1974 Dart Sport “Desert Rat”

-
D3F2E3BB-D315-4BEE-9956-216B75910B59.jpeg
958478D5-EC50-480B-9496-1330AFE086B4.jpeg
Wow looks like you have a nice start. The paint looks amazing to be original. I love that color although im partial that was the original color of my 75 dart too!

I test buffed the front filler panel to see if I would be able to achieve the perfect patina look with the original paint but still have it shine nicely.
I really can’t wait to see it all polished with the new stripes and vinyl top!

I think I want to do a AAR-T/A style blackout on the hood and cowl with a 73 style scoop (of course! I had one on my 77 4 speed Petty Blue F body Roadrunner and loved them since!) sonce the hood has some dents I’d like to fix anyway. SEM Hot Rod Black kit or some 9700 Black and some cheap matte clear (I’ve used and liked) in the past.

It won’t be OE correct but hopefully will be a no harm no foul being it’s just a 318er that isn’t number matching and could be put back to 100% if wanted when properly restored.

Tail panel will receive a matching matte finish also. I think the matte black will look nice with the brown/white/parchment combo.
I wish there was a rear deck spoiler like that one on the Roadrunner! The blackout (and scoop) are not correct but that could almost pass as factory and that’s what I always go for with anything I build.

I imagine this set of 15x7” Dodge Magnum wheels with (was) NOS 1971 Ralley wheel centers will probably have to be at least test fit on the DS if only for pictures. Too bad they are just sitting in my storage unit taking up space, they didn’t get 200 miles on them before I sold the runner with the factory 6” Ralley wheels.

View attachment 1715268355 View attachment 1715268356

I test buffed the front filler panel to see if I would be able to achieve the perfect patina look with the original paint but still have it shine nicely.
I really can’t wait to see it all polished with the new stripes and vinyl top!

I think I want to do a AAR-T/A style blackout on the hood and cowl with a 73 style scoop (of course! I had one on my 77 4 speed Petty Blue F body Roadrunner and loved them since!) sonce the hood has some dents I’d like to fix anyway. SEM Hot Rod Black kit or some 9700 Black and some cheap matte clear (I’ve used and liked) in the past.

It won’t be OE correct but hopefully will be a no harm no foul being it’s just a 318er that isn’t number matching and could be put back to 100% if wanted when properly restored.

Tail panel will receive a matching matte finish also. I think the matte black will look nice with the brown/white/parchment combo.
I wish there was a rear deck spoiler like that one on the Roadrunner! The blackout (and scoop) are not correct but that could almost pass as factory and that’s what I always go for with anything I build.
Wow thar that is a beautiful car. I love those aspens and volures. I had a crazy idea for a hood on my car i wanted to do an aar cuda style hood scoop on my dart. Im not 100% sure it would look good on a beak car tho. I saw a guy did one on here with a 64 barracuda and it looked amazing. And i found one online a guy did one on a duster and it looks really cool but im not sure about on a beak car. Here is the duster. Im not sure who had the barracuda maybe he will see this and chime in.

6039769773_1506d15a44_b.jpg

Wow thar that is a beautiful car. I love those aspens and volures. I had a crazy idea for a hood on my car i wanted to do an aar cuda style hood scoop on my dart. Im not 100% sure it would look good on a beak car tho. I saw a guy did one on here with a 64 barracuda and it looked amazing. And i found one online a guy did one on a duster and it looks really cool but im not sure about on a beak car. Here is the duster. Im not sure who had the barracuda maybe he will see this and chime in.

View attachment 1715268359
I love that AAR Duster! That thing is cool and very well done.

Last edited:
516D1982-71B0-43A1-8B10-6B9AC88C8DA3.jpeg
1280BEF2-466E-4DD3-B49D-9913A64579BA.jpeg
45B8E06C-AEB4-4894-80A8-7DB4DE744482.jpeg
1BB49326-9AB7-4149-B4CF-9990322B620A.jpeg
Here’s a peak at the paint. Light cutting compound, wool pad and about 1000 RPM should give me the perfect marrage of original and weathered (patina)
I’ve been doing paint restoration for 20 years or more and really love doing this to something worthwhile.

View attachment 1715268367 View attachment 1715268368 View attachment 1715268369 View attachment 1715268370 Here’s a peak at the paint. Light cutting compound, wool pad and about 1000 RPM should give me the perfect marrage of original and weathered (patina)
I’ve been doing paint restoration for 20 years or more and really love doing this to something worthwhile.
Looks good! Is that color T5 ?
I really kick myself for repainting my car. When I was a kid I hated the original color now that im older I love it.

