1972 Dodge Colt

-
Do have a Praxair, I went in there yesterday wanting to look at a smaller gas welding tip. Stopped me at the door, can't go in and look at or touch items.

You have to have a mask, but they won't let you walk around. You have to tell them what you are looking for and they either go get it or tell you what they have.

@$#$@#&&*()%(%^#@@@@$!@#$%#$
That's all i have to say on that. OK, there's a lot more i want to say but we don't need this thread being move to to the political area.

This weeks progress.
I needed to put the crank back in, to mount the flywheel, to fit the starter.
So I had to take a lot apart to put it back together.
The starter needs a .250 spacer to move back from the flywheel and a fixture to hold the bottom starter bolt. It looks like the V8 starter location will work and I won't have to cut a hole in the block plate. All this works because I have a starter that doesn't need a nose support.
I needed a TIG welder to do my frame mid plate mounts.
So I sold my MIG welder and bought a Primeweld TIG machine.
That came today, so I need to get up to speed on that.
Also got my valve cover back after getting it cleaned.
It's going to need polishing, but it is clean now.
Also found a Marine aluminum pan. Cast aluminum, 10 quart with baffles.
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG

Found a machine shop in Dallas to fix my Rack and Pinion support. Nice shop, I will be back there for sure. Lindsey Machine. Liberty called, they are working on my case and my gear set.
R&P Mount 2.JPG
R&P Mount.JPG

I don't have to take this abuse!
That damn Lancer killed me, I am trying to act like a racer, not a show car builder.

Personally, I like the look of the unpolished aluminum on race cars. A lot of race cars look more like show cars rather than their intended purpose. The only reason anything on my race car has any gloss to it is because of powder coating for ease of cleaning.

Finished welded the transmission mount today.
As you can see I needed a bunch of clamps to hold all the parts together.
Tomorrow I will bead blast and paint the parts.
Now I can remove the mock up block and weld the mid plate tabs.
Also shipped the SW Tach down to Houston for repair.
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG

Painful welding lesson. So you see guys on TV welding in shorts, and barehanded and standing in water, so I figure this TIG stuff is easy on the body. Well after an hour of my first practice session, my legs started to sting. After a while they started hurting. Here is about 2 weeks of healing! So I learned I don't need my leathers, but you do need some covering!
IMG_0246.JPG

I finished one side of the engine mid-mounts. I should have the other side done tomorrow and then reinstall the engine to resume header welding. Here you can see 2 mount tabs and the notched mid mount tube.
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG

Not perfect, but it ain't gona fall out.

Last edited:
dang, i feel your pain. did almost as bad with the mig one time. took a couple weeks for it to stop hurting

It looks worse than it is. All good now.

I modified the crossmember that came with the car. It had a chebbie insulator so I cut it into a couple of pieces and added what I needed. It bolts directly to the tailshaft extension.

Finished the mid plate brackets today.
Everything worked as planned.
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG

Crossmember.

IMG_0254.JPG

I added one more tab on the pass side.
I have started putting it back together for the Dallas Show.
This is the tach I will use for the first start.
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Colt at the Mini Nats. If anyone feels so inclined, come find me in the swap meet area. Just look for the white Dodge Caravan & the old guy with long hair. LMAO

I converted the Colt to right hand drive and tilted the slant the other way while I was working in the garage the other day.
Before Dallas Show.jpeg

-
Back