1971 Swinger Build \6-V8 Swap

-
Hey Man I found your posts. Looks like your build is coming along nicely bro. I'll check in from time to time to see how your progressing. So excited for u man! Love the 71'

Hey man! hows it going? did ya get those pipes bolted up yet? hope everythings going to plan the way u like. I'll check back from time to time and see how your doing. looking good bro.

Howdy friends I come bearing good news on this build so far, After recent enquiries from listings of availability of parts. I have upgraded with soon pictures to come from a Hooker $120 headers to Doug's D453 headers for 380$. I am in the process of trying to conundrum how to get a scare bird backing plate to match with a aftermarket rear disk brake kit, and also with good news a friend of mine will be bringing his mandrel Bender. So we can get the exhaust connected and group with a few friends to get the car turning over with any luck hopefully before the end of August.

Now trying to be current the Doug's headers are now installed, 2.5" exhaust has been cut, welded,& clean prepped and mock up fitted successfully.
In waiting atm for engine wiring harness from year one, which has been a several month delay to say the least. Also finally caved, threw in the wrench and git me a pair of 72 demon rear drum brake system. Making my new rear axle complete.

20200620_133314.jpg

20200923_211617.jpg

Last edited:
What are the gosh Shartin odds I sign in the almost exact year in different from where I was. I am excited to tell you that I am completely able to do engine start up tomorrow and by the end of this month be able to go drive it to get it registered at the DMV Wish me the best,
20220106_155830.jpg
help post any information for 1st time start up for a open 7 ¼ rear axle A904 transmission and 318 from 1986 Van, all crammed into a 71 Swinger. It has been a long time. Please understand and be able to help me get to the checkered end mark tp make this a darn daily.

Need to also patch a tear in the exhaust outlet, during mockup fitting. But good news is I needed to shorten both by a few inches, at least I have a starting. May splurge on 2.5" 15° or 45° elbows. Dare I say it? Any tips? Or advice?

Currently from the back-to-front the 7¼ to 8 3/4 swap was relatively simple as well as upgrading from the 10" to 11" drum brakes. Originally wanted this to be all around disc but for originality's sake and conversion sake this is much easier to get down the road at a earlier date. Hardware swaped over, brake cables also worked, and down to the lines swapped over with little to 4" of cutting and flaring. Hotchkis springs, urethayne, and rubber mix bushings. Stock perches for stock ride height " possibly upside down perch install".

Fighting currently driveshaft lengths, own one 52 ⅜" and 2 other longer 7¼ drive shafts. One is short and other 2 are too long. Short one when installed makes a clicking type noise before park gear attemps to engage. Did I do something wrong? Missing something? Sticks out of the 904 tail cone more then original marking show.

20230417_140537.jpg

SBP A-Body Axles with green bearings, going up to current news. 904 Is leaking from pan, engine leaks coolant from driver side head, and power steering needs to come out regardless due to leak. Need to set lokar linkage on trans kickdown. Shifter now obstrucing driveshaft clearance. Solder header in a pin hole due from fittament setting in bolt to block. Found scrap steel on road now fabricated a circular plate to cover heater box hole in meantime.

-
Back