View attachment 1715266881 View attachment 1715266882 View attachment 1715266883 View attachment 1715266884 View attachment 1715266885 View attachment 1715266886 View attachment 1715266887 View attachment 1715266888 I have the dashboard pretty well restored and almost ready to go! I restored all of the gauges cluster trim and dash pad.
I’m trying to do this car as a budget build buying all parts online and as inexpensive as possible.
There are many threads on restoring gauge bezels and to do it on the cheap I used ALSA killer chrome spray cans to restore the chrome on the dash, not exactly chrome but better than spray paint.
The dashboard had of been cut previously so I clean the area up and installed a alpine Bluetooth receiver which complements the chrome trim on the dashboard fairly well in my opinion.
I’m fairly happy with how it’s turning out so far.

Hey man we are in Sonoita restoring a '72 Duster. Is that wood grain decals or are they painted? If decals where did you get them?

Just saw the link. Thanks.

Thanks!
Jim

Hey man we are in Sonoita restoring a '72 Duster. Is that wood grain decals or are they painted? If decals where did you get them?

Thanks!
Jim

They make them for the 72s also, I did a 1970 ralley dash the same way back in 07-08

Thanks!
Jim
That dash looks amazing dont it? Im gonna get some of those decals also.

57D38B9B-4F93-4DAB-B595-47DDA3155FCC.jpeg
Got a little further, getting ready to -
- finish AC box and re install
- install vinyl top/trim
- dashboard
- Windshield
- buff entire car
- finish and paint trunk floor

Already finished-

- welded in replacement tire well
- bought Magnum 360 5.9L
- POR15 floorboards
- wetsanded entire car with #3000
- prepped and sealed roof for vinyl top

0DCAA4E5-197F-489C-8D5A-C533A2D3AE6D.jpeg
B06CE4F3-DF02-4AA6-BCC8-5E130122E694.jpeg
9454696E-44EC-4D16-B716-08C7F56982B7.jpeg
8DA628D9-9CA4-4F6E-8939-D8AB465AE174.jpeg

Nice car and a good project. I've been out of touch for a while so imagine my surprise to fine a car named after me.
Have to think of a name for my Barracuda now.

Congrats on finding this duster and getting into the "warm" part of the world!!!! I get excited just as you every time i drag a homeless Moper home!!!! I have a 71 duster now but have owned 3-4 beakers and personally I see nothing wrong with any of it! Hood, grill tail lights, I don't understand some people's pregidice toward them. I also have a 76 roadrunner and like the 77 stripes better, I think I will do it as a " mask and paint deal" and crew the cost of decals!!!!! I look forward to your progress.

I need to figure out what rear end is in my Dart Sport? Obviously I’d love to put a 8.75 in as I have 3 extra 489 center sections... but damn are they pricy!!! And I’m cheap when it comes to this one.
I’d like to have a sure grip unit and 3.55-3.91 gears in the original rear end. I wouldn’t ever hurt it, now the next guy might!
It won’t see strip duities, only an occasional burnout or two!

Obviously it’s a 2.76 open rear. But what size... 7.25?

E02FA849-771A-463F-911E-9058B6D8437E.jpeg

C85744EC-C7A2-4265-B333-D1C8C5BDBF4B.jpeg

Nice car and a good project. I've been out of touch for a while so imagine my surprise to fine a car named after me.
Have to think of a name for my Barracuda now.
That’s just the post name! The cars aptly nicknamed “SunBURNT” because the paint is mostly burned off.
It sure looks better in pictures. I wish it wasn’t as blotchy as it is but I think once I’m done it will have a really cool “SunBURNT” look to it!

Mine had a 8 1/4 and it always seemed like the rear tires set in and we're on a narrower track than the fronts. I had a 8 3/4 with a 3.91 sure grip from a 66 charger that I relocated the spring pads on and it made the rear tires sit centered of the wheel wells. Hard to tell with the new wheels on but the track looked right while it had the stock rallyes.
Part of the problem is that the bulging quarter panels give the impression of the axle being too narrow. Also, if this is a front disc car, the disc brake setup has a 1 inch wider overall track as compared to the drum cars.
The 68-70 B body 8 3/4" axle is an excellent swap. It has the desired larger bolt pattern and fills out the wheelwells using even a 15x7 wheel.

Part of the problem is that the bulging quarter panels give the impression of the axle being too narrow. Also, if this is a front disc car, the disc brake setup has a 1 inch wider overall track as compared to the drum cars.
The 68-70 B body 8 3/4" axle is an excellent swap. It has the desired larger bolt pattern and fills out the wheelwells using even a 15x7 wheel.
Would this require moving spring pads like Sport74 was talking about?

That is what I am told, not much and you can force it but to do it right they need to be cut off and rewelded. I am going to get mine 8 3/4" this weekend if all works out so I will be documenting the surgery in my thread in the coming weeks.

1972 Duster Build with my Daughter

Yeah, but it is an easy job. I've done it several times. The B body axle is NOT a good fit for any Valiant or Dart EXCEPT for the Demon or Dart Sport. The low hanging wheel opening arches make for a real tight fit.

-
Back