Spectra and they are just down the street from me.

George, if you want me to get you a price for the tank, I do work for Spectra and they are just down the street from me.

Damn I'm always a day late and a dollar short! Sure Mike, see what you can get them for. Both styles, 71 and later. The reason being is we may need three or four more over in the next couple months. That would be much appreciated. But I have to say 521 did give me an awesome deal! Let me know what you know when you know then we'll both know! :D

Yes Tom I'm home! I'm actually pouring a coffee and heading out right now to.............do something. Maybe just sit and ponder! Picked up some 15" road wheels with rings and caps yesterday while I was in Calgary. Gotta unload and inspect them. Thought they might look good on the Duster.

-
Back